Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

My Master Plan

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #16
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: My Master Plan

Geh - don't move Arrington to strong - let him play weakside. I don't want to move Washington or Arrington. They're in their perfect positions.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #17
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

yea I agree, Arrington will be ever better at weakside. He didnt get much of a chance last year to play it. But I do agree we need to get someone else to play in the middle
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #18
jrocx69
Special Teams

wow, i stand corrected, the times just reported marshall is the new middle man? wow, talk about undersized for a mlb
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #19
That Guy
Living Legend

williams would be too good to pass up if he's available... I really rather resign smoot or get rolle, simply for injury insurance if nothing else. Wilds looked good FOR ONE GAME, so i consider him promising, but untested... i think GW wants 4 good corners at all times though, 3 for nickel and a 4th for injuries... we had a problem where we didn't have enough CBs last year for a couple plays, so ade jimoh went in and got burnt... i rather not see that happen again. btw, bowen sucks in coverage, but ryan clark wasn't that bad once he got a couple games under his belt.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #20
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
Heres my plan for the rest of free agency and the draft. A lot of people are saying we need to worry about our offense becuase they needed the most help. I saw we beef up our defense even more. Defense wins championships and we are a few peopel away from having a dominating defense.

First, we sign Kendrel Bell or Ed Hartwell. Think about that... Lavar Arrington, Marcus Washington, and either of those two. I mean damn... name a better set of linebackers in the league?!?!?

Next, we address our need at corner. Theres plenty of threads about this so all I am going to say is you either resign Smoot, or sign Rolle. Either way that gives us two great corners, plus Harris used to be a starter for the Colts and proved to be one of the better nickel backs in the league.

Next, we gotta get more pressure with our dline, but I dont see us really making many changes here. I think Daniells will get another shot and Griffin just keeps getting better. Our dline stops the run amazingly, but lacks in the pass rush department. By stopping the run we force them to pass though, which is bring me to my next point.

We draft Antrel Rolle and play him at safety. If we sign Rolle (samari) we have two aging corner backs. They are great now but will both be over 30 in a few years. Rolle had his proday today, he ran 4.5 in the 40. Just imagine how sick our secondary would be with Rolle and Taylor...We could do sooo many cool things. Rolle looked a lot like Springs last year. No one would throw to his side of the field, he flat out shut it down. I say he looked like Springs becuase to compensate for teams not looking his way, he would blitz a lot, and would shut down the run. So with him and Taylor we coudl blitz both our corners and not miss a beat in coverage.

Our lack of pass rush from our front four means we get creative with blitzing other people. Whose going to throw on Springs, Rolle, Rolle, Taylor.... with Arrington, Washington and Hartwell or Bell blitzing....

We would have a defense that would be remembered for years.

With all that being said, I dont see us drafting Rolle and moving him to safety. When I started writing this I forgot about Bowen since he was injured all year. Rolle would be a huge upgrade. None of the other people that we have to play strong safety are good in coverage. Bowen can hit but Id rather have two play makers back there.

I think this is an amazing idea for us. We arent makign any changes at QB or RB. Our oline is great now. Cooley is a solid prospect. We might add a guy like Pollard thats a great blocker with good redzone hands. The only issue people are having is our wrs. Coles is staying or getting traded for another number one guy. Patten is now our number two. The coaches love Thrash and Jacobs shows a lot of promise. I would bet money that we do not draft a receiver. We just have to many guys at that position that need to get a chance. If we draft a guy then we might as well cut Jacobs. Jacobs was projected to be a first round draft choice but we are always so deep at wr he hasnt been able to play, plus he was injured as a rookie.

Anyhow guys, sound off, say I only want Rolle because hes a cane if you want. But my gut says we draft defense and make our defense go from great, to elite.
I don't agree with this master plan at all. The skins lost Pierce over money, so now they should pay significantly more money to Bell? And we already tried the "best set of LB's" in the league scenario a few years ago and it got us to 6-10.

Next we are signing Samari Rolle for the same or probably more money if we lose Smoot? And then we are drafting a CB from the U and moving him to safety, which would mean that about 50% of the salary cap might be taken up by CB's after we spend 15 mil on Samari ROlle and then draft another Rolle to play safety or nickle back. Add in Sean Taylor and Springs and this might be the most expensive secondary in the history of the NFL.

The plan also leaves us with a WR trio of Coles or Moss AS #1, along with Patten #2 & Jacobs/Thrash #3. How many games are we winning with this reincarnation of the smurfs? After spending the 1st round pick on another CB we don't have the pick to draft the big WR that we need opposite Coles/Moss.

Sorry, I just don't like the plan.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #21
backrow
The Starter

Daseal's Master Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Besides your horrible bias and your draft pick - I agree with most of it. It's looking more and more like we can get either Edwards or Williams in the draft. Coles, Moss, Jacobs, Thrash - all fairly little quick guys. I would like to see a bigger receiver added to the mix. I can't see us going any other way. Wynn is staying, Daniels need a chance, Griffen played great Noble/Salava'e filled the other slot. I don't see us drafting defense in the first round. If we blow our 1st on something that's not a receiver I bet it's either a trade down for more picks and/or a first next year +picks next year, or we go after a TE.

I agree Daseal! I know I was estatic when we gave up the R. Williams spot to draft Champ, and a couple of years later, dropped down to get PRamsey! In looking at some of the potential draftees, it is is hard simply evaluating on size and wt. without all of the input from the Combine. No one can step up and clearly say if this is a shallow or deep draft! But I always like a trade down situation.

Later picks this year, and another 1st with more picks next year is a great idea!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #22
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Most definitely. Someone said that Marshall can put on some weight before the season. I think we are building some characater guys and I like the fact he is being rewarded with his excellent play with a starting spot. I mean who WOULDN'T get motivated after something like that happening.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #23
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

I like the idea of promoting from within, but that doesn't completely allay my fear that Marshall will have a difficult time switching to MLB and adequately replacing Pierce.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #24
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrocx69
wow, i stand corrected, the times just reported marshall is the new middle man? wow, talk about undersized for a mlb
Dat nguyen is undersized. And people compare him to a running back type of linebacker. He weaves in and out, avoiding blockers. It can work, because it has before. The key at that position is instinct and intelligence mostly anyway.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #25
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
Dat nguyen is undersized. And people compare him to a running back type of linebacker. He weaves in and out, avoiding blockers. It can work, because it has before. The key at that position is instinct and intelligence mostly anyway.
Good point Monk.......hey from one Monk fan to another..........
Old 03-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #26
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES
I just dont see us drafting a wr. I really almost think that we arent going to resign smoot, and we arent going to pay big money for rolle, and we are going to draft a corner. If you dont like Rolle because of my bias then fine,b ut this years draft is very deep at corner and we would save a ton of money by drafting one instead of signing smoot or rolle. That or we draft an end. Getting a wr just doesnt make sense for us in my opinion with us signing patten.
NFL network seems to believe along with others that Rolle is going to end up in KC. I agree that we should draft a CB I said it before the whole Coles thing started. Bur to be honest I would like to see Smoot resign regardless.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:06 PM   #27
terps and skins
Camp Scrub

IF williams and edwards were not availiable at #9 and we had signed a cornerback in FA...then i would trade up a couple of spots and get Shawn Merriman i heard that he weighed in at the combine being 272 pounds something like that, definetely big enough to play DE..which we need. he should have a good 40 time also...does anyone know if he already ran what he had?
terps and skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #28
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by terps and skins
IF williams and edwards were not availiable at #9 and we had signed a cornerback in FA...then i would trade up a couple of spots and get Shawn Merriman i heard that he weighed in at the combine being 272 pounds something like that, definetely big enough to play DE..which we need. he should have a good 40 time also...does anyone know if he already ran what he had?
He does not work out until his Pro Date on March 16th. He did not work out at the combine.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote