Life gives you one "do over"

Parking Lot

Old 04-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #46
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Life gives you one "do over"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
In a similar vein-high school baseball. What turns out to be the last game of my career. I'm the starting pitcher, we're playing our rivals at their new stadium under the lights. I'm tossing a no-hitter but it's 0-0 at the bottom of the final inning. Walk, error, error, hits batsmen (I hit his damn shoe!). Winning run walks home we lose 1-0, our playoff hopes dashed...I'd like that final pitch back
dang man a no no going into the 9th, thats brutal. concentration. its easy to lose concentration when your doing the same thing youve done a zillion times. ive taken a billion shots on goal and concentrated on where i wanted to put the puck.

i really blame our coaches. they were horrible. with young guys they should have pulled us aside and calmed us down and gave us pointers and thoughts like . . . put the puck on net. dont skate in too fast, etc...

funny how sports moments and thier details stay with you. i can replay that shot and a ton of other sports moments like i have it saved on video or something.

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
dang man a no no going into the 9th, thats brutal. concentration. its easy to lose concentration when your doing the same thing youve done a zillion times. ive taken a billion shots on goal and concentrated on where i wanted to put the puck.

i really blame our coaches. they were horrible. with young guys they should have pulled us aside and calmed us down and gave us pointers and thoughts like . . . put the puck on net. dont skate in too fast, etc...

funny how sports moments and thier details stay with you. i can replay that shot and a ton of other sports moments like i have it saved on video or something.
Technically, the games were only 7 innings in High School. So no no going into the 7th.

I rarely got the start. I was usually the closer. But because our starters had pitched their max innings for the week, I got the start.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #48
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Mike Shanahan want to write in for this thread.

He said post the McNabb trade.

I ked!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #49
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Mine is easy - Four years ago, I bought a house at auction and tried to rehab it myself by being my on Gen. Contractor. I was a bit cocky b/c I had just bought a new house and turned my then current house into a rental and had come out golden.

Unfortunately, I really didn't have my ducks in a row ended up taking way to long to repair it and sold it at a huge loss just as the market dumped. Lost 10 years of savings/equity and am still in the hole over it.

Did I learn anything from it? Yes. Was it a lesson worth close to the 100K I lost? Nope.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #50
MTK
\m/

Ugh... I too learned the hard way about trying to be your own GC.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #51
right21arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
What if you had the chance to go back and change one event or do one thing differently in your life? Instead of taking a left you can now take a right. What would you do and why... and how would your life be different now?

I'd go back and make sure dan snyder didn't get ahold of our team
right21arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #52
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by right21arm View Post
I'd go back and make sure dan snyder didn't get ahold of our team
Effing priceless...welcome to the board sir
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #53
The Goat
Pro Bowl

This is a great thread. Sometimes our decisions/experiences don't always sound or seem like much at first glance but I think we all understand how they can be life changing, for better or worse.

The one thing I'd like to redo is switching baseball teams in high school. The local club was turned over to a couple lousy coaches who didn't like my step-father and didn't want me on the team. Even though I kicked ass at tryouts they cut me. I put away my pride at first and went to the HC a few days l8r asking if I could basically redshirt for a year. He was pretty young and I could tell he knew I should be on the roster, but he still said no at first. I had an in w/ the head coach of a rival club, but according to some rule the local HC had to release me. When I asked for the release to switch clubs he changed his mind and offered me a spot on the team. He even came to my school to tell me my uniform was already ordered. By then my pride had taken over so I switched anyway. I didn't realize until years l8r it was really the main assistant, an old attorney in town who really hated my step-father, causing all the trouble. The HC was a pretty good guy probably.

Anyway I grew up playing ball w/ most of my good friends. Switching clubs meant I spent most of the next year away from those guys, and then instead of playing ball the following season I lived in Europe for the summer w/ a foreign exchange student. Never really reconnected with the guys I grew up with, and I missed playing ball.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #54
WaldSkins
Playmaker

If I could do it over again I wouldn't have gone to college and would have traveled more.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #55
jamf
Pro Bowl

There's was this one girl in college that I let get away....
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote