Redskins Reestablish Ties

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Redskins Reestablish Ties

I saw Matty posted this article:

Washington Redskins re-establish bonds with former greats - ESPN

As a promoter, one of the most common complaints I have heard for years from the older players is how they just don't feel apart of the Redskins anymore. I was having lunch with one retired player before an autograph session a year or two ago. This player was a big part of Redskins history, but did play for the Eagles for about 2 ish years. He said that if he called the Eagles and wanted to come to a game, they would go all out to take care of him. If he placed the same call to the Redskins, he would have been turned away at the door.

If you read the article, you will see where they mention Bruce showing up to an alumni event the first day of free agency. It was actually the dinner we had (team only) as part of the reunion of the 1972 guys as part of the Children's Miracle Network fundraiser. (note: I will only talk about what has been made public) After the dinner, we went back to the hotel where Bruce gave a talk with how he wanted to get the Redskins back into the family it used to be. That is where he first told these players about this alumni day at training camp.

There was alot of excitement from the group. I know a few of the players talked to me privately over the next few weeks and were hopeful these things would happen. They were also sceptical after having burned so many times in the past.

I have already talked to a couple of the guys who were at the alumni day yesterday, and they are really feeling that they are wanted again.
Leader In Sports is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Re: Redskins Reestablish Ties

wow. way overdue. I thought they might have always had a homecoming every year. Why would you not want to celebrate and bring everybody back for a get together???? Man would i love to be hanging around that event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
14WOODS
Camp Scrub

Better late than never.
14WOODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Another nice thing about this new administration...seriously, VC really ran this franchise into the ground on a number of fronts

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Another nice thing about this new administration...seriously, VC really ran this franchise into the ground on a number of fronts
He did. The entire Allen family are Redskins. Last month, we had a follow up event with a few more of the 72 guys. Bruce came down with his kids. Eventually the kids went off and played cards. I saw it and thought it would be cool to get them one of those decks of cards with the Redskins legends. The kids got the deck of cards, and instead of playing cards, started quizing each other on who the players are. If that ain't a Redskins family, I don't know what is.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

that's awesome, thanks for sharing
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Old soldiers never die, they just become more difficult to recognize. This could be a great beginning to something long overdue. ct looks like he could still play.

the future is now
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
RedskinsfaninBaltimore
Special Teams

That's great to hear. The Redskins need to recognize and respect their former players. I'm so glad to hear this, those old school guys are my idols
RedskinsfaninBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

It's great to have a GM in Allen that understands and appreciates the rich and proud tradition of the franchise. Alumni should be embraced like this. It amazes me that Snyder didn't make this happen a long time ago considering he grew up as a fan.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Leader In Sports
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
It's great to have a GM in Allen that understands and appreciates the rich and proud tradition of the franchise. Alumni should be embraced like this. It amazes me that Snyder didn't make this happen a long time ago considering he grew up as a fan.
I have always wondered about this myself. I don't know what the deal was when he first took over. Maybe he just got bad advice, or who knows what else.

I really hope that Bruce does exactly what he sets out to do. The older players are excited and there is a different "feel" in the air. Much more so than any of the other things Snyder has tried.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Miller101
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yeah, me too. When I first heard that Danny charges former players for tickets THAT ARE IN THE UPPER LEVEL I nearly threw up! Partly because I know that they have seats set aside in section 101, which for those of you that don't know section 101 is where the owner's box is. These seats were only a few rows down from the owner's box, but still................GREAT SEATS! I know this because my former boss' girlfiend did Mrs. Snyder's nails. And Mrs. Snyder hooked her up with free tickets to the game. I didn't believe that my boss got those seats for free from the Danny. Well, I didn't believe it until my boss showed me the tickets and low and behold it was Section 101 and the price listed on the tickets was $0.00. That just pissed me off! How Danny's wife gives out free tickets to someone doing her nails, but the Danny charged ex Redskin players then threw them in the upper level!

But, this Alumni thing sounds like a step in the right direction. Who knows, maybe Dexter Manley will show up to one of these sometime and tell Andre Carter or Orakpo just how much he hates Tony Romo's smile then tell them to do something about it.
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote