Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Should The Nats Trade Ryan Zimmerman?

Other Sports

Old 07-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
redsk1
The Starter

Re: Should The Nats Trade Ryan Zimmerman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
i dont see how you trade zimmerman for prospects at this point. i wouldnt want to trade a known young talent for some prospect players "with potential".

the nats need a GM, and a damn good one at that, before they start trading their franchise player for prospects or doing anything major at this point. the decision to draft and not sign crow really hurts, i dont care if they get some mid-1st round pick as compensation. then to go out and draft strasburg, knowing up front the signing money he was demanding, and now looks like they wont reach an agreement is a joke.

when weiters was avail in the draft everybody knew he wanted 5 mil signing bonus. he was the top prospect but fell to the Os at no. 5. the Os knew the money he wanted upfront, drafted him then signed him.

the Nats need a GM before they start making GM decisions.

go skins!!
Nothing is guaranteed but I'm talking top prospects for RZ, like an organizations top 1 or 2 prospects. If they can get a couple-few top prospects they've got to listen. I'm no expert and i'm not sure they could get that for RZ but it's worth it to throw his name out there.

This guy Rizzo is supposed to be pretty decent as a scout. He might deserve a shot. Jim Bowden was horrible.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Maybe they could get a competent closer for him.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
They just used the 10th or 11th overall pick on a closer. It'll probably take him a year or two to develope, but I think they'd rather see what he can do first.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #19
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
A team should, in theory, never trade a position player for a closer. Just get good young arms, if one of them shows he can't go long, move him into the bullpen and see if he can close. It's never a good idea to go out and get a young guy with a "closer" label for the sake of getting a closer IMO.

If they traded they would need to take back the best talent they can, regardless of position. 3rd is the position they could be set at and if they trade him they have to explore every possible option. I think Zimmerman could probably 2-3 of an org's top 10 prospects, probably 3, but if I were an opposing GM, there's no way I give up my best prospect for Zimmerman.

To put it better, if I were the O's I wouldn't give up any of Matusz, Arrietta, Tillman. I might give up Patton. And if you want to extend "prospect" to young players (consider Markakis untouchable) I wouldn't give up Jones or Wieters and I would probably balk at Reimold unless someone was coming with Zimmerman.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well the Nats have traded Nick Johnson and Joe Beimel.

I don't know the details. Johnson to the Marlins, Beimel to the Rockies. I believe they got a starting pitcher (AAA) from the Marlins and a couple other minor league prospects from the Rockies
Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
cdskins26
Special Teams

Im a Phillies fan so I shouldnt say anything, but Zimmerman is a really talented young player. It would be one thing if he were 5 or so years older or was looking for more money, it would be one thing. He is the type of player that trading him away for is the goal. If you can get two or three more guys like that in the line up and work on your bullpen, the team is set for a while. You probably wouldnt have gotten anybody better than him for the near future. Look at the phillies, average rotation (pre Lee) good bats, solid bull pen. World Champs.
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #22
kenny
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I understand what you're saying, but it'd be really hard to sell the fans on the idea of trading away a local star like RZ.
Very True!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #23
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

Trade Zimmerman? Never! Trade Dunn? Never! Kasten built up teams really fast by signing free agents. I just hope the Nats got some really good prospects when they traded Nick Johnson. They have a better team than their record shows this year, and getting rid of Jim Bowden really helped a lot.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote