Article on Kevin Colbert -- Steelers Dir. of football operations

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Re: Article on Kevin Colbert -- Steelers Dir. of football operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I agree Landry is a disappointment as a top 10, but then again I don't know who to compare him to. Who could have we picked instead, offense or defense, who is worthy of a pick that high?
Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis, Jon Beason

As for safeties to compare Landry against:Griffin, Merriweather, Weddle

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #17
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
I'm not saying either is trash, and neither is landry but for being drafted in the top ten i don't think he has lived up to that if he truely was a top ten he could catch a pass that hit him in the numbers, he has had three picks since he came here thats about half a pick a year.

same with rocky he isn't terrible but for being our first overall pick in the draft hasn't become a line backer anyone in the nfl fears and he is on the same average pace he has been on since he has been here, i would hardly say probowl.

as far as landry he needs to boast his ego and start playing with the swagger he used to have but seems to have lost after gettin trucked by jacobs at the begining of last year.

it's been the one constant thing i think everyone on there can agree on we have not found a ra-ra guy on d our last one was marcus, before that it was sean and lavar, we need someone in there slapping players helmets andd getting fired up
Yes, Landry doesn't make big plays but it's only due to Blache's scheme.. He put Landry way far back from scrimmage line, how can he make plays if he's so far away from ball? If we expect Landry to make big plays, Blache needs to move him around just like Dick LeBeau moves Polamalu around and G. Williams does with Darren Sharper, as well..

It's not like Rocky was #1 pick, we got him in 2nd round.. I really do think he's getting better and better.. Of course he had some bad games.. This article will explain his stats and all stuff..

washingtonpost.com

As for the swagger, I agree with you completely.. We don't have a player on our team to energize the team..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Yes, Landry doesn't make big plays but it's only due to Blache's scheme.. He put Landry way far back from scrimmage line, how can he make plays if he's so far away from ball? If we expect Landry to make big plays, Blache needs to move him around just like Dick LeBeau moves Polamalu around and G. Williams does with Darren Sharper, as well..

It's not like Rocky was #1 pick, we got him in 2nd round.. I really do think he's getting better and better.. Of course he had some bad games.. This article will explain his stats and all stuff..

washingtonpost.com

As for the swagger, I agree with you completely.. We don't have a player on our team to energize the team..
I agree. The way to energize the team is to make plays and we don't have too much of that happening.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Colbert could probably walk down the street in Pittsburgh and no one would even know who he is. And that's how he likes it. See, Pittsburgh gets it. The Ronney's get it. Behind the scenes they probably laugh at our operation. When Cowher had some tough season what did they do? Stuck by him. When he leaves they find Mike Tomlin, who looks and breathes like the next great head coach. Meanwhile we find Jim Zorn.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #20
skinster
Impact Rookie

as far as I'm concerned, rocky is a top 10 pick. We gave up two seconds and a sixth for him. first rounders are regularly traded for a second and a third. He is not worth his value of what we used on him in the draft....then again we prolly would have just wasted those picks on some useless players.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

The one thing he said that stuck out to me was how he views first round draft busts as inexcusable. Then it got me thinking -- some have mentioned Charlie Casserly as a possibility to come back. But take a look at his first round selections from 1991-96...

Bobby Wilson -- bust
Desmond Howard -- bust (for us anyway)
Tom Carter -- borderline bust, didn't last very long in the league
Heath Shuler -- one of the all time busts
Michael Westbrook -- pretty much a bust, had one real good season
Andre Johnson -- didn't even make the team

Gibbs certainly had a big say in the selection of Wilson and Howard. But that's as bad a string of first round busts that the league has ever seen, and sheds some light as to how bad this team was throughout the 90's. This is why I'm not so high on Casserly.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #22
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Colbert could probably walk down the street in Pittsburgh and no one would even know who he is. And that's how he likes it. See, Pittsburgh gets it. The Ronney's get it. Behind the scenes they probably laugh at our operation. When Cowher had some tough season what did they do? Stuck by him. When he leaves they find Mike Tomlin, who looks and breathes like the next great head coach. Meanwhile we find Jim Zorn.
And what's funny/sad is that the Steelers had two guys in waiting (Whisenhunt and Grimm) to be Cowher's successor. Everyone expected one to be named head coach and instead they went outside the organization and found Tomlin. We went outside and found Zorn
Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #23
celts32
Playmaker

If the Redskins hired Tomlin he probably would have been fired already. Is Tomlin really that great? He walked into the best organization in the league kept the same defense scheme and coordinator that was already in place even though he coached a completely different defense in Minnesotta. And he had a franchise QB coming into his own. We have no idea what kind of coach Tomlin would be if he came to an unstable situation like the Redskins.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #24
TheBigDaddy
Camp Scrub

off topic but nice site for draft history.

drafthistory.com
Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #25
TheBigDaddy
Camp Scrub

And with the exception of all the early WR first picks, the 1st rounders have been solid.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #26
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
If the Redskins hired Tomlin he probably would have been fired already. Is Tomlin really that great? He walked into the best organization in the league kept the same defense scheme and coordinator that was already in place even though he coached a completely different defense in Minnesotta. And he had a franchise QB coming into his own. We have no idea what kind of coach Tomlin would be if he came to an unstable situation like the Redskins.
Good point. I think there is something to be said for not allowing a team to fall into disarray, the way Norv has apparently done in S.D. A new coach could theoretically walk into a sound organization with a good roster and things can fall apart. Tomlin appears to be someone who kept the squad on its toes, challenged them, instilled vigor, and continued a winning tradition.

Never underestimate the abilities of a complete moron to eff up a perfectly good situation.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #27
jgalecpa
Special Teams

Knowing the Daniel, how would probably hire Steve Colbert instead.