Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #136
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Our next coach??

My choices not in any order...

Marty and son Brian Schottenheimer. Marty is proven at turning teams around. Eat some crow Danny, bring them both in. Hire Marty as HC/GM and his son as OC. Give Marty a 3yr HCing contract with the understanding he will move to GM if he does well. At the 3yr mark he can let his son Brian move to HC.

or, if after the season ends and Fisher has been fired then bring in Fisher. Locate a GM who can work with him.

See if Chris Polian will take the job and maybe bring in Asst. HC Christensen from the Colts and make him HC. Maybe he can bring some assistants in or swindle P.Manning to help out coaching the QB's in learning the offense.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #137
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Per PFT sorry guys I know no one likes them. Just passing on some more news or rumors.

Schottenheimer's name surfaces in Buffalo
Posted by Mike Florio on November 23, 2009 9:15 PM ET
If the Buffalo Bills won't be able to get Bill Cowher, maybe they'll target his mentor.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that former Browns, Chiefs, Redskins, and Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer could land on the list of candidates to coach the Buffalo Bills.

Schottenheimer, who was fired by San Diego in February 2007 following a 14-2 regular season that ended in a first-round playoff loss to the Patriots, has said that he has no plans to coach again.

If he were to return to the game, Schottenheimer surely would need control over the football operation. He didn't have it with the Chargers, and Marty repeatedly clashed with G.M. A.J. Smith.

Then again, Marty negotiated full authority over the roster, draft, etc. in Washington, and he was fired after only one year.

Other potential candidates to replace Dick Jauron (and interim coach Perry Fewell) include Florida Tuskers (UFL) coach Jim Haslett and Montreal Alouettes (CFL) coach Marc Trestman.

This does not make me happy. I was sooo hoping DS would eat a little, just a little crow and bring back Marty who is proven to turn teams around and throw the whole ball of wax at him and say fix this problem.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 AM   #138
MTK
\m/

I think it's pretty doubtful Marty comes back at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #139
SBXVII
Franchise Player

More news/rumors by them...

Buzz building for Holmgren to Seahawks
Posted by Mike Florio on November 23, 2009 8:53 PM ET
The chatter is intensifying regarding a possible return by former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren to the organization with which he spent ten seasons, from 1999 through 2008.

We've been hearing the talk for a while, and the contractual status of current President of Football Operatons/G.M. Tim Ruskell could set the stage for Ruskell to depart after the year sans buyout, and for Holmgren to return as the high man on the totem pole.

There's even some talk it could happen within the next week or two, despite the reality that Holmgren could be hired only after at least one minority candidate is interviewed for the job.

But it's unclear whether the league would permit "permanent" hires of this nature to be made during the season, since possible candidates under contract with other teams cannot be considered until the season ends.

Regardless of how it all plays out, the Seahawks can't be overlooked as a potential candidate to re-employ Holmgren, who also is widely believed to be under consideration to join the Browns.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #140
SBXVII
Franchise Player

and yet more.....

Bills contact Bill Cowher
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 23, 2009 8:08 PM ET
The Buffalo Bills aren't going after coordinators this time around.

Frustrated by a decade of futility, Bills owner Ralph Wilson is hunting big game in the coaching field. He's expected to meet with Mike Shanahan this week, and the NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the team also contacted Bill Cowher last week.

Cowher's policy is that he isn't interested in discussing any jobs until after the season -- out of respect to CBS and current coaches.

While nothing will happen on the Cowher front for a while, The Chin is reportedly closer to returning to coaching that he has been since retiring. And Buffalo will reportedly spend big bucks.

A "source close to Cowher" told NFL Network that compensation in Buffalo could reach $10 million-per-season. (Spittle comes free.) It sounds like Wilson is willing to pay a lot, but he also has to be worried about being used to drive up a coach's price for another team.

No matter how things shake out, it would be surprising if Wilson doesn't have plenty of competition for Shanahan and Cowher.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #141
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Apparently Cowher has hinted that he wouldn't mind the Bears job, not interested in the Bills job, and not surprisingly definitely interested in Carolina.

I could see Marty in Buffalo, I think he'd prefer to be in the AFC and Buffalo (the city-of which I actually know nothing) seems to fit his personality.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #142
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Heard on NBC tonights late news, Jerry Gray is in consideration for a college coaching job. Don't know more than that...

I like what i have heard from him, I imagine he will go somewhere else next year
It's looking more and more likely that he'll be coaching Fred Smith's son in Memphis. He's definitely a finalist
Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #143
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

If Holmgren took Seattle's GM would he hire Zorn after we fire him(assuming we do)
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #144
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Apparently Cowher has hinted that he wouldn't mind the Bears job, not interested in the Bills job, and not surprisingly definitely interested in Carolina.

I could see Marty in Buffalo, I think he'd prefer to be in the AFC and Buffalo (the city-of which I actually know nothing) seems to fit his personality.
Bears? I must be oblivious. I didn't even know they were thinking about canning their HC? I thought the only teams were

Bills
Browns
Skins
Panthers
Titans

and contingent on how well they do this yr...
Dallas
Chargers

I get the feeling I'm missing someone but I didn't think it was the Bears?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #145
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

A Shanahan/Cutler reunion could happen in Chicago if they continue to slide. I'm wondering at this point if the fan base will be more excited by a name coach or by an unknown but well respected GM. I think as long as the Vinny/Zorn show mercifully ends we will all be happier.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #146
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Bears? I must be oblivious. I didn't even know they were thinking about canning their HC? I thought the only teams were

Bills
Browns
Skins
Panthers
Titans

and contingent on how well they do this yr...
Dallas
Chargers

I get the feeling I'm missing someone but I didn't think it was the Bears?

After the last month I think Fischer stays there. Tenn is one of the better teams right now in football.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #147
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
A Shanahan/Cutler reunion could happen in Chicago if they continue to slide. I'm wondering at this point if the fan base will be more excited by a name coach or by an unknown but well respected GM. I think as long as the Vinny/Zorn show mercifully ends we will all be happier.
I wouldn't be shocked if we fired Zorn and hired Blache to take over full time. I'm surprised his name hasn't bubbled to the top. Bring in a new O-coordinator and retain Sherm Lewis. I know Blache has talked about retiring, but money talks and you would maintain some sense of continuity on the defensive side of the ball.

If Blache steps up or is even offered the deal, then I wouldn't mind us going after Greg Manusky for the 49ers to be our D-Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach. At the very least, I think Blache and Sherm Lewis get an interview because of the Rooney Rule.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #148
redsk1
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if we fired Zorn and hired Blache to take over full time. I'm surprised his name hasn't bubbled to the top. Bring in a new O-coordinator and retain Sherm Lewis. I know Blache has talked about retiring, but money talks and you would maintain some sense of continuity on the defensive side of the ball.

If Blache steps up or is even offered the deal, then I wouldn't mind us going after Greg Manusky for the 49ers to be our D-Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach. At the very least, I think Blache and Sherm Lewis get an interview because of the Rooney Rule.
Blache wanted to retire prior to the Zorn hiring. DS convinced him not too. I don't think there's much of a chance of Blache as a head coach.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #149
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post

I was thinking along the same lines as you, only instead of Blache how about Jerry Gray?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #150
MTK
\m/

Yeah if the Bears continue to crash & burn there could be a change there at HC.