Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coles back to the Jets?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #31
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Coles back to the Jets?

Okay Malcolm - you just got a new job at Tech or VMI (can't remember) they're paying you well, and everyone there is a fan of your work ethic! You work hard and do great things, then you get demoted to Janitor. They're still paying you great, why not wait another year to see if you like it before you give up, quit, and disappoint everyone.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #32
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I don't think that's quite the same type of analogy. Still though, if I was getting paid the same and ended up working as janitor I'd be the best damn janitor I could be. I'm not a real good person to ask that type of question to because I feel as though when I'm getting paid the right kind of money, I should do whatever job I'm asked to the best of my ability.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #33
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I also don't see it as being demoted to Janitor. I see it more as having your job description changed slightly. I mean that would be like saying Coles is changing from WR to Center. I mean he's being asked to run short routes and catch the ball, that's still being a WR. Does he not want to count on his legs to get him YAC anymore?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #34
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Redskins - as a receiver tell me which offense you want to play in?

I can answer that: The one that wins a Super Bowl.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:49 AM   #35
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

If that's the case then the money shouldn't mean anything to Coles and he should just play for free. He should go ahead and hand back all the money that the Redskins have paid him in bonus money no questions asked.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #36
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Malcolm - a relivant analogy was hard to come up with.

And Redskinrat: Do you feel we're on our way to the Super Bowl next year? I'd love to be wrong here, but I don't.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:59 AM   #37
MTK
\m/

Daseal, so are you behind Coles and his decision to leave??

Kinda hard to figure out why someone would be defending his decision to jump ship.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:11 PM   #38
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Matty - I'd like him around, but I can understand. You can find many threads where I said get surgery or get out. He's made his decesion, and if he's willing to keep the salary cap from owning us. Why not let him go? Especially if we can get something for him.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #39
cpayne5
Playmaker

I say a package deal with Morton/ Coles for Abraham. Not that I don't like Morton, I just think we've found a cheap, adequate replacement for him in Antonio Brown. I have to think that Morton would want out now too, since he's not getting as much offensive playing time as he thought he was when he came here.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #40
Shane
Special Teams

This situation is getting real complicated, that's for sure. It seems like the Redskins are playing brinksmanship with Coles and his agent. Will Coles be willing to sign over the signing bonus as a part of a trade, or will he stay in Washington as kind of a pariah and be miserable, and probably get far fewer passes thrown his way as we develop other receivers for the future?

I think he will make the choice to move on and sign it over. Gibbs and the Redskins are giving him that choice, rather than getting nothing for him. As I think about it, that is the right move because we have invested so much in him. And if he is kept on the roster, he will just face the same problem next offseason.

The players' union will possibly question a move like that - its their job to do so. Signing bonuses are contingent upon playing out a contract in at least some cases, like we have learned with Ricky Williams' situation. Certainly the right move for them is to allow such a trade to take place. It doesn't seem that this would put players' contracts in general at any risk.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #41
offiss

In Coles defense from what I have heard the doctor's have said the possibility exist's that if he has the surgery it could possibly end his carreer, that is probably the big concern for Coles behind not having the surgery, on the other hand Gibb's is saying your not a worthy reciever if your not 100% so take a shot at being the best you can be instead of just getting by, I know Coles had 90 catches but probably half of those catches where WR screen's behind or at the line of scrimmage. If he want's out and is willing to accomadate with the return of most of his signing bonus then I say trade him, we gave up a lot for him we really should do all we can to get compensated for him.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #42
celts32
Playmaker

If he gives back part of his bonus I would do cartwheels to get rid of him. He is a #2 WR being paid like a top #1 WR. Who is he to go in and complain to Joe Gibbs? I don't want anyone on the Redskins that doesn't want to be on the Redskins! I remember him being one of the only players not happy when Gibbs was hired to begin with. I don't even need anything in return, just return the bonus money and be on your way. Good riddins LC...

He's being a fool also, he will never get another big deal with that toe of his. Does he think every team in the league is not going to have doctors poking around that toe before offering him any kind of bonus?

And this Abraham Jets deal is nonsense. The Redskins will never get Abraham for Coles or anything close. The Jets could trade Abraham for a #1 pick and then some right now. Pass rushing DE's in their prime are at a premium in the NFL, and WR's with a bad wheel are not. Coles would bring probably a #3 pick, maybe a #2 if they find a GM that's really really stupid...
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:07 PM   #43
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Coles is a solid #1 reciever, I hope we get abraham for him. finally we won't be overpaying for someone
Old 02-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #44
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krills
It all started with the renaming of Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.
I think it all started when Dan Snyder decided to play GM
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #45
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krills
It all started with the renaming of Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.
Didn't some people put an "official" curse because the team refused to change the nickname....................well the curse is working rather well......
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote