Other 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #256
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Re: Skins 38 Browns 21 post game thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
Supposedly one of the things Vinny was infamous for, was going against the scouts recommendations.
Hmmm.....Maybe the scouting department isn't to blame then. At any rate, I'm glad to see the scouting department is locating those players with great potential to be rock solid NFL talent.

Advertisements
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #257
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Few things here

-Remember that Mike Shanahan is also the VP of Football Operations, so he's in charge of player personnel

-Scott Campbell was brought in by Marty, so he's been around for a long time

-Bruce Allen's main job is really to keep the whole organization (football and otherwise) running smoothly and his role in the player selection process is really more in the sense of overseeing the process and making sure Mike Shanahan has everything he needs (that said, the idea of stocking up on mid to late round draft picks has the Allen imprint on it)

-Really Bruce Allen is like Rich McKay, the Falcons President. I think one reason he was given the title of General Manager was that there were so many complaints that the Redskins didn't have a "General Manager" so they just gave Allen that title, though he's not the traditional GM that people think of.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #258
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Few things here

-Remember that Mike Shanahan is also the VP of Football Operations, so he's in charge of player personnel

-Scott Campbell was brought in by Marty, so he's been around for a long time

-Bruce Allen's main job is really to keep the whole organization (football and otherwise) running smoothly and his role in the player selection process is really more in the sense of overseeing the process and making sure Mike Shanahan has everything he needs (that said, the idea of stocking up on mid to late round draft picks has the Allen imprint on it)

-Really Bruce Allen is like Rich McKay, the Falcons President. I think one reason he was given the title of General Manager was that there were so many complaints that the Redskins didn't have a "General Manager" so they just gave Allen that title, though he's not the traditional GM that people think of.
One thing i do wish we could improve on is our acquisition of defensive talent in the draft. If you look at our picks since Shanahans been here, we've had much more success with the offensive players drafted than defense. As an offensive coach, it makes sense that Shanahan would be better at selecting players to run HIS scheme. Maybe we can fill our defensive needs mostly in FA.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #259
12thMan
MVP

GM is a pretty fluid term nowadays, anyway. Some NFL teams employ a more traditional approach, others don't. Ozzie Newsome is a good example of a traditional, old school GM. The Broncos, on the other hand, recently fired their GM. But everyone knows it's been John Elway's show since the day he arrived a couple of years ago. The roster has Elway's fingerprints on it and they probably won't be hiring a traditional GM anytime soon.

Bruce Allen, as it's been mentioned, is more of an executive type who's not really involved in the day-to-day nuts and bolts of evaluating and recruiting talent.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #260
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
-Really Bruce Allen is like Rich McKay, the Falcons President.

*slams on brakes*

Not even close in my opinion. Rich McKay built a SB winner in TB, and has built a SB contender in Atlanta. Something that BA cannot put down on his resume.

That said, I do not find fault with BA in the slide of TB after the Super Bowl. I firmly believe that Jon Gruden had the majority say so in personnel during that time, which is exactly why I would NOT want him as a GM/Coach.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #261
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
*slams on brakes*

Not even close in my opinion. Rich McKay built a SB winner in TB, and has built a SB contender in Atlanta. Something that BA cannot put down on his resume.

That said, I do not find fault with BA in the slide of TB after the Super Bowl. I firmly believe that Jon Gruden had the majority say so in personnel during that time, which is exactly why I would NOT want him as a GM/Coach.
The point being made was that Allen and McKay have similar non-traditional job responsibilities. Winning, or lack of it, does not change this point.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #262
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
The point being made was that Allen and McKay have similar non-traditional job responsibilities. Winning, or lack of it, does not change this point.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. Wasn't talking about results. Was talking about job responsibilities

McKay, incidentally, has had little to nothing to do with building the team in Atlanta. It's Demitroff