Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

(Merged) Jason Campbell

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the Jason Campbell pick?
Yes 11 32.35%
No 23 67.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #151
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: (Merged) Jason Campbell

Just chiming in on the Campbell pick. Everybody has said all that really needs to be said (about 3 or 4 times).

I agree w/ JoeCrisp. If we had had the 25th pick in addition to the 9th pick already AND Campbell fell to us - fine. But to trade away next year's first, well, that's just not value.

As for Campbell himself - he could go either way. He clearly has the physical tools and the only question is whether he has the smarts to play QB in the NFL. And by smarts, of course I mean football smarts - Can he learn to recognize defenses and think quick enough to adjust to them in the 10-15 seconds he gets before the snap and the 2 -3 seconds he gets after it? Only time will tell. He has a good history, played for winners, but he had apparantly had pretty good support all around him - Comparable to having several pro-bowlers, both offense and defense, on an NFL team.

Gibbs made a living out of "coaching up" late round QB's. Rypien was a 6th, Humphries a 4th(?), Schroeder a 3rd(?). Seemed to me, w/out making the trade, their were some pretty decent QB's in the 3rd round or later.

After much contemplation - count me as a nay on the pick. But ONLY b/c of the trade to get the pick.

The draft is a crapshoot. A good quality pick at the top of the 1st can generally be counted on to be, at least, a solid starter in the first year or two. After that, it's quantity not quality. Beyond two or three players - everybody's guessing. Better to take multiple shots. This franchise's cavalier attitude towards picks drives me to drink.

With all that said, and while I still like Ramsey and hope he does well, I hope this pans out for the best. Maybe it will, but I just don't see it.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-25-2005, 02:43 PM   #152
BrudLee
Playmaker

Re: Inside Opinion on Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
How about we see this kid on the field before we write him off.

The overreactions on this site are almost comical lately.
No doubt.

The real upside to this year's draft, though, is the probable reduction of overinflated predictions of success. We may just do well if no one on this site calls for 14-2.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #153
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Williams projects to be a Tight-End at best in a few years.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 PM   #154
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Re: Inside Opinion on Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
No doubt.

The real upside to this year's draft, though, is the probable reduction of overinflated predictions of success. We may just do well if no one on this site calls for 14-2.
Thats what I'm thinking. The past 3-4 years I've been yelling Superbowl and we suck. Well I think Playoffs would be a stretch for this season; so maybe that means we'll do good. Who knows
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:18 AM   #155
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003
I don't think we will draft Jason Campbell for a couple reasons. 1) is I don't think Gibbs is too worried about down the road considering all the financial problems we will be in and there is almost no way to avoid. 2) If we draft Campbell we will have 4 quarterbacks on the team and I don't know too much about the cap but we would probably cut burnell and I think there's almost no way we can afford that. 3) Why would we draft a couple days before the draft to get a quarterback that may not even be there at 25?
There may be answers to this but I personally don't think we will draft him. I hope we get mike williams with the first pick and a defensive player with the second, or even one of the cornerbacks with the first pick and heath miller with the second to open up options from the tight end position.
I completely agree... Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury... that would not make sense... Look at chewbacca.
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 AM   #156
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan
Williams projects to be a Tight-End at best in a few years.
yep, the coaches at all the major universities in florida also said the same thing when they were trying to bash him...
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote