Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #196
mbedner3420
The Starter

Re: Shanahan Tells Banks He Better Learn to Play WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Name former skins who have played a significant role in the success of their following teams not named Antonio Pierce
Ryan Clark, champ bailey just off the top of my head.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #197
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Ryan Clark, champ bailey just off the top of my head.
Brad Johnson, Carlos Rogers, Brandon Lloyd, Trent Greene, Stephen Davis.......

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #198
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Name former skins who have played a significant role in the success of their following teams not named Antonio Pierce
Antonio Pierce- Won Super Bowl XLII with the Giants

Andre Carter- went to Super Bowl XLVI with the Patriots

Desmond Howard- Won Super Bowl XXXI with the Packers

Carlos Rogers- Went to NFC Championship as a 49er a year after left the Redskins

Devin Thomas- Won Super Bowl XLVI with the Giants

Mark Schlereth- Won Supers Bowls XXXII and XXXIII with the Broncos

Stephen Davis- went to Super Bowl XXXVIII with the Panthers

Shaun Suisam- now on a winning Pittsburgh Steelers team

Ladell Betts- reached playoffs with Saints a year after he left the Redskins

Mark Brunell- Won Super Bowl XLIV with Saints

Ryan Clark- Won Super Bowl XLV with Pittsburgh Steelers

Todd Collins- reached NFC Championship game with the Chicago Bears

Terry Crews- former Redskins defensive end now a successful movie actor

Rich Gannon - guided Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII

Brad Johnson- won Super Bowl XXXVII with Buccaneers

Pierson Prioleau- won Super Bowl XLIV with the Saints
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #199
MTK
\m/

One could undoubtedly come up with a list like that for every team in the league.

What does being a successful movie actor have to do with this discussion??
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #200
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Over the years with the Redskins team regardless who the coach was or what era it was, since the end of the first Joe Gibbs era, players have been drafted or either signed by the Redskins front office and lasted a few years and then they are waived only to be picked up by other teams. Before you know it, those players end up with Super Bowl rings or at least Super Bowl appearances. Essentially what I'm suggesting is it's happened so often that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Brandon Banks is cut and then is picked up by one of the other 31 NFL teams and flourishes into one of the best return men in the NFL.

Case in point the most recent Redskin to benefit from no longer being a Redskin was Devin Thomas, who everybody in Redskins Nation don't think is that good. If Mike Shanahan wasn't that much of a micro managing head coach and overlooked what Thomas was doing, he might have still been on the Redskins roster and never earned a Super Bowl ring with the NYG. The fact of the matter is being released and picked up by other teams and then moving on to do better elsewhere has happened with former Redskins players more than it should have.
Im confused as to what your solution is? Keep all bad players so we make sure they dont go to a successful team as a back up and get a ring? Shouldnt the goal be to get rid of the bad players so the skins can eventually be a good team?

If Brandon Banks goes to another team and succeeds, it will be because he got onto a much better special teams unit. Not because he suddenly became a great returner. He has speed, but thats it. Brandon Banks may be the only guy in the NFL that gets tackled by a blown kiss from the sidelines. He doesnt make many cutbacks, he doesnt make many miss, he just hits open holes with speed (granted it is world class speed). And if those holes arent open, he turns into Randle-el and runs for 50 yards sideline to sideline and loses 5 yards on the return. I would rather he just used his brain and fair caught a lot of those.

If our special teams can not open up large holes, Brandon Banks becomes useless to the skins. I would much rather the skins go after useful players rather than keeping useless ones based on the assumption that he will win a ring elsewhere. As if we are somehow personally responsible for keeping terrible players with the ultimate purpose of keeping them from winning in the NFL (which seems what you are suggesting with Devon Thomas. Keep him and stay a horrible team, but at least he wont ever win... Vinny... is that you?).
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #201
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Ladell Betts and Todd Collins?
ROTFL....they really had an impact on their new team.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #202
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
snip good list.
Nice list. I'd qualify it with who really contributed. (Bolded what I think are the skins actual mistakes with hindsight, on your list). You and other knowledgeable posters please correct me where I screw up on this:

Antonio Pierce- Won Super Bowl XLII with the Giants - Yeah, letting him go for what few thousand more to the Gnats was dumb.

Andre Carter- went to Super Bowl XLVI with the Patriots - He didn't play in the SB due to injury (might've made a huge difference). Great guy and great 4-3 DE. Had a PB-like run with us year before, and with Pats last year, but he just didn't fit in the 3-4 we run (Can't cover). I guess whether this was a mistake depends on how our conversion to the 3-4 works out.

Desmond Howard- Won Super Bowl XXXI with the Packers - No. He bounced around a couple teams before one year with Packers. Still a situational player (whopping 13 receptions at WR that year and was only a Packer one year). Had a great SB, but wasn't a major contributor other than that.

Carlos Rogers- Went to NFC Championship as a 49er a year after left the Redskins - Maybe. He finally listened to people telling him to get contacts and had a great contract year. Verdict's out as to whether Skins could have handled this better, IMO.

Devin Thomas- Won Super Bowl XLVI with the Giants - Lol, no. Giants have plenty of cheap shot artists to try giving people concussions in kick coverages.

Mark Schlereth- Won Supers Bowls XXXII and XXXIII with the Broncos - Yeah, we shouldn't have let him go, even though he was a walking injury model.

Stephen Davis- went to Super Bowl XXXVIII with the Panthers - Yeah we let him go because Spurrier's fun-n-gun was going to fix everything. (groan)

Shaun Suisam- now on a winning Pittsburgh Steelers team - Yeah, and blame Danny Smith for this one. Guess between us, Dallass, and Pitt, only Pitt has good coaches in this area.

Ladell Betts- reached playoffs with Saints a year after he left the Redskins - lol, no. Anybody could ride the pine, and I'm not sure Betts was even really active then.

Mark Brunell- Won Super Bowl XLIV with Saints - No. See Betts.

Ryan Clark- Won Super Bowl XLV with Pittsburgh Steelers - Yeah, case of us wanting superstars at every position. Dumb.

Todd Collins- reached NFC Championship game with the Chicago Bears - No. I'm a Collins fan for what he did in '07, but he was godawful with the Bears. Shanny was bringing in McNabb, and our vet that knew the OC's playbook was Grossman not Collins.

Terry Crews- former Redskins defensive end now a successful movie actor - ???

Rich Gannon - guided Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII - Yeah, I don't think he was the problem when we let him go. His mobility was a big plus while here also.

Brad Johnson- won Super Bowl XXXVII with Buccaneers - Yeah. Danny Snyder screwed us in so many ways in 2000. Ironic that Johnson and Gannon played against each other in SBXXXVII.

Pierson Prioleau- won Super Bowl XLIV with the Saints - Not sure. He wasn't bad, but wasn't he "just" a good rotational player with us and Saints? Not sure if we or Saints needed him, with the other players both teams had. I think people like Ryan Clark or Antonio Pierce are a cut above.

(Added)Champ Bailey - Went on to continue being an elite CB. - Not sure the Skins could have handled the situation better, anyways. And Clinton Portis contributed far more than Bailey and Tatum Bell would have, IMO.

Last edited by HailGreen28; 07-15-2012 at 03:22 PM.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #203
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Terry Crews? Really, that must be a joke.

Seriously flawed list and doesn't change that more don't than do
Old 07-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #204
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

i think he had a tackle for us in 1995
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #205
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

I beg to differ. While all of the names on that aren't/weren't big names, some of them were. Gannon, B. Johnson, Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark, Carlos Rogers, and Schlereth were all very good players who the Redskins should have kept or re-signed.

Brandon Banks may get released. Or maybe not. All I'm saying is we shouldn't be at all surprised if he's cut, is picked up by another team, and flourishes with that team.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #206
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Whatever makes you happy man
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #207
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I beg to differ. While all of the names on that aren't/weren't big names, some of them were. Gannon, B. Johnson, Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark, Carlos Rogers, and Schlereth were all very good players who the Redskins should have kept or re-signed.

Brandon Banks may get released. Or maybe not. All I'm saying is we shouldn't be at all surprised if he's cut, is picked up by another team, and flourishes with that team.
These are the only legit guys you need to mention. Carlos and Brad Johnson I believe are the only true difference makers. Gannon shouldnt be mentioned, but replaced with Stephen Davis.

Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark and Schlereth had the benefit for playing on very good teams. I dont think of any of three as immensely talented guys, decent starters, not difference makers.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #208
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
These are the only legit guys you need to mention. Carlos and Brad Johnson I believe are the only true difference makers. Gannon shouldnt be mentioned, but replaced with Stephen Davis.

Antonio Pierce, Ryan Clark and Schlereth had the benefit for playing on very good teams. I dont think of any of three as immensely talented guys, decent starters, not difference makers.
He made a helluva difference to the Raiders, he should have played in two Super Bowls, but the Tuck Rule :vomit: knocked him out of one of them.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote