Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Jimmie Johnson Athlete of the Year?

Other Sports

Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
redsk1
The Starter

Jimmie Johnson Athlete of the Year?

Four-time Cup champ Johnson first driver to be AP Athlete of the Year - Sprint Cup, NASCAR - CBSSports.com NASCAR, IRL, F1

I have alot of respect for Nascar drivers but I don't think they should win any athlete of the year awards. There's alot of talent involved and you better be in good physical condition, but let's face it, they drive cars around a track. Not buying the athlete of the year deal.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Jimmie Johnson Athlete of the Year?

Why not? Jimmie Johnson has been as dominating as anyone the past four years. And it's not easy at all to drive a race car. Especially a stock car.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
redsk1
The Starter

Athlete of the Year to me, implies a level of personal achievement vs competition. Of course, JJ has been dominant in racing. I know too, that driving a stock car, for hours and hours in brutal condition aint easy.

You've got to rely on a good team in racing and more importantly the car itself. I can guarantee, that if JJ, drove for a lesser team or engine builder, he wouldn't be as successful. Also, I just don't think drivers should be classified w/ all other athletes. Maybe, it's because I grew up watching the old regime of Nascar like Darrell Waltrip, Dale Sr, Harry Gant, and others. Jimmie Spencer...not much of an athlete, although a heck of a driver.

I don't know..just never really thought of a Nascar driver as an athlete. That's not downgrading their talent. Just an opinion.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

So who's your athlete of the year then?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
WaldSkins
Playmaker

1 vote for Tiger Woods
Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

With any luck Jimmie will hit the wall in Daytona. I vote Danica. She's a hottie.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Athlete of the Year to me, implies a level of personal achievement vs competition. Of course, JJ has been dominant in racing. I know too, that driving a stock car, for hours and hours in brutal condition aint easy.

You've got to rely on a good team in racing and more importantly the car itself. I can guarantee, that if JJ, drove for a lesser team or engine builder, he wouldn't be as successful. Also, I just don't think drivers should be classified w/ all other athletes. Maybe, it's because I grew up watching the old regime of Nascar like Darrell Waltrip, Dale Sr, Harry Gant, and others. Jimmie Spencer...not much of an athlete, although a heck of a driver.

I don't know..just never really thought of a Nascar driver as an athlete. That's not downgrading their talent. Just an opinion.
i agree with ya and i'll even take it a step further. to me, an athlete is someone who participates in a sport. i do not consider nascar a sport.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

NASCAR is a competition, not a sport. Sort of like how coaches are not athletes, at least not recently or better yet jockeys. Rule of thumb states that if the equipment does the majority of the physical work then you don't have a sport. Doesn't matter how much you sweat and how grueling it is. Sports are competitions that require some form of running, jumping, punching, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So who's your athlete of the year then?
Should have been Messi. 6 championships in one year.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post

~~~
Agreed. Having been around NASCAR when I lived in North Carolina and some of the people involved in it, I came to respect the guys for what they do, but like you, I do not really consider them to be athletes, eventhough it does take a certain level of mental and physical stamina to do what when I think "athlete" race car drivers are the last ones that come to mind.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
NASCAR is a competition, not a sport. Sort of like how coaches are not athletes, at least not recently or better yet jockeys. Rule of thumb states that if the equipment does the majority of the physical work then you don't have a sport. Doesn't matter how much you sweat and how grueling it is. Sports are competitions that require some form of running, jumping, punching, etc.
~~~~~
So true!

~~~

Should have been Messi. 6 championships in one year.
~~~~
The guy is a stud! Do you ever go to castrolindex.com? It runs all sorts of soccer stats, including how much these guys run a game. The average is between 5-7 miles a game.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
FRPLG
MVP

My problem with JJ as athlete of the year is that car racing is almost the epitome of team sport. To me basketball is less of a team sport than car racing. JJ is a great driver...is he better than a dozen other guys? Nah. He's just got fantastic team.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Personally I don't think driving a car qualifies you as an athlete, and I don't consider golfers athletes either.

Guess it depends on your definition of "athlete".
Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmurfs22 View Post
~~~~
The guy is a stud! Do you ever go to castrolindex.com? It runs all sorts of soccer stats, including how much these guys run a game. The average is between 5-7 miles a game.
Exactly. I mean look at this video at around 0:08. The guy gets quadruple teamed and runs around everyone until he gets fouled.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 AM   #14
Stephenie
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
1 vote for Tiger Woods
haha that makes sence
Stephenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
budw38
Playmaker

UFC 101: Anderson Silva cuts down Forrest Griffin in one round - ESPN . Maybe Anderson Silva , dominating athlete/fighter . Not sure about Race car drivers , but ... driving a car at 150-185 mph < including corners > around other aggressive hot shots , you have to have nerves of steel and some big Kahuna's . Tebow might get some consideration ?
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote