Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

filmed so close

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
12thMan
MVP

Re: filmed so close

I kind of see it as the football being the main actor at all times and the quarterback (or running back) best supporting actor.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

yea i hate deep pass plays where you dont know what to expect since you cant see any of the db's or receivers who are downfield until the ball gets there
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I haven't tried it out on SNF, but it would be nice, someday, to maybe have that added feature to something like NFL Sunday Ticket - different camera angles.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Every angle is filmed and a director technically could go any one at any time (all these angles are what help create the melts that allow analysts to truly break down film), but I know when ESPN (and others) have offered viewers "new angles" the response hasn't been all that positive. I guess people just get comfortable in what they're used to
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I think with any sport on TV they try to make you feel like you're part of the action.

I hate some college basketball arenas that have the super high camera angle.

Super high angels do suck but nothing pisses me off more than when you have a fast break in bball with an inevitable dunk and the network switches to an underneath the hoop type shot at the last second for the dunk. Or when a station thinks a top of the backboard camera angel should be used for anything but replays.

March Madness attracts a lot of people who woulnt care at all if not for the office pool, parties, or bragging rights kind of stuff. Kind of like how tons of people watch their first nfl game of the seaon when they go to a superbowl party. In an attempt to make a game seem more exciting to “whos winning the match” type fans networks have started to use flashy and regularly changing camera angles. It all has to do with ratings.

I also believe this is also the primary reason why we are seeing all these rule changes that protect and benefit the offense in the nfl. Casual fans don’t want to see a first half marked by outstanding defensive play. Not everyone is keenly aware of great coverage that sets up a 2nd or 3rd and long or even a big stop on 3rd down, but everyone knows what a TD means (even if your girlfriend still has a hard time saying 6 points instead of 7).

Its all about trying to get more and more casual fans to watch and maybe even turn them into real fans. Unfortunately this means crappy tv angels that are filmed too close and waiting to make sure a flag wasn’t thrown before celebrating a big defensive play. At the end of the day devoted fans may not like this stuff but most of us will live with it. But if a casual fan isn’t kept happy, he’ll just change the channel.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #21
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Every angle is filmed and a director technically could go any one at any time (all these angles are what help create the melts that allow analysts to truly break down film), but I know when ESPN (and others) have offered viewers "new angles" the response hasn't been all that positive. I guess people just get comfortable in what they're used to

Sounds pretty cool, ill be checking it out and SNF this season. If im watching a football game i dont really want to be messing around with controls though, so maybe its kind of a hassel too. Its easy to watch tv and be slightly annoyed then be hasseled.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
That Guy
Living Legend

its easy. you click full screen, you no-likey, just hit esc (to go back to a browser view) and click on the picture of the camera you rather see instead. switching takes like 1-2 seconds and includes the produced TV feed too.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
Being at the games is an EYE OPENING experience.... like how many wide.open receivers.john Beck didn't are.against the NINERS... how piss effing poor he actually is comes thru alot better in person.. smh that's a win if rex.is.in IMO. REFER to the.sig.
I said the same thing about Jason C. after watching him play the Giants live. Even my wife was asking why he was not throwing the ball to all the wide open WR's. It was not just a play here ant there it was the entire game about every play.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

A LONG time ago NFL football was presented in black and white format with a MUCH wider scope from a higher vantage point - - often at the 50 yardline in the first row or so of the upper deck.

People did not have hi-def TV and/or big screens and it was difficult to follow the ball and so when innovations like moving the camera down to the 20 yardline when a team reached the red zone or end-zone close-up shots came in most fans were thrilled.

And then - - as SmootSmack pointed out - - people grew to expect that is what they would see on their screens. So, that is what the networks give the viewers...

And everyone lived happily ever after.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #25
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
Take Your Eye Off the Ball - Playbook Edition | Pat Kirwan

I am not one to plug things on the forum, but this is Pat Kerwin's book. He is a radio show host on Sirius NFL Radio. His show is called moving the chains, and him and Tim Ryan do an excellent job of breaking down the game. I have not read it fully, but I can tell you this book would answer most of your questions as to why this happened and this didn't. It will also allow you to watch the game from an educated view. Check it out it is really good stuff.

If you are able to get Sirius over there I would and listen to thier show, I believe it would start at approx 9pm your time (it starts at 3 pm EST here in the States).
Thanks, I think I'd be able to find it streaming on the internet.

It would be great if the NFL game pass would allow to choose your camera angle! The NFL gamepass is a great product but being able to choose your angle would be a real betterment!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #26
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Thanks, I think I'd be able to find it streaming on the internet.

It would be great if the NFL game pass would allow to choose your camera angle! The NFL gamepass is a great product but being able to choose your angle would be a real betterment!
You can definitely listen to their show on the Internet. You may have to get a subscription to listen to it. It does not cost much, they have an app for your smart phone, and you can listen to every NFL game live along with all of the other Sirius radio content.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #27
imaskin4life
Special Teams

I like current view but it is limited in the sense that we never really know who is open down field. Are our WRs getting separation from receivers/are our DBs covering their receivers. Is our QB holding on to the ball too long or is everyone actually covered? Its hard to tell when you cant see down field.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #28
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
You can definitely listen to their show on the Internet. You may have to get a subscription to listen to it. It does not cost much, they have an app for your smart phone, and you can listen to every NFL game live along with all of the other Sirius radio content.
I'm already paying (much) for the NFL gamepass so I can watch every game both on my computer or my smartphone, so I'll try to find a way around, but shhhhh.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Super high angels do suck but nothing pisses me off more than when you have a fast break in bball with an inevitable dunk and the network switches to an underneath the hoop type shot at the last second for the dunk. Or when a station thinks a top of the backboard camera angel should be used for anything but replays.

March Madness attracts a lot of people who woulnt care at all if not for the office pool, parties, or bragging rights kind of stuff. Kind of like how tons of people watch their first nfl game of the seaon when they go to a superbowl party. In an attempt to make a game seem more exciting to “whos winning the match” type fans networks have started to use flashy and regularly changing camera angles. It all has to do with ratings.

I also believe this is also the primary reason why we are seeing all these rule changes that protect and benefit the offense in the nfl. Casual fans don’t want to see a first half marked by outstanding defensive play. Not everyone is keenly aware of great coverage that sets up a 2nd or 3rd and long or even a big stop on 3rd down, but everyone knows what a TD means (even if your girlfriend still has a hard time saying 6 points instead of 7).

Its all about trying to get more and more casual fans to watch and maybe even turn them into real fans. Unfortunately this means crappy tv angels that are filmed too close and waiting to make sure a flag wasn’t thrown before celebrating a big defensive play. At the end of the day devoted fans may not like this stuff but most of us will live with it. But if a casual fan isn’t kept happy, he’ll just change the channel.
I have the same feeling, this way of filming sport (football and rugby are filmed the same way) is meant to be exciting, not to give fans a chance to understand what's going on...
But maybe it's counter-productive because, yes a devoted fan will live with a bad camera angle while a casual fan will change the channel, but a devoted fan will buy games tickets, jerseys, hats, maybe dvds, maybe pay for the NFL gamepass if he's not living in the USA, many thing that a casual fan won't buy... until he's fed up with not being considered and he decides the product doesn't fit his expectations anymore.

I did it with pro-wrestling, I was a huge fan of WWE 10 years ago, ready to pay up to 300 dollars to see a house show when then came to France, I quit 4 years ago, it has become a product for families, not for wrestling fans, that's when I started watching Ring Of Honor and stopped watching anything of the WWE...
but the NFL doesn't have any serious contestant so my demonstration ends here, but I think I got my point ˆˆ