Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Now official and legal - Chad Ocho Cinco

Chad Johnson | NFL Football at CBSSports.com

Quote:
Introducing ... Chad Ocho Cinco: Bengals receiver has legally changed his name to Chad Javon Ocho Cinco in Broward County, Fla., a switch that became official this week, according to several media reports. Johnson, who lives in Miami, didn't return a message left on his cell phone Friday night. "It's something I don't think anyone has ever done before," he told the team's Web site. "Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I'm having fun." Two years ago, Johnson gave himself the moniker - a reference in Spanish to his No. 85 - and put it on the back of his uniform before a game. Quarterback Carson Palmer ripped it off before the kickoff. After the season, coach Marvin Lewis - who dislikes Johnson's attention-getting stunts - referred to the receiver as "Ocho Psycho."
(Updated 08/30/2008).
Quote:
If this winds up being factual, you'll notice his name changed on your rosters and here on CBSSports.com. Frankly, we're more concerned about his torn labrum than what his name is. Johnson, er, Ocho Cinco has refused surgery on a partially torn labrum and will play this season through the injury while wearing a harness. While he'll still be effective, every NFL club will know that Ocho Cinco's shoulder is a problem and try to pop him there whenever he catches a pass. That's not as huge of an issue as his ability to reach high for receptions or block. Ocho Cinco slips in our rankings and is now more of a low-end No. 2/top-end No. 3 Fantasy WR. We see Fantasy owners playing 'hot potato' with him on Draft Day, with someone either landing a steal in Rounds 5 or 6, or someone who will be a major disappointment. At least we can expect Ocho Cinco to play Week 1 at Baltimore.
(Updated 08/30/2008).

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Now official and legal - Chad Ocho Cinco

Chad Johnson coy about name change - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
Chad Johnson coy about name change

Sep 1, 9:38 pm EDT

CINCINNATI (AP)—Receiver Chad Johnson declined to say Monday whether he will try to get the Cincinnati Bengals to put “Ocho Cinco” on the back of his uniform this season.

Johnson had his last name legally changed to “Ocho Cinco”—the moniker he gave himself based on his No. 85—last week in Florida, where he lives. He declined to talk to reporters on Monday about the reason for it.

Asked if he would try to get it on his jersey for the season opener at Baltimore, Johnson said, “It don’t matter what it says. It don’t matter. If it ain’t about the Ravens, I don’t want to talk.”

The Bengals have declined to comment on the name change.

Johnson caught 93 passes for 1,440 yards last season, when his relationship with local fans soured over his attention-getting antics during games. He tried to maneuver the Bengals into trading him in the offseason, but failed. Ankle surgery slowed him at the start of training camp, and he injured his left shoulder during the second preseason game against Detroit.

With all that has gone on in the offseason, Johnson said he needs to have a big season.

“I’ve got to be super-extra focused,” he said. “I have a lot of making up to do to a lot of people—not only my teammates, coaches, you know, from the top all the way down. I (angered) a lot of people all offseason with some of my — most people call them antics.”

Since making the playoffs in 2005, the Bengals have slipped to 8-8 and 7-9 the past two seasons. Johnson made himself a focal point last season with the way he fussed at quarterback Carson Palmer after an interception against New England, a turnover that the receiver eventually acknowledged was his fault for running the wrong route.

“I’m going to fuss again if we lose,” Johnson said. “Nothing has changed. But I’m here, so my motive and my focus have to change. I said what I said. I’ve said my peace, and now I’m here. Now I have to shut up and put up. I’m not going to shut up, but I’m going to put up.”
Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Ocho Cinco is the anti-Monk. He's always calling attention to himself with antics, 90% of which are lame IMO.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
dmek25
MVP

what happens if he gets traded, and wears another number? what a moron
Old 09-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I hope he's traded to the Rams where #85 is retired by Jack Youngblood.

The Bengals should do this on purpose just to cause him the hassle of getting another name change...or the embarrassment of being stuck with a stupid name with the wrong number if a judge denies him another immediate change.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Lighten up guys, he's having some fun and made a brilliant marketing move. What's the problem?

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Old 09-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

It's hilarious. If he gets traded, he can *gasp* change his name again.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Lighten up guys, he's having some fun and made a brilliant marketing move. What's the problem?
It doesn't get me angry; I just don't find most of his publicity stunts that funny or entertaining.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Ok, useless/repeat/"why-on-earth-would-you-post-this" thread. Seriously, do we need Chad Johnson deserves another thread? Can someone lock this?

http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-l...is-last-3.html
R.I.P. #21
Closed Thread