Reed Doughty

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #31
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: Reed Doughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Another one might be that guy from LSU. Steltz?
Actually it wld be good idea - LaRon should have not any problem playing with him obviously.. It wld speed up Steltz's learning process..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #32
Larry Michael is Satan
Special Teams

Thumbs up Re: Reed Doughty

Reed "No Doubt-y"
He played college ball at Northern Colorado, and let me tell you, the unholy stench of slaughterhouses permeates the town of Greeley, CO in a way that I can't describe, but let's just say it was good preparation for Philadelphia. Let him play, put him in there at starter and see how he does. Obviously he's no ST, but who is? He'll need to be an in the box hitter, because I don't see him as the centerfielder type. We definately have more pressing needs in the draft.
Larry Michael is Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #33
GoSkins!
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSkins View Post
Obviously I am in the minority here but I just don't think Reed is a starting caliber NFL safety. I think Reed is a more than adequate backup safety, and great special teams player for us, but nothing more. I like Reed a lot and I hope that he proves my wrong but I just don't trust him back there.
The reality is that Reed is a late round draft pick who we hope turns out to be a solid contributer. Anything more than that is gravy. With that said, the way the defense is set up plays to his strengths. He is an excellent tackler and is playing in a backfield with a bunch of 1st and 2nd round talent and, except for Springs, we are young.

If I compare that to say... d-line, then I see that we have glaring needs there by comparison. On the d-line we have a potential stud in Andre Carter but then we fall off fast. Griffith can be great when healthy, but he has struggled hard lately. Same with Daniels but he is a lesser impact even when healthy. Our d-line youth is filled with late round picks that we are praying pan out. This is the area we need to shore up first early in the draft.

I don't see anything wrong with bringing in competition for Reed, but we may be best served finding a good coverage safety role player to swap out with him on passing downs late in the draft or as a free agent.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #34
schndr_tdd
Special Teams

As a first year starter ,Reed done an outstanding job of not getting burned deep,tackling,and pass coverage.With that said,last year he was learning on the job training.Now lets see if he can be a step quicker,and read the offense.Give him a chance to exceed.A superstar no,a solid DB absolutely.
schndr_tdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #35
Skinsfan1967
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Reed Doughty is the second coming of Mark Murphy.
My thoughts exactly. I might add a little bit of Brad Edwards mixed in.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #36
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinsfan1967 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I might add a little bit of Brad Edwards mixed in.
You are right! I forgot about good old Brad.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #37
WillH
The Starter

I was thoroughly impressed with Doughty performance last year. I was a little skeptical of him, I had heard his praises sung by coaches and players alike, but I couldn't shake the stigma that surrounded him in my mind for having been brought in for his similarity to Archuleta. He proved himself last year though. He's a good starter, all we need is some depth late in the draft or UDFA.

Cooley's comments are certainly promising, but I heard similar things about Lloyd last year. Lloyd never produced anything beforehand however, and Doughty stepped up big for us last year.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #38
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Reed had a nice season and deserves an opportunity to win a starting position. The Redskins have a number of needs to fill and they should remain flexible at #21 and take the best player available. They need offensive and defensive line help, corner back, safety and wide receiver. No need supersedes the other.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #39
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
Reed had a nice season and deserves an opportunity to win a starting position. The Redskins have a number of needs to fill and they should remain flexible at #21 and take the best player available. They need offensive and defensive line help, corner back, safety and wide receiver. No need supersedes the other.
I disagree. I think the DLine need is much more pressing than the rest. IMO, on the DL we need starters, the other places we need depth and role players.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #40
johnjaywilliams
Camp Scrub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look at it as this: What happens if Laron Landry gets injured?

And it's exactly the reason I think we should draft Kenny Philips. Reed Doughty served as a solid and proven backup in the NFL and played well on special teams, where he should continue to do so. If injury were to strike one of our safties, he's there to fill the void and hopefully do a solid job. If we don't have someone like Kenny Philips and Laron gets injured.. what happens? We have a very weak deep secondary.

I know this is based on alot of "Ifs" but no one ever thought that Sean Taylor would go down and it happened. I think we should take the precautions to keep our secondary strong so we don't get torched like 2006.

Check out this video of him: NFL Video Galleries

I agree. Reed is not tha answer at FS or SS, but hey we have alot of question in the secondary. we'll see what happends
johnjaywilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #41
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjaywilliams View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I look at it as this: What happens if Laron Landry gets injured?

And it's exactly the reason I think we should draft Kenny Philips. Reed Doughty served as a solid and proven backup in the NFL and played well on special teams, where he should continue to do so. If injury were to strike one of our safties, he's there to fill the void and hopefully do a solid job. If we don't have someone like Kenny Philips and Laron gets injured.. what happens? We have a very weak deep secondary.

I know this is based on alot of "Ifs" but no one ever thought that Sean Taylor would go down and it happened. I think we should take the precautions to keep our secondary strong so we don't get torched like 2006.

Check out this video of him: NFL Video Galleries

I agree. Reed is not tha answer at FS or SS, but hey we have alot of question in the secondary. we'll see what happends
Not a bad point, but there are two reasons that a potential LaRon Landry injury doesn't really justify the Phillips pick:

1) Can Phillips just replace Landry? They seem to be in two entirely different leagues when it comes to quality of player.

2) The same logic applies to every other position. Should we draft Brian Brohm with the 21st pick in case Campbell gets injured? You have to admit, that would be one hell of a contingency plan.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #42
The Goat
Pro Bowl

First off, I gotta be up on Doughty. The two things I like best about a player are work ethic and story - the kid already has a hell of a story coming from university of what in CO and then playin his guts out to take care of his little one. I know you guys already mentioned what Cooley said about him but man o man did that strike a cord in me. All I can say is I hope the guy is our solid starter at SS for years to come (in tandem with LL at FS).

I don't really know whether we must draft a safety. Pierson is ok at SS in case something happens to Doughty, but like GTripp just said how the hell do you replace Landry if something happens to him. I don't think there's a safety in the draft or FA near his caliber. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but Landry already has elite status in my book. Barring freak injuries I expect our safety tandem to be pretty stellar.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:47 AM   #43
rypper11
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
First off, I gotta be up on Doughty. The two things I like best about a player are work ethic and story - the kid already has a hell of a story coming from university of what in CO and then playin his guts out to take care of his little one. I know you guys already mentioned what Cooley said about him but man o man did that strike a cord in me. All I can say is I hope the guy is our solid starter at SS for years to come (in tandem with LL at FS).

I don't really know whether we must draft a safety. Pierson is ok at SS in case something happens to Doughty, but like GTripp just said how the hell do you replace Landry if something happens to him. I don't think there's a safety in the draft or FA near his caliber. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but Landry already has elite status in my book. Barring freak injuries I expect our safety tandem to be pretty stellar.
Completely agree. It is similar to trying to replace Thomas and Jansen last year. There are players in the NFL as good, but would they be willing to sign as a backup in case the starter gets hurt? If so, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders and Troy Polomalu (sp?) might be the only options to backup Landry and I doubt a trade for any of them makes sense.