Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Return of the Running Game?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Expect a More Balanced Offense in 2012?
Yes 80 72.73%
No 30 27.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #61
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
We're not talking about some generalized or ambiguous "change".
We're talking specifically about whether or not the offense will/should become more balanced in the playcalling philosophy.
If Kyle's philosophy/playcalling were to become more balanced he would need to run the ball more.

So to answer your question directly: Certainly, having Griff as opposed to Rex/Beck would make change my offensive game plan.
But, having a dynamic QB, one of the best QB prospect in recent memory as opposed to Rex/Beck (near league worst QBs) wouldn't make me pass less.
It would make me maintain my pass first focus if not increase my pass first tendencies.

I have a direct question for you: Would having a QB who is capable of making dynamics plays in the passing game and running the ball cause you to pass less?
They positive thing about Griffin is that he can be used in more than one way. He can pass the ball. He can also run for long gains as we know. I've even seen highlights of him catching the ball in Baylor's offense. Passing less depends on how much yardage you are gaining on offense with the running game or if the run is consistently effective.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #62
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Passing less depends on how much yardage you are gaining on offense with the running game or if the run is consistently effective.
Well of course playcalling on a play by play basis is dependent upon a multitude of in game contingencies that lead to a decision.

But, offensive philosophy guides those in game decisions.
E.g. a run oriented team will have a healthy number of run plays on their playcall sheet for 3rd and short (less then 3 yards) vs. a pass oreinted team that might only have pass plays only on their 3rd and short playcall sheet.

Those types of philosophical playcalling differences are what guides the in game decisions and determine the style of offense and the playcaller tendencies.

So I ask again, hoping the courtesy of answering the direct question you asked me earlier will be returned....
Quote:
...Would having a QB who is capable of making dynamics plays in the passing game and running the ball cause you to pass less?

Last edited by 30gut; 06-23-2012 at 10:33 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 AM   #63
SkinItup
Special Teams

Quote:
Well of course playcalling on a play by play basis is dependent upon a multitude of in game contingencies that lead to a decision.

E.g. a run oriented team will have a healthy number of run plays on their playcall sheet for 3rd and short (less then 3 yards) vs. a pass oreinted team that might only have pass plays only on their 3rd and short playcall sheet.

Those types of philosophical playcalling differences are what guides the in game decisions and determine the style of offense and the playcaller tendencies.

So I ask again, hoping the courtesy of answering the direct question you asked me earlier will be returned....
If that is the only factor when considering a run oriented team, which it isn't, then no way in hell will we be run oriented. With RG3 its a pass play with giving him an option to run 80% of the time on 3rd and short. At least when there is more than a yard to be gained.
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #64
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:

The answer to your question is: it depends on how the offense is moving the ball. If the defense can't stop the run then more and more run plays will be called by the coaches. Then of course the more this happens the less a offensive coordinator will select to pass the ball.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #65
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
The answer to your question is: it depends on how the offense is moving the ball. If the defense can't stop the run then more and more run plays will be called by the coaches. Then of course the more this happens the less a offensive coordinator will select to pass the ball.
Actually, that is not an answer to my question.
And as I've already stated of course there are in game contigencies that effect the in game play to play calls.
But, that is not what I'm talking about in this thread and I think you are well aware of that.

I'm asking about playcalling philosophy or tendency.
And those are not determined solely by in game contingencies.
Teams that have an identity execute their philosophy, passing teams pass and running teams run.
A passing team isn't gonna end up with a balanced pass/run ratio at the end of the season because its not their identity, regardless of the contingencies.

E.g. You can look at the Packers who almost always play with a lead and therefore have ample opportunity to run the ball because of that lead, yet are still unbalanced towards the pass with a 60/40 pass/run ratio.

Or look at the Jaguars who trail often yet still maintain a balanced pass/run ratio at 50/50.

So I ask again, and I'll rephrase for clarity:

If you are creating an offensive gameplan for this season and like Kyle have already established yourself as a pass focused offenisve coordinator (even when you had subpar QBs).

Would adding more talent in the passing game (Griffin+Garcon+Morgan+Nile Paul) cause your offensive gameplans (which are made prior to the actual game) to include more pass plays or less pass plays?

Last edited by 30gut; 06-24-2012 at 10:25 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote