Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

What Are You Reading?

Parking Lot

Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: What Are You Reading?

I just read, "The Great Depression Ahead" by Harry Dent, Jr. Very dry stuff, but great info. It goes into great detail about forecasting economic trends in the U.S. and globally. If you aren't into financials, trends, stats, etc. (Schneed will love this if he hasn't already read it) there are summaries at the end of each chapter. I would suggest reading all of Chapters 8 & 9 though.

I definitely recommend for young folks just getting into the workforce and young families thinking about homebuying or relocating.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I just read, "The Great Depression Ahead" by Harry Dent, Jr. Very dry stuff, but great info. It goes into great detail about forecasting economic trends in the U.S. and globally. If you aren't into financials, trends, stats, etc. (Schneed will love this if he hasn't already read it) there are summaries at the end of each chapter. I would suggest reading all of Chapters 8 & 9 though.

I definitely recommend for young folks just getting into the workforce and young families thinking about homebuying or relocating.
Nice. I'm definitely gonna check it out. My closest friend is a CFP, and he recommended it as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Im a firm believer that any good book will be made into a movie but.....

I "read" (book on tape) The Big Short. Ive only read 3 or so books in my life, but this was the best yet (overtakes Where the Red Fern Grows). Its about the financial break down but chronicles the 3 or 4 people/groups that made money off of it.

Basically there are a bunch of people who said they called the real estate blow up and ensuing financial collapse. Then there are the people who actually did. Then there are just a few people who actually put their money where their mouth is. This is their story.

Its not a how to make money book at all, its a wow how did these people do it, and how where people and agency so blind/stupid/ignorant that this was this ever allowed to happen type book. Its absolutely fascinating and is written so well and that you dont have to be interested in finance or anything to enjoy it. Ive heard great things about Michael Lewis, but this guy is a absolutely fantastic writer. Highly recommended.

Amazon.com: The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday... Amazon.com: The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday...
I got the Acent of Money on tape and will "read" that next. I watch the documentry a while back, but ive heard so many good things about the book and how the documentry doesnt do it justic that i was presuaded into "reading" it.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post

I would not recommend this book or any book by Mr. Dent. People aught to know that this is the same guy that predicted the DOW would hit 40,000 by the end of 2008 in his "The Roaring 2000" book and the NASDAQ to hit 20,000 by the end of 2009 as recent as 2006.

No one can predict the market or booms and busts...you can't do it, don't ****ing try. Then again if your goal is to sell book, go for it.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I would not recommend this book or any book by Mr. Dent. People aught to know that this is the same guy that predicted the DOW would hit 40,000 by the end of 2008 in his "The Roaring 2000" book and the NASDAQ to hit 20,000 by the end of 2009 as recent as 2006.

No one can predict the market or booms and busts...you can't do it, don't ****ing try. Then again if your goal is to sell book, go for it.
Yep, Dent made a pretty penny off "The Roaring 2000s". Everyone in the industry was swearing by it at the time, advising clients, changing investment schemes, etc. Turned out to be just another book by another talking head.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
jdlea
Playmaker

I'm reading a biography of Nelson Mandela...at least I'm trying. There haven't been enough hours in the day for me to read recently
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I was just given "Before the Dawn" by Nichols Wade. Fascinating read on development of modern humans (homo sapien as distinct from homo erectus, neaderthal, etc.) from the dawn of time.

Examines what we can tell from the DNA/genetic samples. The main point is that all non-sub-saharan African (modern) humans descended from a group of ~150 such humans who left East Africa approximately 50,000 years ago. At that time, the entire modern human population in Africa was approximately 5,000 people.

Fascinating study and excellently written.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Before the Dawn sounds really interesting. I'm currently reading The Publisher (about Time, Life, Fortune, and Sports Illustrated founder Henry Luce)
Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
GMScud
Swearinger

I just finished a quick read called "The Art of the Handwritten Note: A Guide to Reclaiming Civilized Communication," by Margaret Shepherd. Having just gotten married, my wife and I received so many nice gifts, all of which of course required a thank you note. My mom gave me the book.

It was a nice reminder of how much more meaningful a handwritten letter is when compared to today's e-mail/electronic lifestyle.

I'm about to re-read "God's Debris: A Thought Experiment." By Scott Adams, creator of the Dilbert comic strip. Such a brilliant little book.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
saden1
MVP

I'm listening to the audio book of The Story of Civilization: The Age of Reason Begins by Will Durant.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Mechanix544
The Starter

The Silmarrillion. Great book, although for a fantasy novel, it kind of reads like a history book.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

The Secret Team. It's about how the CIA actually runs the government and cajoles others into doing it's bidding.

"The Secret Team, The CIA and Its Allies in Control of the United States and the World"
Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
BringBackJoeT
Impact Rookie

I've been pretty good about getting through my summer reading list this year. I just finished "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm and "The Creation" by E.O. Wilson. Both great books--Blehm's book about Randy Mortgenson, a veteran Sierra Mountain ranger who disappeared in 1996, was both an exceptional potrayal of a unique personality and, given the mystery surrounding his disappearance, a page-turner to boot. I'm working through "Bottled and Sold" right now on the bottled water industry. Good read--it's basically a primer (weighing in at less than 200 pages) that doesn't read like a textbook.
BringBackJoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Currently reading "Blind Man's Bluff, The true untold story of American Submarine Espionage" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew. I'm 2/3d's through and its pretty interesting and cool to read about what was happening, especially during the time I grew up.

My dad was a sonar tech on subs and he had told me about a lot of these things that he had done. I'm reading it now thinking my dad told me all about these under sea games with the Russians years ago. lol.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Just finished the secret team. I also read:

The Spontaneous Healing of Belief: Shattering the Paradigm of False Limits

Amazon.com: The Spontaneous Healing of Belief:... Amazon.com: The Spontaneous Healing of Belief:...
I've gone through a few others too but I can't recall right now. Oh yeah . . .

No Angel. This about an undercover ATF agent in the Hells Angels

No Angel, Jay Dobyns, Book - Barnes & Noble

Right now I'm finishing up.

Angels Don't Play This HAARP.

ANGELS DON'T PLAY THIS HAARP!

Up next, America Empire Before the Fall.

Amazon.com: American Empire Before the Fall... Amazon.com: American Empire Before the Fall...