Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

UNC vs Duke

Other Sports

Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

UNC vs Duke

Time for redemption for Duke after that loss to UMD. Duke really needs to stop letting UNC win at home.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: UNC vs Duke

Off to a great start but Duke can get themselves into a lull after going up big.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

ass whipping

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Ruhskins
Living Legend

When did this become the Panthers forum?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
When did this become the Panthers forum?
The Panthers haven't been around long enough to justify this statement. NC is still ripe with Skins fans.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #6
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
The Panthers haven't been around long enough to justify this statement. NC is still ripe with Skins fans.
Well you don't live in NC nor have any associations with Duke, correct?
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
wolfeskins
The Starter

was anyone really expecting unc to win this game? i mean, come on, lets get real, duke is ranked 4th in the nation and unc is having one of their worst seasons ever.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well you don't live in NC nor have any associations with Duke, correct?
That's like saying people who are UMD fans but went to Towson can't be UMD fans anymore. A good friend of mine from Ohio went to Dennison but is a huge Ohio State fan. I've liked them since I can remember, 3 or 4 years old due to family. My kid bro's first word was Duke. For most of my upbringing I could get to Duke (a lil over an hour) before I could get to VT (1h 40 mins) or so. It's such a tired argument though, oh you can't like them cuz of blah blah blah. If people are so insecure about their stuff, fine, good for them, I'm not. It's not like I picked up Duke because of their success nor did I do it anytime recently, it's who I grew up liking because of my dad. Why people care who I like is somewhat ridiculous, bandwagon fans.. sure, fuck them.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
That's like saying people who are UMD fans but went to Towson can't be UMD fans anymore. A good friend of mine from Ohio went to Dennison but is a huge Ohio State fan. I've liked them since I can remember, 3 or 4 years old due to family. My kid bro's first word was Duke. For most of my upbringing I could get to Duke (a lil over an hour) before I could get to VT (1h 40 mins) or so. It's such a tired argument though, oh you can't like them cuz of blah blah blah. If people are so insecure about their stuff, fine, good for them, I'm not. It's not like I picked up Duke because of their success nor did I do it anytime recently, it's who I grew up liking because of my dad. Why people care who I like is somewhat ridiculous, bandwagon fans.. sure, fuck them.
Well your first two examples were not good ones, since it is not unusual for people who go to schools with no big time sports programs to follow their state schools (i.e. Ohio State, UNC, etc., etc.).

And well as a Duke fan, get used to people always questioning why you are a fan without any type of association to the school. I'm sure Notre Dame fans get the same in football.
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Yeah, I'm used to it. To tell you the truth I follow VT (this is where most of my maternal family that's attended college went to) as well, but if it's Duke vs VT, I'll still pick Duke. I didn't get the appreciation for VT until later on, most people wouldn't even assume that I follow anything from Duke other than basketball, but they're my fave in college football too. I'm a very loyal person I think and as a youth, very impressionable as well. Had it not been for my stepfather (yeah I know that I said dad, but my mother and biological father split before I was born) I doubt I would have ever followed Duke, there would be no justifiable reason.

As far as examples of sports vs none.. I paid my own way into community college and we didn't have sports. I'll gladly take pride in the university that I graduate from, when/if it ever happens.

As you can probably tell I constantly have to explain why I'm a Duke fan and it just grows tiring. I'm also an Army and Navy fan but don't follow them much, more familial ties.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:

these long explanation of distant connections to people who went to duke coupled with your proximity to duke when you rented an apartment for 6 months in 1997 are the same explanations skins fans in DC get when we ask a cowboys fan if they are from texas.

tryful, you live in MD, you should know this buddy.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #12
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
these long explanation of distant connections to people who went to duke coupled with your proximity to duke when you rented an apartment for 6 months in 1997 are the same explanations skins fans in DC get when we ask a cowboys fan if they are from texas.

tryful, you live in MD, you should know this buddy.
I've lived in MD for 3 months

I "rented an apartment for 6 months" down there for 15 years

yeah my dad is a real distant connection
Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

LOL. Hardest I've laughed in a long time. Nice response
Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

LOL. Too funny.

On a somewhat related note (well not really). I remember pestering a Cowboys fan, whose screen name clearly tied him to the Oakland/SF area, as to why he was a Cowboys fan (if he seemed to follow other Bay area teams). He told me that when he grew up in the area during the 90s, there weren't any good football teams to follow. I said to myself, weren't the 49ers pretty good in the 90s?
R.I.P. #21
Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #15
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

hahahahaha no joke right?

between 83 and 98 the 49ers only once failed to make the playoffs

definitely a lot of bandwagon fans for the Boys from the 90s.. and the 70s who've passed it down.. same with the 70s Steelers, not only do they travel well but they've just got such a huge fanbase from their success

one of my best friends growing up was a Steelers AND Cowboys fan, I was like man your dad picked TWO bandwagon teams to follow?