Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Raheem Morris

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #151
Swarley
The Starter

Re: Raheem Morris

You would also think he would have the fact that they need a TD to win in the back of his mind. Knowing that, he's better off erring on the side of caution and maybe playing a bit deeper no matter what Cruz does. If the route comes back inside then at least he can make a tackle and it's likely not a TD.

Advertisements
Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #152
RGIII

Sean Taylor would've shut that play down no matter where he was lined up.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #153
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Well its not an automatic field goal first of all, and second of all we are acting like we didnt know Williams was old and slow until this play occured. Again - in this particular situation - Eli Manning and the Giants on a potential game winning drive, I think you have to swallow your pride a little bit and accept the fact that no matter what you call with our personnel that they are going to eat you up with 1:30 left. So - again - play it safe. Keep them out of the endzone at all costs, and take your chances on them getting into fieldgoal range - worse case scenario is OT. I understand what we did, I just dont agree with it. I am not usually conservative in thought when I watch the games - trust me. I was loving those 4th down calls - loving them. This last drive by the Giants I wanted conservative and didnt get it. They got burned. My wife for the first time in my life was watching and cheering for the Redskins and yelling GO GO GO when Moss caught that ball. I could not believe it. I stand by my original statement that if we could play that last sequence over agian there is no way Williams is not 25 yards off the line of scrimmage, and we are not going conservative. oh well. I still think we win the division so who cares.
so they should play defense expecting to get beaten?? thats some odd logic. at the end of the day it always comes down to raw ability and talent. right now we dont have that at our safties positions.

the biggest mistake i see our secondary making is not bumping anyone on the line. if you are playing cover 2 with a safety deep, then the db should be on the line jamming the crap out of the wr to throw off the timing of the route. and that in my opinion is a coaching issue, and still don't understand why it hasn't been more talked about.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #154
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

From Keim on the concept of jamming at the line:

Quote:
CB Josh Wilson. Can’t completely blame him for the Cruz touchdown because the safety didn’t do his job. But Wilson was involved in the play. No, he did not jam Cruz on the play. I’ve talked often to Wilson about when he jams and when he doesn’t and there are some players who are tough to do that against. I remember seeing one time where he re-routed Cruz, but he did not attempt to jam him any other time. It’s usually up to the corner to decide when to jam or not – not all are comfortable doing this. Perhaps this is a play he should have gotten his hands on him a little. Anyway, on this play he wanted to shade him inside and get underneath. He did so.
Redskins vs. Giants: Studs and Duds (defense) | WashingtonExaminer.com
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #155
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
so they should play defense expecting to get beaten?? thats some odd logic. at the end of the day it always comes down to raw ability and talent. right now we dont have that at our safties positions.

the biggest mistake i see our secondary making is not bumping anyone on the line. if you are playing cover 2 with a safety deep, then the db should be on the line jamming the crap out of the wr to throw off the timing of the route. and that in my opinion is a coaching issue, and still don't understand why it hasn't been more talked about.
No - you play a defense that at all costs doesnt allow you to give up 7. Prevent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #156
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
No - you play a defense that at all costs doesnt allow you to give up 7. Prevent.

Completely agree. Though, when Haslett does so and Eli eats up the 10 yd ins and comebacks giving up the FG with time running out and the Giants win in OT every fan wants him fired for playing "prevent the win" defense. How does he win in the court of public opinion? He's an above average (B student) defense coordinator but every fan knows more. Now Morris, who many wanted to replace Haslett, is the goat. Ouch.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #157
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:

They had over a minute, 3 time outs, could use the middle of the field, and the whole length. Some offenses you can play prevent and know that they won't get in. Sorry the Giant's with Eli have an amazing 2 minute drill, and prevent simply does not seem to me that it would have worked better. I guarantee a part of it was that our players were looking for a turnover, jumping a short route, and got caught guessing wrong.

It's Wednesday, can we close this thread and turn the page?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #158
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
Completely agree. Though, when Haslett does so and Eli eats up the 10 yd ins and comebacks giving up the FG with time running out and the Giants win in OT every fan wants him fired for playing "prevent the win" defense. How does he win in the court of public opinion? He's an above average (B student) defense coordinator but every fan knows more. Now Morris, who many wanted to replace Haslett, is the goat. Ouch.
There's a middle ground there. One can play regular defense rather than prevent so that it is harder for Eli to get the field goal. But you still make sure that the safeties take a step or two back pre-snap so that it is harder to beat them with, say, a 77 yard winning TD.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #159
Bucket
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
From Keim on the concept of jamming at the line:

Redskins vs. Giants: Studs and Duds (defense) | WashingtonExaminer.com
I would just give up man. I explained to the people on this forum that it's not always Haslett, and what happen on that play and many others.. Now "insiders" and such are starting to post the same thing, and write about what happen. People won't listen.. Some people need someone to hatchet.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #160
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
Lets forget about this one play. One play is not going to define Hasletts career. We can go back and forth for 1000 years on what happened on that play and whether the rite defense was called considering who we were facing and who our personnel is. All that aside do you really consider Haslett an above average DC? Really? Just look at his track record in this league - namely when he took over as DC for the Steelers. They were the number two ranked defense when he took over, and when he was let go in his third year they had gotten worse each year. He made the Steelers D average, but that doesnt mean he is average. I still say he will be out a job next year. Although it seems as if there is always a place for him and Norv somewhere?? Anyway I think I am just going to enjoy the hell out of RG3 / and the over achieving O-line and run game MS has built and look twards a future when a tiny little upgrade to our safety position makes us championship contenders. Because - believe it or not- we are that freakin close.
Edit: i said to Joe Redskin yesterday that a tiny little upgrade prevents the first play for Cincy, the Amendola fiasco, and the Cruz play. That makes us 6-1!!! Maybe it helps against Atlanta and we are 7-0. Are we a perfect team with that upgrade, maybe record wise - and ill take that every trip around the sun.

punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #161
Swarley
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
There's a middle ground there. One can play regular defense rather than prevent so that it is harder for Eli to get the field goal. But you still make sure that the safeties take a step or two back pre-snap so that it is harder to beat them with, say, a 77 yard winning TD.
^ This!!!!!!!!