89 PGA Championship & Ita A Hot One

Other Sports

Old 08-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Re: 89 PGA Championship & Ita A Hot One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
While I would like to agree with you with Ruth, I can not simply because back in Ruth's day, people weren't training to be baseball players. They did it for a job in a lot of cases, but did not take time out to train daily. Golfers now a days train daily...these people are the cream of the crop. They have high tech equipment, and trainers, and so on. The fact that Ruth was better than the others isn't as impressive to me as the Fact that Woods is far and away better than any golfer that ever lived.
plus Ruth, while great, wasn't playing against the absolute best in baseball due to segregation.

Advertisements
Old 08-12-2007, 12:36 AM   #17
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru View Post
plus Ruth, while great, wasn't playing against the absolute best in baseball due to segregation.

Good point.
The competition just wasn't as stiff back then as it is today.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #18
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: 89 PGA Championship & Its A Hot One

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Well they have started the Championship and the temps are going to be around 100 to 110 so I would not be surprised to see a player or caddy go down. So lets see your pick to win and your pick for who will drop out do to heat. I'm pcking Sergio to win just because I like the guy and he is do a Major. Colin Montgomery is going to make the cut but will not finish the Championship as he is not use to this heat and he is a big (heavy) guy. I really want Phil to win but his wrist still bothers him and I think John Daly has a good chance of going down and smashing out his cig..
I think you need to go teach Sergio how to fill out a scorecard apparently.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #19
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan_nn View Post
In the mean time TIGER is dusting the field! Who will finish 2nd...?

Well the TIGER show is over, NICE FINISH AS ALWAYS! Woody did a heck of a job to finish 2nd alone.....nice paycheck, and hes having a hell of a year.
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #20
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Good point.
The competition just wasn't as stiff back then as it is today.
this isn't a valid point. if you are talking about baseball. with 30+ teams, the talent is so watered down, half these guys shouldn't even be on a major league roster. let alone playing
Old 08-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #21
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
this isn't a valid point. if you are talking about baseball. with 30+ teams, the talent is so watered down, half these guys shouldn't even be on a major league roster. let alone playing
You are correct dmek. For those who have forgotten the forfathers, here are a few! These are the gents that laid the foundation for this game, not tiger woods. The competion was feircy back in yester year, and don't forget it. Tiger is still trying to get Jacks records.

Jack Nicklaus, Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Walter Hagen, Gene Sarazen,
Tom Watson
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

Old 08-12-2007, 11:40 PM   #22
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
100% disagree.
I seriously doubt that any pitcher from say the 1920's could throw 90+, and just about every pitcher can throw that hard today.
Not saying that makes a great pitcher, but the soft junk from yesteryear would be long gone from the hitters of today.
So while some teams have sub par players, they are still the cream of the crop and far and away better than the players of yesterday.
I have no doubt that Ruth would never even make a pro roster if he played today. He NEVER worked out, he NEVER really practiced, or wieght trained. He would be lucky to make it to single A.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #23
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I have no doubt that Ruth would never even make a pro roster if he played today. He NEVER worked out, he NEVER really practiced, or wieght trained. He would be lucky to make it to single A.
This is an insane statement. The guy was the most feared hitter in the history of the league. Even if today's pitchers reduce his effectivness 50% he is still better than half the league today whether he is fat or not. I think you are not understanding just how great he was.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #24
jbcjr14
The Starter

Another major victory for Mr. Woods. I believe this was #13. What a stellar performance this week by this guy. People would get close, he would shut the door.

Congrats on luck #13!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #25
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14 View Post
Another major victory for Mr. Woods. I believe this was #13. What a stellar performance this week by this guy. People would get close, he would shut the door.

Congrats on luck #13!
I hope you meant congrats on a major win #13, no LUCK involved.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #26
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
This is an insane statement. The guy was the most feared hitter in the history of the league. Even if today's pitchers reduce his effectivness 50% he is still better than half the league today whether he is fat or not. I think you are not understanding just how great he was.

I do understand how great he was...in his era.
You don't understand how much of a joke he was off the field, and how poorly he kept himself in shape. No team would have put up with him now.
He would be at best a cecil fielder type player now-a-days.

I'm not taking anything away from what he was back in his day, he was the greatest hitter ever back in the day, but we're talking about an amazingly different era now.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #27
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcjr14 View Post

Congrats on luck #13!
Did you know that Jack got his 13th when he was 35, and Tiger is 31. Jack ended with 18 majors and was 46 when he got his 18th. Tiger is on pace to get his 18th by the age of 41 at worst.