Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Wizards Re-Sign Stevenson

Other Sports

Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Wizards Re-Sign Stevenson

So with him in the fold now (I think it's 3 years, $15 million with an option for a fourth year) it's looking more likely that JCN is gone. Rumors keep circulating that he could be headed to Memphis along with Haywood (though Ernie would rather send Etan) for Swift. Here's what I might do though

Washington Trades: Etan Thomas, Juan Carlos Navarro
Washington Receives: Stromile Swift, Jarrett Jack

Memphis Trades: Stromile Swift
Memphis Gets: Joel Przybilla, Juan Carlos Navarro

Portland Trades: Joel Pryzbilla, Jarrett Jack
Portland Gets: Etan Thomas (may have to throw something additional Portland's way)

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Wizards Re-Sign Stevenson

I'm glad Stevenson is back. He's a good player on both ends of the court.

I don't think Swift OR Pryzbilla would be an upgrade over Etan. They're both very injury prone and the only thing Pryzbilla offers is blocks. A few years ago, he looked like he'd be a great player but since then...he's been horrible and hurt constantly. Jack's a good player though.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I'm glad Stevenson is back. He's a good player on both ends of the court.

I don't think Swift OR Pryzbilla would be an upgrade over Etan. They're both very injury prone and the only thing Pryzbilla offers is blocks. A few years ago, he looked like he'd be a great player but since then...he's been horrible and hurt constantly. Jack's a good player though.
Well, we wouldn't get Przybilla. More than anything, Swift gives us an expiring contract after this year. $20 some million off the books. And until then, he's an athletic big man who can run
Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
dmek25
MVP

swift is the superior player in the mix. i don't think you giving Memphis Thomas makes it work
Old 07-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
swift is the superior player in the mix. i don't think you giving Memphis Thomas makes it work
Well salary cap wise it works and with the Grizzlies spending big on Darko Swift's day could be numbered there.

But yeah from a talent perspective, they wouldn't necessarily be improving by adding Etan
Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Good to see Stevenson re-signed. I know he didn't play all that well in the playoffs, but I'm sure thats because he wasn't used to being one the primary options on offense. He's much better w/ Gilbert and Caron on the floor. Plus, he's a solid defender.

SS, do you think both Haywood and Thomas will be traded? Would that mean that Pech is our starting center?
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

The success of re-signing Deshawn will be subject to what we can get by moving JCN's rights. If we don't get much, I would have rather let Deshawn walk and taken my chances with JCN. Either way, I am glad we didn't madly overpay Deshawn.

The contract is 4 years for 15M with the fourth year being a player option (that may be what you wrote SS, but the way you wrote it it looks like we're paying him an average of 5M a year, when it is actually 3.75). For an NBA starter, that isn't a ton of money. I just hope it leaves us enough to re-sign Baltche.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
jdlea
Playmaker

I like the re-signing of Stevenson, but for 3 years, I'm not so sure. I don't know how much longer he'll start with Young coming into the fold. I like Nick Young and hope that he and Gil can play in the back court more often this season. However, where does that leave DeShawn, Caron, or Jamison?

Is there any chance Eddie Jordan does his best Nellie impression and tosses Jamison out as a center every now and then and just has the guys run everyone off the floor like Golden State did?
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
itvnetop
Playmaker

The signing isn't bad, but we were basically bidding against ourselves. Then again, it's not so backloaded as to handicap the Wiz later on... he'll just be an overpaid backup in years three and four. I think this was a "please Gil" move. Plus, he's not going to demand the ball from the 2 spot (which isn't needed in our system with the players we have).

What this also means is that we've got to find that trade partner for Etan and La Bomba before Blatche gets an MLE offer sheet (hopefully, nobody will pony it up). If he gets one first, we have less leverage with which to trade away salary.

I really like getting Jack and Swift... although Miles looked really good in the summer league- he didn't make many mistakes and got the others involved. Not a bad third option at the point.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I definitely like what I saw from Miles this summer, kind of Chris Whitney/Brevin Knight-esque. Just knows where to put the ball. And Dominic completely surprised me. Could be the steal of the draft

Let's just hope the Mavs don't make Blatche a huge offer
Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 AM   #11
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And Dominic completely surprised me. Could be the steal of the draft
If the summer was any indication, McGuire is definitely the steal of the draft. The dude's all around game is impressive... he'll be useful defending multiple positions. Was surprised by his ability to bring the ball up the court too.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #12
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

McGuire did look good, but his over-reliance on his spin move reminded me of Etan. If he can develop his ball-handling skills a bit more he is going to create all kinds of match-up problems. I hope we can find him some minutes this year with all the guys fighting for time.