Parking Lot

Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Wireless N+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
PS3 has a built in N card.
That's why I ultimately chose an N router when I was looking. Cpayne is probably right about N not being a big upgrade from G (after all he's a smart dude), but the extra $ was worth it to me to never have to wonder if my PS3 experience could be better.

Rationalizing the irrational in the name of getting a new toy. It what we guys do.

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #17
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That's why I ultimately chose an N router when I was looking. Cpayne is probably right about N not being a big upgrade from G (after all he's a smart dude), but the extra $ was worth it to me to never have to wonder if my PS3 experience could be better.

Rationalizing the irrational in the name of getting a new toy. It what we guys do.

So true my PS3 kicks major butt now! LOL! Actually it seems to be performing the same. I may even upgrade my Xbox G card to a N card but why it runs perfect now.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Here is the one my sister has, as well as the one we use here at work for our wireless network: Cisco Linksys - Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router with 4-Port Switch - WRT160N

This router end up being a fail for me. It always dropped the signal it was horrible. Well I am back to my G router in search of something else.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Could be a dud. Sorry you had issues. Sounds like it worked great at first.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
cpayne5
Playmaker

It may be an interference issue.

From an earlier post, I said...
"Also note that 802.11n uses 2 channels (40MHz in total, for those keeping score at home), so if you live in a congested area, you may run into noise problems with neighboring 802.11b/g/n devices."

802.11 has 12 channels in the US. Of those 12, only 3 are non-overlapping at 20MHz channel widths (b/g). So, theoretically, if you see 4 SSIDs, there is interference on at least one channel (and with devices coming from the factory set to channel 6, they all may be using the same channel!). N uses 40MHz channel widths, so you do the math on how much noise there may be on the 2.4GHz spectrum if all your neighbors are using N too.

You can change the channel on which your device operates. Do a site survey, ie look at all the SSIDs visible from your device, and note their signal strength and channel number. Set your device to use an empty channel, or a channel with the lowest signal if a device is already operating on that channel.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Could be a dud. Sorry you had issues. Sounds like it worked great at first.

Yeah it was. Funny thing is a lot of reviews said the same thing great entail performance then it crapped out.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post

"Also note that 802.11n uses 2 channels (40MHz in total, for those keeping score at home), so if you live in a congested area, you may run into noise problems with neighboring 802.11b/g/n devices."

802.11 has 12 channels in the US. Of those 12, only 3 are non-overlapping at 20MHz channel widths (b/g). So, theoretically, if you see 4 SSIDs, there is interference on at least one channel (and with devices coming from the factory set to channel 6, they all may be using the same channel!). N uses 40MHz channel widths, so you do the math on how much noise there may be on the 2.4GHz spectrum if all your neighbors are using N too.

You can change the channel on which your device operates. Do a site survey, ie look at all the SSIDs visible from your device, and note their signal strength and channel number. Set your device to use an empty channel, or a channel with the lowest signal if a device is already operating on that channel.

you may be right but is now back in the return pile at Best Buy. I am getting FIOS at the end of summer I will re-visited the issue after the install.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
saden1
MVP

The wireless router market is a crapshoot...pick a router and hope for the best.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #24
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post

I had initially wrote about interference, but pulled back as I've gotten a bad router from Linksys before.

I recently switched security on my G router from WEP to WPA in order to get my work Win7 Laptop to connect (Never had any hacking issues with WEP, so I never changed it; and for some reason, Win7 did not like WEP), and it was dropping the signal on all computers, having to reboot my router every 12-18 hours. Changed the channel, and boom, no more issues or reboots.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The wireless router market is a crapshoot...pick a router and hope for the best.
Pretty much. They're all cheapo knockoffs from their commercial grade stuff.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #26
FRPLG
MVP

I changed my channel out of the box for the various reasons above. Still running G and haven't had a problem with the router yet. I stream Netflix to a Roku over it with no problem...through two floors from the corner of a sub-terrain basement. I'm afraid to switch to N since my G has been so rock solid .
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote