Pierce offically gone

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #31
That Guy
Living Legend

Re: Pierce offically gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank64
Here's a thought: why not keep Washington and LeMar Marshall at OLB and move Arrington inside? Arrington's at his best in space, and he sure has the size and speed to play the position.
I don't really like that, arrington free lances a bit too much as it is, last thing he needs is to be responsible for positioning 10 other guys as well as playing his own assignment. He's a freak athlete, but not the top choice for QB'ing the D, since he sometimes has trouble keeping himself in the right spot.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #32
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank64
Here's a thought: why not keep Washington and LeMar Marshall at OLB and move Arrington inside? Arrington's at his best in space, and he sure has the size and speed to play the position.
Playing inside affords him LESS space than playing outside. You've provided the main reason why NOT to move him inside.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #33
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

MLB doesn't HAVE to QB the D. It can be anyone. Safeties do it a lot, unfortunately I'm not sure we have anyone at safety capable of doing that. Maybe Taylor, I don't know.

Definitely don't move Arrington inside. Let him be a threat to rush the passer from the outside and use his ability. If we HAD to move one of them in I think Washington would be a better fit. I really want to keep those guys on the outside.

We need to keep Clemons for 3rd downs to take LaVars spot at LB when he goes to DE. We should look at playing Marshall in the middle.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #34
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I'm very dissapointed by this. I think we will be able to surive fairly well without him, but man I really liked Perice. Rumor has it that he gave us the chance to match the offer, so that was very stand-up in my opinion, keeping his world. I'll deifintley be cheering for this guy in the future; and I'll miss him here.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #35
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Well, as much as I hoped Pierce would have stayed and although there is a SLIM chance of him staying, I don't think we're in trouble over that one. I am wondering about Fred Smoot...anything official yet?

I think we need to center our concentration toward Wide Receiver.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:47 PM   #36
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Well the only real concentration it seems we can have NOW is getting one from the draft.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #37
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if someone else already stated this. Yes it sucks that Pierce is gone, but let's not act like we just lost Mike Singletary.

He was very good last year.. for the first time in his short career.. on a 6-10 team.. that caused very few turnovers.. that had a great defense statistically but didn't turn games around like elite defenses do..

All the gloom and doom is a bit much on the board as well as the local media.. Pierce had a great year, but as Ryan Clark, Garnell Wilds, Lemar Marshall, Chris Clemmons, Joe Saleva'a, ANTONIO PIERCE all showed, the defense we run is predicated on the scheme and players being where they were supposed to be.. Pierce made a ton of tackles, but he wasn't a game changer.. It would be nice to have him back for continuity sake, but it's not the end of the world he left..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #38
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
MLB doesn't HAVE to QB the D. It can be anyone. Safeties do it a lot, unfortunately I'm not sure we have anyone at safety capable of doing that. Maybe Taylor, I don't know.

Definitely don't move Arrington inside. Let him be a threat to rush the passer from the outside and use his ability. If we HAD to move one of them in I think Washington would be a better fit. I really want to keep those guys on the outside.

We need to keep Clemons for 3rd downs to take LaVars spot at LB when he goes to DE. We should look at playing Marshall in the middle.

You never know with Clemon's? he's 6'3" compared to Pierce's 6'1" he is a little light at 234lbs compared to Pierce at 240, but Clemon's has much more speed than Pierce and should be a little bigger this year as well, he came out as a junior so he 's still young, remember we got rid of Trotter because he couldn't cover, speed is more essential at MLB in William's defense than power, case and point Pierce wasen't considered a MLB before the start of the season last year but it was made to work, I think the biggest question about Clemon's is does he have the smart's to play inside I would say right now no, but that can change if William's work's with him at MLB. The other player I hear William's likes is Barnes, at 6'2" and 247 he is very fast he was a WR his sophmore year at missouri, he didn't move to LB until his junior year, [I read somewhere but can't find it] that William's really likes this kid. If none of these guy's pan out I am sure we will have no prob. finding a MLB as good or better than Pierce in the draft, plus we do still have Barrow who I believe will be ready to go this season to hold down the fort until 1 of the youngster's are ready to step up. I would not be panicking right now about the MLB position WE WILL BE FINE!
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #39
offiss

Daseal I also like your idea of putting Lavar at D-end and then putting Clemon's outside of Lavar on Passing down's that's a big time pass alignment it's exactly how they should be used I don't think that combo can be stopped.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #40
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by x44x

In the 2006 draft we will have the 32nd pick so it might be hard to pick him up.
Very true
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #41
That Guy
Living Legend

i think i heard barrow got cut on 980am
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote