Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Some things to watch at Redskins' practice today

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #16
GusFrerotte

Re: Some things to watch at Redskins' practice today

One of the two young Wrs will pan out, not sure if both will though. WE have had really crappy luck with drafting WRs since Norv. When the best WR we drafted since 1993 has been Michael Westbrook, you know there is a problem. Rod Gardner would be second best. What is really sad is both of those guys have been our best wideouts outside of Moss since Ellard/Sheppard left.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
wolfeskins
The Starter

jackson would be considered a "almost bust" if we would have drafted him. no receiver would of flourished for the skins theses past two seasons. jackson was simply lucky to get drafted by a team that had a well established coaching staff,offensive line and qb.

to say the skins should have drafted jackson over kelly or thomas is just silly.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #18
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
One of the two young Wrs will pan out, not sure if both will though. WE have had really crappy luck with drafting WRs since Norv. When the best WR we drafted since 1993 has been Michael Westbrook, you know there is a problem. Rod Gardner would be second best. What is really sad is both of those guys have been our best wideuts outside of Moss since Ellard/Sheppard left.
Weather or not a receiver is productive or not is usually highly dependent on the QB. Above all teams are always looking for that 1,000+ yard guy that produces no matter who's under center. Right now those guys are very few and far between and include Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, and Calvin Johnson. Randy Moss used to be in that category but now needs a QB that can feed him the ball.

I think as far as Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly are concerned the best we can hope for is the type of turnaround we saw in the Giants last year as Eli came into his own as a passer. Steve Smith (Giants) got 1,200 yards, Mario Manningham got 822 yards, and Hakeem Nicks got 700+ yards.

I think that now with an elite QB at our disposal, not to mention a coach that will actually play them, that it's not to much to expect one of the two second round picks to hit the 1,000 yard mark. However at the same time we do have two tight ends that are frequently going to be on the field together so our receiving situation is a lot different then the G-men but at the same time the turn around in production is something to keep an eye on.

Personally I would love to have one of those two emerge as a Sydney Rice type where a second round pick just explodes after his team acquires a top tier QB.

Of course in the end all this WR talk is moot. Everyone knows that CB is the most important position in football. Geesh, didn't you guys watch the draft. CB is the new QB.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Weather or not a receiver is productive or not is usually highly dependent on the QB. Above all teams are always looking for that 1,000+ yard guy that produces no matter who's under center. Right now those guys are very few and far between and include Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, and Calvin Johnson. Randy Moss used to be in that category but now needs a QB that can feed him the ball.

I think as far as Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly are concerned the best we can hope for is the type of turnaround we saw in the Giants last year as Eli came into his own as a passer. Steve Smith (Giants) got 1,200 yards, Mario Manningham got 822 yards, and Hakeem Nicks got 700+ yards.

I think that now with an elite QB at our disposal, not to mention a coach that will actually play them, that it's not to much to expect one of the two second round picks to hit the 1,000 yard mark. However at the same time we do have two tight ends that are frequently going to be on the field together so our receiving situation is a lot different then the G-men but at the same time the turn around in production is something to keep an eye on.

Personally I would love to have one of those two emerge as a Sydney Rice type where a second round pick just explodes after his team acquires a top tier QB.
I love this post. If Kelly and Thomas stay healthy this year they have no excuses. I am skeptical of both of them, but an elite QB could make things very interesting.

Top end QB's make most CB's shit themselves. They back off just enough. They have to.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

And remember Keenan McCardell worked with those Giants WRs last summer and they all praised him for really helping them make their turnaround last season
Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
People would have been screaming to high heaven had we drafted DeSean Jackson what with Moss and Randle El on the team.

We'll be just fine with DT and MK (and Fred Davis). Just wait and see
Definitely. I remember talks of him and some others coming up before the draft and people were freaking out about the idea of a guy that couldn't at least see eye to nose with Anthony Mix.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #22
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
Thomas is just a tad shorter and lighter.....
In fact he was offering a date to the first girl to guess his correct weight which is "bigger than sources say."

Twitter / Devin Thomas : SHOUT OUT TO @Fabuleuse_HG ...
Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #23
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Here's a wrap-up by John Keim on it

Redskins OTA notes, observations | Washington Examiner

Quote:
1. It's sometimes hard to tell how good Trent Williams is doing because he's always on the other side of the field from where we can watch. However, it's rare to see him getting beat (yes, OTAs, June; no pads, long way to go, etc). That's not to say that it won't happen, it will. But he's looked good enough so far to make you think he's a good pick. Obviously training camp will reveal a more complete picture. However, I'll also say he does a good job of recovering when he gets beat. His footwork and his long arms enable him to escape bad situations. What I'm most curious to see is when guys start setting him up, starting inside and then going wide. That gave him some trouble in college.

2. But I do wonder about how hard Williams will work in the weight room. Certainly you've read these comments from the Oklahoma strength coach. Today, Williams was asked if he wanted to prove people wrong when it came to perceptions about his work ethic. Williams responded mostly to what his former strength coach had to say and capped his comments by saying, "You always have people who have their opinions. Obviously what he was saying didn't match up to what I produced on the field and that's why I went where I went."

Many people questioned his work ethic. It would have been better to hear that, yes, he wants to prove people wrong who held those concerns. But time will tell what direction he takes.

3. The Redskins did make an offer to running back Brian Westbrook and still await his answer. They also don't seem to have much interest in safety O.J. Atogwe. Coach Mike Shanahan gave a rather tepid response when asked if they did, telling the reporter who asked, "Even if I did I wouldn't share it with you....If the price is right and someone is available we'll always look at it. But we have depth at certain positions." Safety is one of those spots.

4. LaRon Landry, Josh Bidwell, Rocky McIntosh and DeAngelo Hall all missed Wednesday's workout. Oh, yeah, so did Albert Haynesworth. Shanahan would not say which players were excused. But he did hammer home the offseason attendance once more (it's around 94 percent), "Guys that have not worked at their careers haven't lasted very long. Guys that are great players and consistent Pro Bowl players usually have a great offseason program." Not that he had anyone in mind.

5. The defense is definitely ahead of the offense. Saw a number of interceptions today. Saw Lendy Holmes, Chris Wilson and Alvin Bowen pick off passes -- Andre Carter dropped one -- and a number of others bat them down. Rex Grossman was the most victimized. He did not look sharp. Holmes dropped another possible pick (from Grossman).

6. Carter and Phillip Daniels both worked a lot in the practice. Daniels worked with the starters; Carter was the No. 2 left ouside linebacker behind Lorenzo Alexander.

7. The Redskins worked on more deep passes today, especially the 25-yard outs. Donovan McNabb was on target with that throw today, squeezing a couple passes into tight spots. The best one? He stood strong in the pocket and then zipped a pass that landed just over the head of Kareem Moore to Joey Galloway, who was just in front of Reed Doughty. Another time he hit Anthony Armstrong on a deep out, just over top of Byron Westbrook.

8. Colt Brennan did not have much luck on his outs.

9. Others have pointed this out, too, but it bears repeating: the Redskins are definitely practicing at a faster tempo than in recent years. There's definitely more urgency running plays and getting through drills and that stuff matters. How much? Don't know. But it's a nice change. I have to believe some of that stems from having a coach they trust will make them better.

10. Brandon Banks, Bobby Wade and Phillip Buchanon all fielded punts today (well, more like they fielded balls shot out of a machine since Bidwell was not here). I love Banks' shiftiness, but I just don't see how he can contribute from scrimmage. I root for guys his size, but he's a long way from being NFL ready at that spot. He'll have to make a major impact on the return unit to earn a spot.

11. Shanahan said again today that he'd like Clinton Portis to weigh around 215 pounds, which is 15 less than he's weighed here in recent years. He was around 205 pounds when he played for him in Denver.

12. Artis Hicks is a good addition at least for the media. Very insightful stuff from him. Talked to him today about the different blocking schemes and I'll blog more on that later, but he seems like a smart guy.

13. Rookie Perry Riley worked with the first defense at times, with McIntosh gone. Chris Draft and H.B. Blades worked with the No. 3 defense. Alvin Bowen and Robert Henson are working with the 2's.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Now are these mandatory OTAs? Can't find that info anywhere.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #25
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Now are these mandatory OTAs? Can't find that info anywhere.
Nope, the next mandatory event is the minicamp in mid June
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Nope, the next mandatory event is the minicamp in mid June
Gotcha. Looking forward to those.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #27
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I love me some blind faith, I hope the team is not in any situation where they have to rely on plan B.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote