NASCAR: JGR caught cheating

Other Sports

Old 08-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Re: NASCAR: JGR caught cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
So this idea isn't substantiated by anything, let alone a rumor, but lets just say the culprit is Joe Gibbs' son, do you think Gibbs would have a hard time letting him go if that was true?
First of all, I strongly doubt Joe OR JD had any knowledge of this magnet under the gas pedal to begin with at all!

Secondly, do you actually think Joe would fire his son that for all practical purposes runs the racing team and has been for years and will continue to after Joe fully retires....? Hell no he wouldn't, that's family. I think almost everyone here knows how important family is to Joe, that ain't happening in this lifetime!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Doesn't everyone "cheat" in NASCAR? I have always thought the "cheaters" were just the ones who have been caught? It's so institutional that it's almost not cheating to do it.
No, not everyone in NASCAR cheats. That's why they have MASSIVE inspections after races to catch people cheating.

All of you that feel it's ok to cheat, be sure to look your son or daughter in the eye and tell them if you're not cheating, you're not trying!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

From my limited experience with NASCAR, it's no secret that every team tests the limits of the rulebook to the fullest. That's not to say they cheat, just everyone is looking for whatever competitive advantage they can find and exploit the grey areas of the rules to do so. It's been that way since the dawn of the sport, and it's a big reason why there are such massive inspections before and after each race. In some cases, the "cheating" has led to new rules and innovations for the sport over the years
Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #19
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
From my limited experience with NASCAR, it's no secret that every team tests the limits of the rulebook to the fullest. That's not to say they cheat, just everyone is looking for whatever competitive advantage they can find and exploit the grey areas of the rules to do so. It's been that way since the dawn of the sport, and it's a big reason why there are such massive inspections before and after each race. In some cases, the "cheating" has led to new rules and innovations for the sport over the years
Yea thats right was that a dipole, quadrupole a sextupole or just one of those cheapie magnets off the refrigerator under that gas pedal..?
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

50k Fines and crew chiefs were suspended indefinitely. Also cost both drivers 150 points. Should be lesson learned the old fashioned way.

ESPN - Stewart, Logano each docked 150 points; crew chiefs suspended - Racing

Old 08-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #21
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
50k Fines and crew chiefs were suspended indefinitely. Also cost both drivers 150 points. Should be lesson learned the old fashioned way.

ESPN - Stewart, Logano each docked 150 points; crew chiefs suspended - Racing
The crew members have been suspended by JGR for at least the rest of this season plus they are levying monetary fines on them.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
There is a big difference between finding a competitive advantage and cheating. The magnets were cheating plain and simple.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #23
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
There is a big difference between finding a competitive advantage and cheating. The magnets were cheating plain and simple.
I don't think that line is a big as you think. I believe the feeling in the garage is that if they don't say you can't do it then go for it. The magnets are obviously outside the spirit of the rules but I'd bet the idea was hatched out of a mindset of competitive adavantge and not cheating.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #24
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I don't think that line is a big as you think. I believe the feeling in the garage is that if they don't say you can't do it then go for it. The magnets are obviously outside the spirit of the rules but I'd bet the idea was hatched out of a mindset of competitive adavantge and not cheating.
If that were true, the fines / penalties would not have been so severe.

Even the rookie NASCAR fans know you can't add or delete items to a car.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I think the fines levied by NASCAR sound more severe than they are. The docking of points is irrelevant, that was Stewart's final Nationwide race of the year. And neither he nor Logano is racing for a Nationwide title this year. Even with the penalty, JGR is still solidly in first place in owner standings. The biggest deterrent is really to Logano in that he won't get to work with his crew for the rest of the season (but that was JGR's decision).
Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #26
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
I think the fines levied by NASCAR sound more severe than they are. The docking of points is irrelevant, that was Stewart's final Nationwide race of the year. And neither he nor Logano is racing for a Nationwide title this year. Even with the penalty, JGR is still solidly in first place in owner standings. The biggest deterrent is really to Logano in that he won't get to work with his crew for the rest of the season (but that was JGR's decision).
Yes that was a JGR's decision, and a smart one. If I had to guess that one came from the Top down, I would have to think Joe made the final call on that one.

And I agree with it, very smart business move. Crisis management!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #27
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
If that were true, the fines / penalties would not have been so severe.

Even the rookie NASCAR fans know you can't add or delete items to a car.
I think you're being a litle naive on this man. NASCAR can't look like they condone cheating even though it is entrenched in the entire industry. When cheaters get caught they get hammered. The question is though how many don't get cuaght? I'd be an awful lot. And you don't see NASCAR going on a Goodellesque manhunt.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote