Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

GSP-Penn II

Other Sports

Old 01-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
itvnetop
Playmaker

GSP-Penn II

Who you got?

I like GSP to remove all doubt in this one. Penn's hands and jiu-jitsu are deadly, but I think GSP is on a different level than anyone except the Spider right now.

Last edited by itvnetop; 01-30-2009 at 08:40 PM.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: GSP-Penn II

GSP is my boy, so I have to side with him. And since the local Hard Times Cafe shows UFC without a cover, I might slide over around 11:30 to watch this bout.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
GSP is my boy, so I have to side with him. And since the local Hard Times Cafe shows UFC without a cover, I might slide over around 11:30 to watch this bout.
Wow... no cover? Ya may wanna hit that place up early... anywhere showing the fight for free is gonna probably be packed. This one is the fight of the decade, imo.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
jamf
Pro Bowl

I can't believe how dominate GSP was.

I would love to see a Spider Silva VS GSP matchup.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
dmek25
MVP

didnt see it. was it worth watching? and as good as Penn is, am i the only one that thinks he always looks like he is out of shape?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Wow... no cover? Ya may wanna hit that place up early... anywhere showing the fight for free is gonna probably be packed. This one is the fight of the decade, imo.
A few buddies of mine and I went to the same place for UFC 91 (Couture/Lesnar) and showing up around 11:30p ended up being decent. Got a table on the restaurant side, we didn't watch it on the big screen, but got to see it nonetheless.

However, this past Saturday rolled around and I was out before 10:30p, so needless to say I didn't see it...

UFC 94: Results and full videos

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
FRPLG
MVP

So did GSP cheat? Rubbing Vasoline on his body aint cool. If he did have vasoline on his body I think, despite what everyone who has a stake in this fight wants you to believe, that it DRAMATICALLY changes the fight. GSP won because he was bigger and stronger and was able to take advanatge of that ON THE GROUND. If Penn can't do his thing on the ground because GSP is a freaking eel then that's cheating to me.

That said, I wouldn't take a rematch if I was Penn. To me he still loses either way. He just doesn't get totally dominated.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
So did GSP cheat? Rubbing Vasoline on his body aint cool. If he did have vasoline on his body I think, despite what everyone who has a stake in this fight wants you to believe, that it DRAMATICALLY changes the fight. GSP won because he was bigger and stronger and was able to take advanatge of that ON THE GROUND. If Penn can't do his thing on the ground because GSP is a freaking eel then that's cheating to me.

That said, I wouldn't take a rematch if I was Penn. To me he still loses either way. He just doesn't get totally dominated.
No way dude... it was an ass-whoopin' for four straight rounds. There's a reason Penn didn't complain after his brother threw in the towel. Baby Jay talked so much smack before the fight that GSP wanted to prove a point. He would have punished him for the full fifth round if it went that long.

If you saw how both fighters trained, you can see why GSP did what he did. The dude trains like a machine and he looks like GI Joe. Thiago should be a good challenge, but I'd really want to see him step up to 185 to face the Spider.

But honestly, I think Machida should get a shot at Anderson next... the dude is no joke.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
No way dude... it was an ass-whoopin' for four straight rounds. There's a reason Penn didn't complain after his brother threw in the towel. Baby Jay talked so much smack before the fight that GSP wanted to prove a point. He would have punished him for the full fifth round if it went that long.

If you saw how both fighters trained, you can see why GSP did what he did. The dude trains like a machine and he looks like GI Joe. Thiago should be a good challenge, but I'd really want to see him step up to 185 to face the Spider.

But honestly, I think Machida should get a shot at Anderson next... the dude is no joke.
I agree that GSP wins under any conceivable circumstance...I just don't think he completely obliterates Penn if Penn doesn't have his greatest weapon neutralized by cheating. By the 3rd round it doesn't matter because both guys are a slippery mess but GSP really did his damage and won the fight in round two where Penn went from fresh and calm to exhausted and dead because he couldn't get GSP off of him. Maybe GSP trained harder but Penn's guard is second to none. It's almost in the encyclopedia as a proven fact that Penn's guard is borderline perfect and GSP worked through it like it didn't even exist. If the vasoline lent even a hint of help to that then that is crap. I still think GSP is the better fighter. He was bigger and stronger and preared but if he had any help from illegal lubrication then I call bullsh*t. And I am not a Penn homer really.

And gosh I'd love to see a Silva/GSP fight. I am pooping just thinking about it. They are the two best right now. Machida may be right there too but he's slightly unproven to us compared to Silva and GSP. What does Silva walk at? Close to 200?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I agree that GSP wins under any conceivable circumstance...I just don't think he completely obliterates Penn if Penn doesn't have his greatest weapon neutralized by cheating. By the 3rd round it doesn't matter because both guys are a slippery mess but GSP really did his damage and won the fight in round two where Penn went from fresh and calm to exhausted and dead because he couldn't get GSP off of him. Maybe GSP trained harder but Penn's guard is second to none. It's almost in the encyclopedia as a proven fact that Penn's guard is borderline perfect and GSP worked through it like it didn't even exist. If the vasoline lent even a hint of help to that then that is crap. I still think GSP is the better fighter. He was bigger and stronger and preared but if he had any help from illegal lubrication then I call bullsh*t. And I am not a Penn homer really.

And gosh I'd love to see a Silva/GSP fight. I am pooping just thinking about it. They are the two best right now. Machida may be right there too but he's slightly unproven to us compared to Silva and GSP. What does Silva walk at? Close to 200?
You make good points regarding Penn's guard. I actually don't disagree there... but I think that's a testament to how freakin' good GSP is. He evolves after every fight- three years ago there is no way he passes Penn's full guard that easily. He did it effortlessly throughout Saturday night- no amount of vaseline is going to get side control against BJ's guard by itself. It's crazy because GSP had to work on his ground game- his standup was already killer. His wrestling and jiu-jitsu have taken off- he's just way more of a thinking man's fighter than most. Add to that his physical tools and training and you've got the perfect weapon. Also remember, his coach is second-to-none. I was amazed at the strategy his team employed for this fight... when GSP pushed the fight to the ground, he had a pre-emptive counter for every submission Penn could have attempted from his back. They scouted him extremely well.

The Spider matchup would be ridiculous. I think he does walk around 195 or 200... he went up to 205 just to prove himself at LHW, but he's the best at 185 for sure. I think he'd be at least a 2-1 favorite if GSP had to step up in weight... but I wouldn't bet against the Canadian.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
You make good points regarding Penn's guard. I actually don't disagree there... but I think that's a testament to how freakin' good GSP is. He evolves after every fight- three years ago there is no way he passes Penn's full guard that easily. He did it effortlessly throughout Saturday night- no amount of vaseline is going to get side control against BJ's guard by itself. It's crazy because GSP had to work on his ground game- his standup was already killer. His wrestling and jiu-jitsu have taken off- he's just way more of a thinking man's fighter than most. Add to that his physical tools and training and you've got the perfect weapon. Also remember, his coach is second-to-none. I was amazed at the strategy his team employed for this fight... when GSP pushed the fight to the ground, he had a pre-emptive counter for every submission Penn could have attempted from his back. They scouted him extremely well.

The Spider matchup would be ridiculous. I think he does walk around 195 or 200... he went up to 205 just to prove himself at LHW, but he's the best at 185 for sure. I think he'd be at least a 2-1 favorite if GSP had to step up in weight... but I wouldn't bet against the Canadian.
Yeah weight wise they're close though. GSP was walking at 185 after months of training to go 170. If he trained to 185 he'd could come in 190 and Silva probably comes in 195+ The size diference wouldn't be all that big. GSP really is a HUGE welter and Silva is a typical middle. God they have to make this fight before year's end.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #12
The Goat
Pro Bowl

There's something I really dislike about GSP. Maybe it's the spandex. Maybe that he's french-canadian and has a flip top head. Maybe because he just looks like gomer.