A Wedding, a wife, a house oh my!!!

Parking Lot

Old 02-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #46
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: A Wedding, a wife, a house oh my!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I'm not bitter at all. In fact, you skipped over my last post that said I was happy for you that things seem to be working, but it's not a situation that I would advice others to pursue. Yours is based purely on luck. You were obviously wealthy enough to take the chance. That's fine for you. But, the advice I posted, and the advice that Firstdown and Schneed posted is not based on luck.

It was based on fiscal responsibility and something that does work for everybody if they are willing to do what it takes to follow each step. Saving up an emergency fund for six months to live off of is not based on luck. It's based on insurance that if I lose my job, I'm able to keep food on the table, a roof over my head, gas in the car, and clothes on my back for six months. I don't have to rely on any outside source of funding to keep things afloat. That means, I have hired myself to be an active job seeker for a six month contract. I don't have to rely on the hope that I'm going to keep enough tenants in my rental properties to make ends meet, because that money does not exist until it is in my pocket. So, I have to PLAN for the worst. That is really my whole point MRedskins.

I said that buying rental property, unless it is paid in full, is a bad, bad idea, and I stand by that statement regardless of the outcome. Because, until that property is paid in full, you're constantly chasing profit and having to borrow from Peter to pay Paul to keep everything above water. Being financially free does not mean you have to take large risks - that is an excuse and a myth that people use all the time to justify whatever mess they got themselves into. Does it work for some? Sure it does. But for ever one person that makes it work, there is at least three people who went bankrupt trying to do the same thing. It's not the best advice.

Again, there is no bitterness on my part, just a curiosity why someone would advice a person not to purchase a home in this buyer's market, a home in which that person is going to own and live in, and then turn around and justify owning several properties that are not paid for, and saying you're making good money off of it? It's just a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

For the record I purchased all my homes prior to 2005. I am telling Waldskins if it was me now starting out again I would rent build up my finances then buy what I really need when the time is right vs. buying something now just to get into something then 5 years down the road need something else and realize his first investment has not appreciated.
Lets just agree to disagree. I will continue on my merry financial way and you continue on yours.

For the record I have never had to go to a Dave Ramsey or any class of that sort to figure out how to invest my money or spend it. To add I have never gone a day hungry, never had a late payment on any thing and I have a high beacon score. I got be doing something right???

If I am in the poor house I will give you a call. =)

Last edited by mredskins; 02-17-2012 at 12:31 PM.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #47
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Pay no mind to SBXVII. He hijacked my wedding thread a while back.

Enjoy your marriage and best of luck with the housing situation.
OMG that is right LOL! I forgot about that.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #48
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Really the best answer and advice that Dave Ramsey would give to everyone looking to purchase a home. I'm in the same boat right now. I have debt (a bit of credit card debit, student loans, car payment, house payment even though I have found a possible buyer for it,) and have not been able to save for a down payment for trying to pay for a honeymoon and all the trimmings.

We both don't like the idea of renting, especially when renting means spending $800 - $1200 a month. However, we both think it's important to pay off as much debt prior to the purchase of a house as possible. My goal is to at least have the credit card bill and the student loan paid off. I've just purchased my car, so it's going to be awhile before that gets paid off.

We're getting married in October, and I fear I'm going to be completely broke by then...lol!
Dude you are giving me all this crap and your up to your eyes in debit.

I have no revolving debit. My cars are paid off. No student loans, etc.. Other then that I have my mortgages and every day expenses. Let me add day care to that also.

I honestly don't care what your financial situation is but for you to come in here and poop all over me about how to spend and invest money is hilarious.

For the record I am 38 we are pretty close in age.

Last edited by mredskins; 02-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #49
firstdown
Living Legend

This thread has gone down hill

For the record get a house with a detached garage beause its harder for your wife to yell at you when your out in the man cave drink and watching football.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #50
los panda
Pro Bowl

let me congratulate waldskins and back out of this one. best wishes to you and your family.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #51
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Dude you are giving me all this crap and your up to your eyes in debit.

I have no revolving debit. My cars are paid off. No student loans, etc.. Other then that I have my mortgages and every day expenses. Let me add day care to that also.

I honestly don't care what your financial situation is but for you to come in here and poop all over me about how to spend and invest money is hilarious.

For the record I am 38 we are pretty close in age.
Well gee, I thought we were going to agree to disagree.

I said I HAD debt. I didn't say I was up to my eyes in debt. There is a difference. Secondly, I didn't HAVE to go to a Dave Ramsey class, I did so because I wanted to and it's the best thing I have ever done. Anybody can go to his class regardless of financial standing. Also, I would just about bet that what debt I have, mortgage include, is a mere portion of your mortgage on one property.

Your advice to WaldSkins was not to purchase a home in this market because you get nothing on a return of investment and you're better off renting. This is what you said. The home won't appreciate, so you won't make any money off of it. This is the bases of your entire argument against what I said. And I basically said, we need to wait and see what WaldSkins' intentions toward buying a home are before we say he shouldn't. Go back and read what I typed, don't just highlight the things that make you all butt hurt. I outlined a list of things that WaldSkins should do before he buys a home...you disagreed with it, all because you didn't like me saying one should never purchase rental property, unless it's paid in full, that it is a bad idea.

And again, I posted that I was glad it was working for you, and I hope it does continue to work for you. But, you're all defensive because we have stated that it is a huge risk and you could really LOSE A LOT in this if you're not careful. I'm just stating the obvious. It doesn't have to be Dave Ramsey or any other financial guru to tell someone taking out a second or a third mortgage on rental property is not a very good idea unless you absolutely have no choice for some reason. If you had said renting is the best option until you have enough money to afford to purchase a home, we all would agree with you, because that is what we have been saying...but that wasn't the argument.

Anyway, I'm tired of you...I'm going back to talk about quarterbacks in thread number 5 or 6......
Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #52
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Well gee, I thought we were going to agree to disagree.

I said I HAD debt. I didn't say I was up to my eyes in debt. There is a difference. Secondly, I didn't HAVE to go to a Dave Ramsey class, I did so because I wanted to and it's the best thing I have ever done. Anybody can go to his class regardless of financial standing. Also, I would just about bet that what debt I have, mortgage include, is a mere portion of your mortgage on one property.

Your advice to WaldSkins was not to purchase a home in this market because you get nothing on a return of investment and you're better off renting. This is what you said. The home won't appreciate, so you won't make any money off of it. This is the bases of your entire argument against what I said. And I basically said, we need to wait and see what WaldSkins' intentions toward buying a home are before we say he shouldn't. Go back and read what I typed, don't just highlight the things that make you all butt hurt. I outlined a list of things that WaldSkins should do before he buys a home...you disagreed with it, all because you didn't like me saying one should never purchase rental property, unless it's paid in full, that it is a bad idea.

And again, I posted that I was glad it was working for you, and I hope it does continue to work for you. But, you're all defensive because we have stated that it is a huge risk and you could really LOSE A LOT in this if you're not careful. I'm just stating the obvious. It doesn't have to be Dave Ramsey or any other financial guru to tell someone taking out a second or a third mortgage on rental property is not a very good idea unless you absolutely have no choice for some reason. If you had said renting is the best option until you have enough money to afford to purchase a home, we all would agree with you, because that is what we have been saying...but that wasn't the argument.

Anyway, I'm tired of you...I'm going back to talk about quarterbacks in thread number 5 or 6......

Clearly says have in your post. =)

And who is we are you french now? Only you said my rentals are a bad idea.

Just because Dave R came to your church and told you this is how you spend your money is not necessarily the only way you should do it or can do it.

Last edited by mredskins; 02-17-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #53
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I am not the only one that finds Dave R kind of a joke.

Is Dave Ramsey A “Financial Expert”
Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #54
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Clearly says have in your post. =)

And who is we are you french now? Only you said my rentals are a bad idea.

Just because Dave R came to your church and told you this is how you spend your money is not necessarily the only way you should do it or can do it.
No, I wasn't the only one who said rentals are a bad idea. Apparently reading comprehension isn't one of your strong suits.

Secondly, Dave Ramsey didn't come to my church, nor did I take this class at my church.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #55
Schneed10
A Dude

Girls, girls, you're both pretty, can we go home now?

Always buy a house when you can afford it. The price will appreciate over time. Renting is never favorable over the long term. And trying to play the housing market and time it is a fool's errand.

Likewise, don't be so risk-averse. There's risk in missing a quality opportunity, you know.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #56
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
No, I wasn't the only one who said rentals are a bad idea. Apparently reading comprehension isn't one of your strong suits.

Secondly, Dave Ramsey didn't come to my church, nor did I take this class at my church.

All right I am done, I apologize if I upset you.

Last edited by mredskins; 02-17-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #57
MTK
\m/

Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #58
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Girls, girls, you're both pretty, can we go home now?

Always buy a house when you can afford it. The price will appreciate over time. Renting is never favorable over the long term. And trying to play the housing market and time it is a fool's errand.

Likewise, don't be so risk-averse. There's risk in missing a quality opportunity, you know.
LOL! Tell me my butt doesn't look big in these jeans and I'll be happy to go home then.