Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

A Few DirecTV Questions

Parking Lot

Old 12-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
cpayne5
Playmaker

A Few DirecTV Questions

For folks with the new HD DVR...

Are there two tuners like the old DVRs? If so, I assume each requires its own coax run?

When you first activated it, did it require an initial "phone home" to complete the installation?

I am building a brand new house and plan to get atleast one of these units for when we move in. I'd like to have all the cabling in place (before drywall goes up) so that things will go smoothly (ie, no new holes).

Any insight appreciated.

Advertisements
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: A Few DirecTV Questions

The HD DVR requires two coaxles to run into it. I beleive you still need to have a phone line next to it as well. IMO I would have the electrician add two coaxles outlets, a surge protected power outlet and a phone line.

for the record DirecTV sucks but, each is own.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The HD DVR requires two coaxles to run into it. I beleive you still need to have a phone line next to it as well. IMO I would have the electrician add two coaxles outlets, a surge protected power outlet and a phone line.

for the record DirecTV sucks but, each is own.
Why do you say that?

I think it's well worth it if only for the Sunday Ticket. Nothing beats being able to flip through all the games, and I LOVE the redzone channel. If the Skins aren't on I'll watch that all day.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
cpayne5
Playmaker

I'm already a DirecTV customer and I love it. I like it a lot better than my sister in law's Dish system.

I don't have any of my current receivers hooked up to phone lines at the moment, and everything works OK (my Tivo nags me once a day, but going on 800 days w/ that, so no big deal). I'm just hoping that the HD receiver doesn't need to connect to initialize itself.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
I'm already a DirecTV customer and I love it. I like it a lot better than my sister in law's Dish system.

I don't have any of my current receivers hooked up to phone lines at the moment, and everything works OK (my Tivo nags me once a day, but going on 800 days w/ that, so no big deal). I'm just hoping that the HD receiver doesn't need to connect to initialize itself.
The newer HDDVR receiver( i think its the HR20?) don't require a telephone line.
I had mine installed just before football season and asked the installer, the Installer said only the TIVO receivers need to be connected to a phone line.

Also, The new receiver will allow you to get the new HD channels. The older TIVO DVR isn't compatible with the new satellite.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

In my area DirecTV is horrible and I already get every Skins game with Comcast. NFL Ticket is cool but too much money. I was DTV customer for like eight years in Fairfax VA no problems. Moved to outside of B-more could not get a signal worth of crap, techs were horrible, and I was sick of always having to buy more equipment to keep up with the HD wave.

Like I said to each is own but, you will never get me to go back to them.

Actually last week I finally took down all their crap from my roof. The satellite makes a great sled!!!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
cpayne5
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
The newer HDDVR receiver( i think its the HR20?) don't require a telephone line.
I had mine installed just before football season and asked the installer, the Installer said only the TIVO receivers need to be connected to a phone line.

Also, The new receiver will allow you to get the new HD channels. The older TIVO DVR isn't compatible with the new satellite.
Great. Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
jbcjr14
The Starter

DirecTV is the savior for me living outside the Redskins viewing area. The NFL ticket is worth its weight in gold for me and watching 95% of the games in HD is nothing but pure bliss. I love it, never had a signal problem and will continue to use DirecTV unless they lose the NFL contract.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14 View Post
DirecTV is the savior for me living outside the Redskins viewing area. The NFL ticket is worth its weight in gold for me and watching 95% of the games in HD is nothing but pure bliss. I love it, never had a signal problem and will continue to use DirecTV unless they lose the NFL contract.
yep, ditto for me