Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs to give up playcalling

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #46
offiss

Re: Gibbs to give up playcalling

Joe Walton was our coordiantor for our recoed breaking season, Joey T. has said he felt he was the best coordinator he ever had.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 PM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Joe Walton was our coordiantor for our recoed breaking season, Joey T. has said he felt he was the best coordinator he ever had.
You're half right. Joey T. did call him the best, but he wasn't the coordinator during our record breaking season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04174/335774.stm

To this day, Joe Theismann, who played for Walton with the Redskins, will tell you there might not be a better offensive mind in the game.

http://northeastconference.org/Sport..._joewalton.asp

Walton had his most recent NFL duty in 1990-91, when he served two years as Chuck Noll’s offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers. When Noll retired in 1991, a new staff came aboard, and Walton went into the moving business. From 1983-89, he headed the Jets. Also among his years in the NFL were two seasons as the Jets’ offensive coordinator (1981-82), seven with the Washington Redskins (offensive coordinator 1978-80; running backs 1974-77) and five with the New York Giants (wide receivers 1969-73).
Old 01-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #48
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
You're half right. Joey T. did call him the best, but he wasn't the coordinator during our record breaking season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04174/335774.stm

To this day, Joe Theismann, who played for Walton with the Redskins, will tell you there might not be a better offensive mind in the game.

http://northeastconference.org/Sport..._joewalton.asp

Walton had his most recent NFL duty in 1990-91, when he served two years as Chuck Noll’s offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers. When Noll retired in 1991, a new staff came aboard, and Walton went into the moving business. From 1983-89, he headed the Jets. Also among his years in the NFL were two seasons as the Jets’ offensive coordinator (1981-82), seven with the Washington Redskins (offensive coordinator 1978-80; running backs 1974-77) and five with the New York Giants (wide receivers 1969-73).

After I wrote it I thought about it and checked into it, he was out in 83' my bad. For some reason I thought Joey T. had gave Walton credit for that season but the old memory was a little off on that one.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #49
Jason72
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayer
Can anyone confirm that Dan Henning called the plays back in the 80s? I've done a google search on this and have found nothing. I think I recall hearing John Riggins saying this on George Michael's show, but I'm looking for independent verification.
Yes, I remember very clearly this being a very public fact that was especially talked about after Henning left the second time for a head coaching position (1987 I think). Henning had two stints with the Redskins as OC (in between HC gigs) and called plays most of that time.
Jason72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #50
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

I don't know why, but I was always under the impression that Gibbs was in complete control of the offense and has always called the plays from day one, back in 1981.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #51
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
I don't know why, but I was always under the impression that Gibbs was in complete control of the offense and has always called the plays from day one, back in 1981.
Because the current media acts like that. They are a generally clueless bunch that will repeat anything they hear. One guy on ESPN says Gibbs has always called the plays and suddenly it is the truth. Morons, all of them, morons.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:27 AM   #52
Jason72
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
Because the current media acts like that. They are a generally clueless bunch that will repeat anything they hear. One guy on ESPN says Gibbs has always called the plays and suddenly it is the truth. Morons, all of them, morons.
You're soo right! I can't believe some of these people get paid good money to get so many facts wrong. My only knowledge of the Redskins comes from following the team for the last 15 years and yet I seem to know much more than the average sports guy on tv, radio or newspaper. They get facts about the Redskins wrong all the time. In this case it was a headline that was repeated by almost everyone ( including Comcast) that told the news.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #53
Longtimefan
Playmaker

"The whole art of existance consists of giving up one's existance in order to exist" Ann Rand.....
This is typical in what Gibbs has done in this instance and I salute him for not having an ego preventing him from realizing perhaps he needed to make a change. There are very few coaches in the NFL who would have "willingly" made such a move and I feel the entire organization will be better for it. It further demonstrates just how much he wants to bring back a winner and we should all feel fortunate to have him as the man in charge. His choice to supplant him is one of the best and demonstrates what his reputation does for the organization. We couldn't attract a staff like the one we have had he not returned. I'm so thankful to have a coach like Joe Jackson Gibbs.

Braves On The Warpath!!!!!!!
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #54
That Guy
Living Legend

int main()
{
if (will to win > ego)
{
goto SB;
}