2023 Commies training camp thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-10-2023, 10:46 AM   #136
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: 2023 Commies training camp thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I agree there should be balance. I love the idea of having a dominant D-line of course, but it does seem to be at the expense of building stronger position groups elsewhere.

And yes, you're dreaming. No one trades away a young balling LT. You may get one in free agency like O Brown Jr this year though - but you have to be willing to pay up. My guess is financially and with the ownership change, we weren't even in the market for him.
We did that....
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #137
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I think the thing w/ EB is he has to learn that he can't treat everyone the same. Some guys respond to hard coaching and other don't. So much of coaching these days isn't about X's and O's. Can he manage people a certain way to get the best out of them? Maybe McLaurin and Robinson can take real hard coaching, while maybe Gibson doesn't.

Sure it sounds great that he's no nonsense, these guys need that and what not - but I'd be concerned that his style is outdated. It wears thin on guys quickly and that is perhaps why, or one of the reasons he was constantly being passed over for head jobs.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:53 AM   #138
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Only 20 more games to go in the Ron Rivera era.
I think if the team gets off to a slow start, or they're eliminated from the playoffs early then it'll be sooner.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:59 AM   #139
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think the thing w/ EB is he has to learn that he can't treat everyone the same. Some guys respond to hard coaching and other don't. So much of coaching these days isn't about X's and O's. Can he manage people a certain way to get the best out of them? Maybe McLaurin and Robinson can take real hard coaching, while maybe Gibson doesn't.

Sure it sounds great that he's no nonsense, these guys need that and what not - but I'd be concerned that his style is outdated. It wears thin on guys quickly and that is perhaps why, or one of the reasons he was constantly being passed over for head jobs.
From what Keim has said, Gibson has been praising EB and feels he's in the best shape of his life due to the intensity of practice.

While I agree with some that Ron probably stuck his foot in his mouth, but then again this was very likely to go out into the media. IMO it is a damn if you do/damn if you don't situation.

That said, my biggest issue is that there are players that are complaining, yet these m'fers haven't done squat on offense and I don't mind EB's approach.

As Keim has said, EB is intense in both negative and positive praise of players. I'm fine with him working their assess off, they need to shape up and produce.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:52 AM   #140
irish
Playmaker

Quote:

I think that's why he left or was "told" to leave KC. If he was such a hot commodity why in the world would he come here when he knows RR and the coaching staff will likely be gone (new owners or not). IMO he came here because he had nowhere else to land.

I hope his offense lights things up here but if this team doesn't win again this year The new owners will send RR and all the coaches (including EB) packing.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:55 PM   #141
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
We did that....
TW was an "older" balling LT ...probably the best LT at the time of the trade though. But he was not going to play for Washington anymore, so it wasn't like there was a choice to retain him, thanks to BA and Company.

Maybe I should have said teams don't willingly trade those guys.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #142
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:

IMO, this is why he has not gotten a chance at a head coaching job. Like it or not, some really good players to do respond well to extremely hard coaching. And alienating that group of players really shrinks the talent pool.
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:16 PM   #143
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Actually, I think he'd be better off treating the players the same rather than treating players differently. Treating some players differently for the same mistakes is where he will have a lot more issues, in my opinion. Curtis Samuel said it best: "When you have a coach that's being tough and hard on you, it's because he wants the best out of you." Once the softies realize that, it will be fine...and if they can't get on board with that, I'd rather they play for a different team.
Old 08-10-2023, 02:20 PM   #144
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
TW was an "older" balling LT ...probably the best LT at the time of the trade though. But he was not going to play for Washington anymore, so it wasn't like there was a choice to retain him, thanks to BA and Company.

Maybe I should have said teams don't willingly trade those guys.

Lol yeah I was just being sarcastic
Old 08-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #145
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Actually, I think he'd be better off treating the players the same rather than treating players differently. Treating some players differently for the same mistakes is where he will have a lot more issues, in my opinion. Curtis Samuel said it best: "When you have a coach that's being tough and hard on you, it's because he wants the best out of you." Once the softies realize that, it will be fine...and if they can't get on board with that, I'd rather they play for a different team.
Agreed. Also I love Dotson's response below, from Keim's article. I laughed when I read the last sentence. Spoke like a true professional player.

"You've got to look at it for a bigger purpose. He's coaching you hard because he believes in you. He wants you to succeed. You've got to realize that even when he's getting on you about something you did wrong, he wants to make sure you get it right so on Sundays you don't make a fool of yourself."
Old 08-10-2023, 04:36 PM   #146
calia
Playmaker

Honestly, it seems like this whole "EB is too intense" story is overblown. I admit I may not have seen it, but even if players went to Rivera and expressed that sentiment, we don't know how many, how much of a concern they expressed, whether they were team leaders purporting to speak on anyone else's behalf, or much else about this. Or at least, I haven't seen anything about that. For all we know it was a couple of middling players that EB singled out for underwhelming effort, which is hardly a mutiny. Moreover, any number of quotes from players -- like the Dotson and Samuel quotes above -- suggest that this is much ado about nothing.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:27 PM   #147
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
Honestly, it seems like this whole "EB is too intense" story is overblown. I admit I may not have seen it, but even if players went to Rivera and expressed that sentiment, we don't know how many, how much of a concern they expressed, whether they were team leaders purporting to speak on anyone else's behalf, or much else about this. Or at least, I haven't seen anything about that. For all we know it was a couple of middling players that EB singled out for underwhelming effort, which is hardly a mutiny. Moreover, any number of quotes from players -- like the Dotson and Samuel quotes above -- suggest that this is much ado about nothing.
It is overblown. This fanbase and the media are so used to the f*ckery that would come out of this team that I feel that they're going to overreact to everything now.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 02:53 AM   #148
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
It is overblown. This fanbase and the media are so used to the f*ckery that would come out of this team that I feel that they're going to overreact to everything now.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-11-2023, 06:40 AM   #149
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Thank god we have football today…

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:09 AM   #150
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
From what Keim has said, Gibson has been praising EB and feels he's in the best shape of his life due to the intensity of practice.

While I agree with some that Ron probably stuck his foot in his mouth, but then again this was very likely to go out into the media. IMO it is a damn if you do/damn if you don't situation.

That said, my biggest issue is that there are players that are complaining, yet these m'fers haven't done squat on offense and I don't mind EB's approach.

As Keim has said, EB is intense in both negative and positive praise of players. I'm fine with him working their assess off, they need to shape up and produce.
Yeah I heard AG said that and I was just using him as an example. Also like that they are putting him in as the 3rd down back. This is his best position I feel. I expect AG to have a great year in this role.