Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Sean and Furrey

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #46
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Re: Sean and Furrey

Kind of sad & ironic that the justification of signing Furrey was that we need extra bodies because our OLD WR's are banged up.. Well, guess what -- we needed extra bodies because we cut Marko Mitchell 2 months ago. Furrey is 33yrs and has NO chance of making the team. Both M.Kelly & D.Thomas had better stats than Furrey last year, and Furrey had more than 600yds only once in 2006. Even TO has a higher chance with us.

Quote:
2009 stats
Furrey - 23 rec - 170yds - 0 tds
D.Thomas - 25 rec - 325yds - 3 tds
M.Kelly - 25 rec - 347yds - 0 tds
If you need camp bodies, that's fine. But it's sad we didn't even give Marko until training camp with the flashes he showed. Marko Mitchell is 25 years old, and may eventually be a bust -- BUT at least he is a body for OTA's & training camp, and at least he is YOUNG and has POTENTIAL.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #47
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
This tells me that TO still hasn't lowered his asking price. He's stupid to let money and ego at this point in his career stop him from playing football. I still think TO and Westbrook will be skins by the time the season starts.
I don't see how Westbrook will help us but a agree w/ your prediction on them signing...especially TO.

We're not hearing rave reviews out of Redskins park about Kelly or Thomas. I think unless one of them convinces the Shanahan's he can be a #1 possession WR we get TO.

The media will love this btw.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #48
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summo View Post
I had forgotten and my Cousin (a Cowboy fan) reminded me last night that Furrey had told us that he has always hated the Cowboys. When he was playing for the Lions and playing in Dallas he had told us the week before that if he scored he was going to do something "special", see the results below.

YouTube - A Fallen Star
ahahahahha I had forgotten that was him
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #49
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
I think Allen and Shanny came in here evaluated the talent on film then at the OTAs and decided that the previous FO was just incompetent as they came off as being. Face it Calia, our drafts have sucked balls for a long time. This draft I graded a B, just for McNabb. Take him out of the draft grade and it was a C at the very best. Last decent draft we had was when we got JC and Rogers in the first round, but JC is a goner and Rogers isn't going to be a Skin probably past his next contract. Guy just isn't such a hot commodity anymore.
I don't at all disagree with out draft history, the results of which speak for themselves. My only points are that I would rather be stockpiling where we have little depth and need it (OL) and that Shanahan seems to like putting pressure on everyone to step up or step off, which I think is great. It's amazing how long it takes to recover poor drafting; we'll be living with the ramifications of Cerrato's experiments for years.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #50
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Why do people think that Furrey won't make the 53 man roster? He is a great special teams player, can also play defense, and is a great fourth/fifth WR.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #51
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Why do people think that Furrey won't make the 53 man roster? He is a great special teams player, can also play defense, and is a great fourth/fifth WR.
He very well could. He's definitely going to have the chance to compete.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #52
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Yep, he's like James Thrash but better at receiver. He can do the returns and everything.. even played some DB
Old 06-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #53
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
So, assuming that they are going to keep one of the many better vet receivers ahead of him as the third/fourth receiver, and are going to keep Terrence Austin as a 23 year old who can do the same things you have Furrey doing, is it Thomas or Kelly you want cut to open that roster spot?

I mean, aside from cutting more deserving players (and who knows), which "underachiever" are we cutting to make room for the scrawny, overacheiving, 'teams ace?

Your argument that he might make it on merit is admirable, but then, it causes you to identify and cut bait with someone less deserving.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #54
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

What if we keep 6?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #55
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
What if we keep 6?
Well, whether we keep six or keep five and go Moss/Kelly/Thomas/Furrey/Austin, Furrey doesn't fit anywhere in either case.

It can be argued that he can add value as a receiver, as well as a special teamer, but unless you can back that statement with a way that he can actually play on this team:

• RBs Portis/Johnson/Parker/Westbrook?
  • FB Sellers
  • TEs Cooley/Davis
  • WRs Moss/Thomas/Kelly
That's 9-10 guys ahead of our "4th receiver" in the playing time pecking order, or basically, as many guys as who will catch more than 3 passes on the season.

It seems nonsensical to suggest that a guy can contribute as a WR, and then keep a bunch of guys ahead of him that haven't contributed, but even so, are expected to contribute more in the future than said guy. I maintain that unless you think a guy offers more present (and future) value to the offense than either Thomas or Kelly, he doesn't deserve his roster spot.

But if one thinks he can actually beat out someone for a spot on the real gameday offense, that's a much more substantial debate, IMO. Thinking that Furrey is better than Kelly or Thomas (and will be in the future) makes a statement about Furrey as a player. Saying that he could earn a spot on the team, over other more qualified players, without beating anyone out just seems to miss the point of competition.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #56
GTripp0012
Living Legend

The short version of the above: a 4th receiver, on this team, is useless. Either we find a 3rd receiver who outplays one of Moss/Kelly/Thomas, or our fourth receiver is really another special teamer: Banks/Armstrong/Hodge, or someone.