Re: Where does the fine money go?

Concussion lawsuits from here on out.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
That Guy
Living Legend

unless they're worried about people placing bets on game in progress, i don't think it really matters whether they wait an hour to specify the injury.

i mean, they took him out, he failed the first test, so they sent him to the locker room. he didn't go back in and from what i've heard, was fully coherent in 15 minutes or whatever. the union was okay with how they handled it, and so was the player... so what's the deal?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #18
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Charities. Mostly to retired players funds
That's just what Roger G. wants you to think. It's actually going to his personal vacation fund, why do you think he issues them every week?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Who do you think I was talking about getting the tax write off?...lol Certainly not the player.
Gotcha. Bad reading on my part.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
When you think about it, it really goes into their pockets. They take the money, give it to a charity, and then turn around and use that as a tax write off which in turn gives them money back.

edit: ..and by their pockets, I mean the owners. Apparently it's not clear.
NFL fines Player X, $ 25K. Player X's has his game check deducted by $ 25K, after taxes. The $25K is then dispersed from Player X's team to the NFL and NFLPA in a 50/50 split.

The team would be deducting the $ 25K as either a salary, without the fine, or as a payment to a charity as a fine. Either way the team takes the same deduction with or without the fine.

The NFL and NFLPA take the fine money and donate it directly to their respective charities. They would need to account for the money coming in, then show it going back out to charity....and yes they would take the charitable deduction. However, the team, the NFL or NFLPA see any financial benefit or tax benefit from NFL player fines.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
NFL fines Player X, $ 25K. Player X's has his game check deducted by $ 25K, after taxes. The $25K is then dispersed from Player X's team to the NFL and NFLPA in a 50/50 split.

The team would be deducting the $ 25K as either a salary, without the fine, or as a payment to a charity as a fine. Either way the team takes the same deduction with or without the fine.

The NFL and NFLPA take the fine money and donate it directly to their respective charities. They would need to account for the money coming in, then show it going back out to charity....and yes they would take the charitable deduction. However, the team, the NFL or NFLPA see any financial benefit or tax benefit from NFL player fines.

NFL will get the money, the money they net in the end is redistributed via revenue sharing. Like I said, the owners get the money. I was simplifying the process here, didn't mean to break out the accountants.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
NFL will get the money, the money they net in the end is redistributed via revenue sharing. Like I said, the owners get the money. I was simplifying the process here, didn't mean to break out the accountants.
And you question other folks' reading comprehension :frusty:

The NFL does NOT get the fine money. No fine money is redistributed to teams. The charitable tax deduction only covers the amounts paid by the NFL as charitable deductions.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
And you question other folks' reading comprehension :frusty:

The NFL does NOT get the fine money. No fine money is redistributed to teams. The charitable tax deduction only covers the amounts paid by the NFL as charitable deductions.
Jesus christ Sammy. I didn't say the fine money was redistributed to teams. Teams/NFL take the money, give it to charity, and use the tax write off to save money. Money being saved is money the NFL earns via tax savings. Collective money saved (or earned) by NFL will most likely be distributed to the teams due to revenue sharing. I didn't say they took the fines and redistributed them to the teams.

Just drop it..lol It's not that big of a deal anyways and I really dont' care enough to argue of this.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 10-20-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #24
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Jesus christ Sammy. I didn't say the fine money was redistributed to teams. Teams/NFL take the money, give it to charity, and use the tax write off to save money. Money being saved is money the NFL earns via tax savings. Collective money saved (or earned) by NFL will most likely be distributed to the teams due to revenue sharing. I didn't say they took the fines and redistributed them to the teams.

Just drop it..lol It's not that big of a deal anyways and I really dont' care enough to argue of this.
So the fine money goes to taxes???

Just kidding!!!!!!! I wish it would go to make sure Shannon sharpe never goes near a microphone again.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
So the fine money goes to taxes???

Just kidding!!!!!!! I wish it would go to make sure Shannon sharpe never goes near a microphone again.

I must admit, I cracked up laughing.

Sharpe over Deon? I want to punch the TV every time Deon talks