Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

The Mitchell report

Other Sports

Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #31
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: The Mitchell report

I am so fuc#%ing sick of the roid talk. OMG STOP IT ALREADY. Everytime ESPN talks about it I just turn to NFL Network. Do they realize all they are doing is making more people want to take it? Enough already!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #32
jsarno
Franchise Player

See, the reason this is still around is cause nothing is being done about it. They came up with a joke of an agreement that allows the club to be notified 24 hours before tests. If you can't get all the roids out of your system in 24 hours, you're a moron.
This continues to be a huge issue because baseball allows the HORRIBLE players union to be involved in any decision on MLB's future. The players union could give two shits about the future of MLB, they are concerned about their own well being and survival. If the player union went on strike, who cares, get scabs and start over. Wipe the slate clean. This needs to be stopped, not coddled, or "slowed down". The mitchell report didn't do much, OTHER than showing the world this is not a 1 or 2 man issue, it's corrupted the entire sport.
So the real question is, what is MLB gonna do about it? Are they going to let the players union strong arm them into another horrible deal, or will they grow some nutts and stop it completely? (I bet on the former)
Old 12-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #33
chantilly101
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
This is just Selig's way of pushing blame from his office onto the players and teams. It's incredibly ridiculous how extensive this got. Instead of going into the past, he should have been busier trying to correct the problem going forward. Selig is the guy at the top, and instead of sharing the blame, he's pointing the finger at everyone else.

And what does this report tell us? That a number of players, including those not listed in the report, did steroids or HGH at some point in their careers. At this point, who cares? It's over and done with, and since you cannot go back and test everyone at important points in their career, why waste time figuring out the past, when you can correct it going forward.

I'm still convinced baseball turned a blind eye to the abuse to counter-act the strike and bring the fans back into the seats with 20 game winners that throw 98 mph, or guys who before couldn't hit water falling out of a boat figured out how to hit many long balls for one magical season (yes I'm talking about you Brady Anderson). And now that it became a hot button issue, they are making a big deal out of it and selling out those who "took one for the team." It's a load of bullshit if you ask me.

All parties (Commissioner, Teams, Players) are to blame, however the scapegoats will be listed on this report, and the game will finally be able to move on.
totaly agreed
this does not prove anything
Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #34
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantilly101 View Post
totaly agreed
this does not prove anything
Well, you really shouldn't agree, because you guys have no idea how hard the players union fought to stop drug tests. The players union is the worst in this, then blame can be tossed at MLB office, but it all started with the players, including the strikes.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #35
MPNRedskins
Special Teams

Here's something to think about with the Mitchell Report. Baseball numbers were way down before the Home Run chase of 1998. I'm sure MLB knew McGwire and Sosa were on something and allowed it to happen. Desperate times cause for desperate measures. Then, when Barry Bonds gets bigger and breaks the record, all of a sudden it becomes a huge issue. Is it a race issue? I think it is partly, but I hate people using the race issue as a crutch. Bonds' attitude and relationship with the media has a lot to do with everything being blown up like it is. There should be no punishment for whoever is on the Mitchell Report. It happened in the past. Leave it there. Go Red Sox!!!!!!
MPNRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:15 PM   #36
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPNRedskins View Post
Here's something to think about with the Mitchell Report. Baseball numbers were way down before the Home Run chase of 1998. I'm sure MLB knew McGwire and Sosa were on something and allowed it to happen. Desperate times cause for desperate measures. Then, when Barry Bonds gets bigger and breaks the record, all of a sudden it becomes a huge issue. Is it a race issue? I think it is partly, but I hate people using the race issue as a crutch. Bonds' attitude and relationship with the media has a lot to do with everything being blown up like it is. There should be no punishment for whoever is on the Mitchell Report. It happened in the past. Leave it there. Go Red Sox!!!!!!
McGwire never got implicated...Bonds had NUMEROUS sources that came out and said he used. From ex trainers to ex girlfriends, to baseball players. Bonds was so arrogant, he didn't bother to cover his trail. Nothing has implicated a person more than "Game of Shadows". Had that been a book that implicated McGwire, then we'd be talking about him right now. It has nothing to with race at all...not one iota.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #37
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
See, the reason this is still around is cause nothing is being done about it. They came up with a joke of an agreement that allows the club to be notified 24 hours before tests. If you can't get all the roids out of your system in 24 hours, you're a moron.
This continues to be a huge issue because baseball allows the HORRIBLE players union to be involved in any decision on MLB's future. The players union could give two shits about the future of MLB, they are concerned about their own well being and survival. If the player union went on strike, who cares, get scabs and start over. Wipe the slate clean. This needs to be stopped, not coddled, or "slowed down". The mitchell report didn't do much, OTHER than showing the world this is not a 1 or 2 man issue, it's corrupted the entire sport.
So the real question is, what is MLB gonna do about it? Are they going to let the players union strong arm them into another horrible deal, or will they grow some nutts and stop it completely? (I bet on the former)
You can't get roids out of your system in 24 hours. With some juice it takes 4-8 weeks to leave your system.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #38
Campbell17
Impact Rookie

no matter what they say I think they are all cheaters.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #39
70Chip
Playmaker

This is making it's way around:
Clemens: You want answers?
Congressman: I think I'm entitled to them.
Clemens: You want answers?
Congressman: I want the truth!
Clemens: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has baseballs. And those balls have to be hit by men with bats. Who's gonna do it? You? You,Congressman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for steroids and you curse HGH. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that HGH, while illegal, probably sells tickets. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, sells tickets...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that mound. You need me on that mound. We use words like fastall, slider, splitfinger...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent playing a sport. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and falls asleep to the Sportscenter clips I provide,! then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and dig in. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
Congressman: Did you order the HGH?
Clemens: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.
Congressman: Did you order the HGH?
Clemens: You're gddamn right I did!!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

Clemens is such a f'ing liar. Just own up and stop throwing others under the bus.