Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

If we were to TRADE UP, who would you shoot for?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #31
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: If we were to TRADE UP, who would you shoot for?

Don't want to takes sides on the dispute as that's about some old stuff it sounds like, but this thread is worth a discussion.

I do think this draft is worth trading up in IF your team has a lot of cap space to sign a top 10 pick. It costs so much to sign these guys & yet they've not even put on an nfl jersey. That said, the Skins can't afford to pay a top 10 pick IMO. But, if they were seriously throwing $21mil to ocho, then maybe a move up is viable, especially in the 10-15 range.

If we could trade our 1st & 3rd w/a team in the 10-15 range & get Chris Williams or Derrick Harvey I think it would be worth it. Or if S. Ellis was there still around picks 8-10. Actually, the Pats would be likely to want to trade out of pick #7.

Overall though, if given the choice I would rather see danny & vinny trade back w/the likes of Atl. & pick up additional 2nd rounders. If they could get 2 2nds for our 1st that would be sweet, or maybe their 2nd & 3rd, that wouldn't be bad.

I think in this draft the dilemna of picking at 21 is the fear that you're paying 1st round $ to 2nd round talent. As P. King said, after the top 10 the draft is a crap shoot, you never can predict it well. This draft has a couple top DTs, a few top OTs & a no. of solid cb's. Any of these guys might be worth moving up for just to make sure (in theory) that your first round pick is of high value. Again, I'd rather see us trade down, but if they don't brake the bank, trading up isn't a bad idea.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #32
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Clearly I wouldnt suggest trading up to draft McFadden, but why is the idea of trading up being dismissed so quickly?

Trading up could imply going from 21 to 18, to ensure we get a guy that the Eagles are also looking at. It happens all the time.

Maybe since we have two thirds, we trade our pick in the third round to move up higher into the second round.

So I think we take Phillps at 21. Then we trade our second and third to draft Campbell earlier in the second round
Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #33
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post
Clearly I wouldnt suggest trading up to draft McFadden, but why is the idea of trading up being dismissed so quickly?

Trading up could imply going from 21 to 18, to ensure we get a guy that the Eagles are also looking at. It happens all the time.

Maybe since we have two thirds, we trade our pick in the third round to move up higher into the second round.

So I think we take Phillps at 21. Then we trade our second and third to draft Campbell earlier in the second round
Moving from 21 to 18 would be a very fair and worthwhile discussion. But I was responding to the first post, talking about trading up to get someone like Long or McFadden. That clearly could not be done at 18, it could only be done by going up to the top 10 if not top 5, and is hence ludicrous.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #34
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

If we trade up then I would like to see a guy the team take a guy like Chris Long or Sedrick Ellis. Also wouldn't mind seeing the team make a play for Albert or Williams.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #35
skinsWill
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
However, if we were to offer say Portis for the 5th pick to get McFadden, I think I might pull that trigger.
Not to pile on you here but YOU CANT BE SERIOUS?!?!? Trade a young, proven, top tier pro, who is the complete package and essentially the heart and soul of our team for an unproven rookie?? There are only 3/4 players the redskins would trade up for Long/Dorsey/Ellis maybe Albert and to do that we would have to get too high to make it worth while along with the contract they would command.

this thread was doomed from the start....
The views and opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of skinsWill or any of his affiliates. We do however acknowledge that he can be an ass and does likes to argue. Pomotional consideration paid for by the following...
skinsWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #36
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Moving from 21 to 18 would be a very fair and worthwhile discussion. But I was responding to the first post, talking about trading up to get someone like Long or McFadden. That clearly could not be done at 18, it could only be done by going up to the top 10 if not top 5, and is hence ludicrous.
It is ludicrous given our situation, but it's actually probably quite possible for some team to relatively low ball the rams, falcons or chiefs to get one of those picks. I leave out the raiders cause I think Al will want his #4 no matter what.

Given what the falcons have done recently and how they're rebuilding, I would think they'd listen very seriously to offers to get out of the #3 pick. It would all depend on what qb they want in this draft. I know there is the point system to denote value for draft picks, but a lot of teams feel burdened by these top 10 picks that cost so much $. I think a few of them would be willing to settle for less than what the draft pick points dictate.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #37
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
If we trade up then I would like to see a guy the team take a guy like Chris Long or Sedrick Ellis. Also wouldn't mind seeing the team make a play for Albert or Williams.
I feel ya there, especially if any one of these guys falls further than expected. Trading up for Williams seems a very realistic possibility and I think would be a sound move if the staff feels he can be the RT of the near future and LT of the distant future.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #38
That Guy
Living Legend

mcfadden is more of a CAN miss RB than reggie bush... he's not half the player peterson is.

if we trade up, it has to be for harvey (unless we go way up for golston or long or a DT). McFadden is the last person i'd even consider trading up for. we have no need, he's not a very safe pick, and he'd cost a ton to get... not to mention having two rbs with 20mill+ release fees on one team is beyond stupid. no thanks.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #39
SkinsFanSince91
Special Teams

1) Chris Long
2) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
3) Derick Harvey
4) Ryan Clady
5) Sedrick Ellis
Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #40
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanSince91 View Post
1) Chris Long
2) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
3) Derick Harvey
4) Ryan Clady
5) Sedrick Ellis
Trade up to # 2 and take Jordy !!!!!!
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #41
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsWill View Post
Not to pile on you here but YOU CANT BE SERIOUS?!?!? Trade a young, proven, top tier pro, who is the complete package and essentially the heart and soul of our team for an unproven rookie?? There are only 3/4 players the redskins would trade up for Long/Dorsey/Ellis maybe Albert and to do that we would have to get too high to make it worth while along with the contract they would command.

this thread was doomed from the start....
You wouldn't pull that trigger straight up? Seriously?
Portis will be 27 when the season starts, that's not young for a RB, in fact that is closer to retirement than it is "young". He has dropped in YPC the past 3 seasons, and was a poor 3.9ypc this past season. He doesn't have a whole lot of miles left on him especially considering the punishment he's taken over the years. He's got one more good year left, so Portis could stay as the #1 for this year, but McFadden would take over next year after we released Portis. I'm not saying I think Portis stinks and I want him out of town, what I am saying is we could get considerably younger at the position with a sizable talent in McFadden...also, Portis is our highest paid player, so we would save money and set ourselves up for the future. Portis is actually worth something around the league RIGHT NOW, he won't be worth anything in 2 years.
I like Portis, he's a great player for us, but I think we are underestimating McFadden's ability. It's a win / win / win scenario if we traded Portis for McFadden straight up. (again, not like that would ever happen)

edit: Nevermind, after taking a gander at the cap info, he obviously restructured and helped us out. This would not benefit us after all, it would cost an unreal amount of money to pull this trigger.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #42
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

If I was to trade up, I'd like to trade up somewhere between the 10th-15th overall picks to either get a shot at Brandon Albert or Derrick Harvey. 10th-15th overall picks cost less than selecting in the top 10 and those are the two players that we would probably have the best shot of and they would both fill a need. Plus it would cost less to move up to one of those spots rather than trying to trade a bunch of picks to move into the top 10 or the top 5.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #43
SeanTaylor21
Special Teams

Colt Brennan, he was the most productive QB in college, lol.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6...rmationgg7.jpg

http://www.thehogs.net/sean-taylor/burgundy_heart.jpg
SeanTaylor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #44
Stuck in TX
Impact Rookie

I'd shoot for Chris Long

REMEMBER VT
Go Hokies
Stuck in TX is offline   Reply With Quote