Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Don't get beat Deep

Parking Lot

Old 12-21-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
BossHog

Don't get beat Deep

What pisses me off the most about this year is that my CBs get burned pretty often playing against the CPU. Last year, you could use 'playmaker' on defense after the snap for run support or deep coverage. Backing the DBs off the line off scrimmage pre-snap doesn't seem to help either. Even when the CB is playing a deep zone coverage they seemingly take a few steps towards the WRs as supposed to back pedaling. Hmmm.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
joecrisp
The Starter

It's definitely tough to find the right coverages. I usually play a Cover-1 Man defense with some kind of blitz package, and I usually control the safety that's playing the one-deep zone. I tend to blitz a lot, so I like to put my corners in bump-and-run coverage. I've found that as long as I have a fast safety with good range, I'm able to foil most of the deep attempts. But the key is, if you're going to play bump-and-run, it's imperative that you blitz effectively. Like Gregg Williams, you have to bring pressure from different angles, and you have to avoid blitzing from the same spot too frequently, as the opponent will pick up on the tendency and burn you for it. If you play bump-and-run regularly, and you're not generating constant blitz pressure, a good opponent (CPU or human) will pick you apart, since the receivers will usually break away from the defender after the first 3 seconds.

If I encounter a situation where the blitz-and-bump strategy isn't working, I'll usually start throwing in some zone blitzes, and that will usually provide enough of a wrinkle that the CPU or human opponent will throw an INT. Since they read blitz, they anticipate the defenders being in a particular spot, based on the tendencies they think they've uncovered. Of course, the zone blitz throws that all out of whack-- they hurry a throw to a receiver they expect would be open in a man-blitz situation, but instead, there's a D-lineman or linebacker that's dropped into a zone waiting there to pick off the pass.

It took me a long time to figure out which coverages work in particular situations and which ones don't. You have to know the strengths and weaknesses of your personnel, as well as those of your opponent. Smaller and/or slower personnel are best suited for looser coverages, whereas bigger, faster players can hang with the receivers in tighter, bump-and-run man coverages. Having big, fast corners and safeties obviously gives you a huge advantage if you love to blitz.

Anyway, if I'm using the Redskins, I'll usually run a Cover-1 man blitz, bump-and-run, and use Taylor to neutralize the deep stuff.
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Getting beat deep is my biggest weakness on defense, especially online. I can't tell you how many times I've had a 15 play 75 yard drive for a TD, only to be followed up by my opponent connecting on a 80 yard TD pass within his first couple plays. And this is playing a relatively safe nickel package.

One issue I have is often I'll hit "A" to take control of my blitzing lineman just as the QB lets go of the ball. So instead of controlling my lineman, it takes control of my guy in the secondary and totally takes him out of the play, leaving the receiver wide open for an easy TD. I'm working on it. Did I mention I'm in my thirties?
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

canuck, don't feel bad...i do that all the time...

what makes it worse, that same blitzing lineman usually gets called for roughing the passer if i do make it before the throw...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote