An outsider's breakdown of the Redskins offense

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #16
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: An outsider's breakdown of the Redskins offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I don't think it's too depressing on Thomas and Kelly. We knew who they were already. Thomas is a burner who you want to stretch the field or hit on a short slant or crossing route in some space and let him outrun people. Kelly ran about a 4.7 I believe, so he's no speed demon, but has good hands and runs solid routes. No shame for either guy, this just re-inforces who they are. We all knew neither was Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson.

No real surprise on JC or Portis either. JC's release has always been an issue and so has his pocket presense, although I think he's doing a better job of stepping up and finding lanes in the pocket. We all knew Portis was slowing down and becoming a between the tackles guy.

What Zorn needs to do is not try to put square pegs in round holes and make sure he understands the players strengths and weaknesses and plays to their strengths.
That ain't gonna happen.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #17
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
that was a depressing read,especially since the progress of Kelly and Thomas were 2 things we as fans were counting on.The things about JC and Portis I already knew.
I don't think it's surprising that he called Kelly an intermediate possession receiver. That's exactly how they should be using him, with Moss being the deep threat. Doesn't mean he can't win jump balls downfield or in the end zone for us.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Nice info. Thanks for the link Beem. Cosell's a well respected game evaluator. As mentioned before, he watches lots and lots of tape that few people have access to and he's constantly in communication with NFL player, coaches, and execs to get their take and better understand the game.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #19
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
His analysis of Campbell and Portis is accurate.
Absolutely. Especially this comment - "Campbell lacks a refined sense of pocket movement". JC can't seem to detect pressure until it's too late. He hangs in the pocket too long.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #20
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I don't think it's too depressing on Thomas and Kelly. We knew who they were already. Thomas is a burner who you want to stretch the field or hit on a short slant or crossing route in some space and let him outrun people. Kelly ran about a 4.7 I believe, so he's no speed demon, but has good hands and runs solid routes. No shame for either guy, this just re-inforces who they are. We all knew neither was Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson.

No real surprise on JC or Portis either. JC's release has always been an issue and so has his pocket presense, although I think he's doing a better job of stepping up and finding lanes in the pocket. We all knew Portis was slowing down and becoming a between the tackles guy.

What Zorn needs to do is not try to put square pegs in round holes and make sure he understands the players strengths and weaknesses and plays to their strengths.
Can you give an example? I'm really not trying to be a smart ass for once either. The fumble and TD against the Giants? Got his arm hit again on a long pass attempt against the Lions that caused the ball to hang in the air like a punt.

And I just can't recall any plays where he ran OUT of the pocket as it was collapsing, kept the play alive and made a big play. Stafford seemed to do a lot of that on Sunday. Just don't recall seeing much of that from Campbell.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Can you give an example? I'm really not trying to be a smart ass for once either. The fumble and TD against the Giants? Got his arm hit again on a long pass attempt against the Lions that caused the ball to hang in the air like a punt.

And I just can't recall any plays where he ran OUT of the pocket as it was collapsing, kept the play alive and made a big play. Stafford seemed to do a lot of that on Sunday. Just don't recall seeing much of that from Campbell.
Ball security was definitely one of the negatives for JC this week. But as Samuels/Heyer are riding their men upfield, JC is finding the seams in the pocket a bit better to step up or to the side and make throws. He had the big run for 20 yards getting out of the pocket. I believe on both 3rd down plays that Moss and Cooley came up short, JC did his job, stepped up nicely and delivered solid passes.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
huntz
Special Teams

Not thefirst time heard that about CP this season. Poor running game=not many wins. Is this O doomed?
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #23
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Don't worry, we have Mason
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #24
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Overall I have been happy with Campbell's performance. When I watch CP I feel as though I am watching the decline of a career. RB's careers are short lived and I think we are seeing that now.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #25
Boston Brave
Camp Scrub

Bad part is I drafted Portis in my fantasy league, sure would like to have that 2nd rounder back.

Last edited by Boston Brave; 10-04-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: typo
Boston Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #26
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Obviously, people don't effing pay attention to the fact that on the Campbell pick, the defender had already gotten to Campbell two seconds into the play!!! He had no time to look for Randle El, set, and then throw it to him.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #27
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post

That throw to Moss in the first drive in the RZ which pass was inaccurate and thus off the mark first had him dodge the rush first to even have a to make the throw.
Bad accuracy
Good pocket presence.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote