Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Radical AIDS research funded in Canada

Parking Lot

Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Radical AIDS research funded in Canada

Kind of missed it but I figured in honor of World AID's day I'd post an interesting article.
Radical AIDS research funded in Canada - Health - CBC News

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Re: Radical AIDS research funded in Canada

Very cool. This is another link from about a year ago, involving stem cell transplants which effectively cured AIDS in one patient. It was just one guy and the treatment was ludicrously expensive, but if they tested him today, he would not test positive.

AIDS cure with stem cell transplant found claim German doctors - SlashGear

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Moral issues aside, it really seems like Stem Cell treatment is the way to go with curing these awful diseases.

I will personally say that I am not so sure I am convinced that HIV is really real, or does it really cause Aids, I am not a doctor so I can't know such things. However, i have heard case after case where people either do stem cell treatment or some radical drug treatment, and the patients test negative.

They have been saying for a while now that Magic Johnson was cured of "HIV" a long time ago, but was basically paid to keep his mouth shut and be the pharmaceutical companies' mouthpiece. I am not sure if thats true, but I know this. They have tested Magic lots of times over the past couple years, and they can't find it in his system. Is that from the drugs? Who knows.

I believe in the united states, a cure for "HIV" or Aids will never happen because the government is in bed with the drug companies. There is absolutley no money in a cure, but there is certainly money in "treatment".

I'm not a tinfoil hat guy or a big conspiracy dude but if you think about it, it makes sense. All over the world you hear where people are claiming they have been cured. Everywhere but the US, where "the government" won't allow such treatment methods. Hmmmm
Old 12-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
That Guy
Living Legend

I don't know, knowledge is hard to control. You figure science nature etc would be all over that. so I'd vote against the conspiracy theories.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I don't think its a conspiracy per say. I just think the so called cures they have are very expensive by nature, meaning that the number of people that can buy the cures would be very few. Number 2, the cure usually involves stem cell therapy or something of a controversial nature, that the united states doesn't allow. So i guess it could be called a conspiracy because the USA keeps it from happening due to the stem cell issue, when it could potentially cure aids.

I beleive in AIDS, but i'm not convinced that HIV is really what they say it is because there are so many people who have "HIV" and they live normal life expectancies without other health problems. Also the testing for HIV is extremely flawed. HIV cannot be seen under a microscope, and thus, the only way to determine "HIV" status is based on the prescence of antibodies. A normal human body will show multiple antibodies based on what that person has been exposed to in their lives. Also, there are numerous things that can cause a "false positive", like poppy seeds from a bagel, certain street drugs, and anabolic steroids, among other things
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Moral issues aside, it really seems like Stem Cell treatment is the way to go with curing these awful diseases.

I will personally say that I am not so sure I am convinced that HIV is really real, or does it really cause Aids, I am not a doctor so I can't know such things. However, i have heard case after case where people either do stem cell treatment or some radical drug treatment, and the patients test negative.

They have been saying for a while now that Magic Johnson was cured of "HIV" a long time ago, but was basically paid to keep his mouth shut and be the pharmaceutical companies' mouthpiece. I am not sure if thats true, but I know this. They have tested Magic lots of times over the past couple years, and they can't find it in his system. Is that from the drugs? Who knows.

I believe in the united states, a cure for "HIV" or Aids will never happen because the government is in bed with the drug companies. There is absolutley no money in a cure, but there is certainly money in "treatment".

I'm not a tinfoil hat guy or a big conspiracy dude but if you think about it, it makes sense. All over the world you hear where people are claiming they have been cured. Everywhere but the US, where "the government" won't allow such treatment methods. Hmmmm
I hate to do this but
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I don't think its a conspiracy per say. I just think the so called cures they have are very expensive by nature, meaning that the number of people that can buy the cures would be very few. Number 2, the cure usually involves stem cell therapy or something of a controversial nature, that the united states doesn't allow. So i guess it could be called a conspiracy because the USA keeps it from happening due to the stem cell issue, when it could potentially cure aids.

I beleive in AIDS, but i'm not convinced that HIV is really what they say it is because there are so many people who have "HIV" and they live normal life expectancies without other health problems. Also the testing for HIV is extremely flawed. HIV cannot be seen under a microscope, and thus, the only way to determine "HIV" status is based on the prescence of antibodies. A normal human body will show multiple antibodies based on what that person has been exposed to in their lives. Also, there are numerous things that can cause a "false positive", like poppy seeds from a bagel, certain street drugs, and anabolic steroids, among other things
I'd have to say science disagrees with you and this has all been pretty well established.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

As I understand it they want to create a vaccine that targets a certain protein that is created in all infected HIV/AID cells. Making any mutation of the virus a moot factor.

Quote:
In taking immune cells from an HIV-infected person, Ostrowski’s team discovered a killer cell that could detect these HERV proteins. This is key, because the HERV proteins can't mutate like HIV does. So for the Gates grant, Ostrowski proposed creating a vaccine that would force the immune system to target these HERV proteins and attack those HIV-infected cells, in the hopes of getting rid of the HIV reservoir.
It's such a scary virus to because due to rapid mutation a person could easily end up with multiple stands of HIV. It's not like you get infected once and thats it. An HIV positive person is still able to get other stands of HIV. In fact the more stands of HIV you end up with the less effective Magic Johnson drugs are.

Anyway they know they have ways to detect HIV and kill it. What they're having problems with is finding a way thats safe to the host.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 12-04-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I'd have to say science disagrees with you and this has all been pretty well established.
lol I feel like we stepped into a time machine and went back about 25 years
Old 12-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
firstdown
Living Legend

Sorry not a very nice post because people do die from this.

Last edited by firstdown; 12-05-2011 at 04:15 PM.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The cure is very easy. Don't go banging nasty sluts and don't take it up the a$$.
Just for the record, it's incredibly difficult to contract HIV through regular vaginal intercourse. Incredibly difficult, i.e. estimates range from like less than 10 percent chance to basically impossible without an open sore. From an HIV-perspective taking it up the ass is different, very high contraction risk, and there are additionally plenty of good non-aids-related reasons to not bang nasty sluts. (There are also arguably lots of good reasons to bang nasty sluts, but that's a different thread.) But anyway, people seem to think that if they have unprotected sex with an HIV-positive opposite sex member they are likely to contract HIV, and that's just not the case.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I'm sorry guys. I'm just not that educated in medicine and HIV science. All I know is that i know of two people personally who were told they had HIV, and it ended up being a "false positive". One of them was a guy i used to work with, and the other was my dad's best friend. It seems like the testing is not really a safe bet.

I know my post on this thread didn't sound like it, but I don't truly believe in government conspiracys or something like that, lots of people over the years have told me that the government would try to keep the cure private because of the money they make off the so called treatments.

Again, forgive me.