Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Gibbs and Play Calling

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
Horseplayer
Camp Scrub

Gibbs and Play Calling

ESPN is reporting that Al Saunders will do the play-calling for the Redskins next year. Moreover, ESPN and others are misinformed and report that this is the first time that Gibbs will give up his play calling duties.

1) Jack Burns called the plays this season in 2005.

2) I remember John Riggins on George Michael's Redskins Report say that back in the 80s, it was Dan Henning who called the plays, not Gibbs.

Can anyone confirm this last point? I've been trying to find verification that Henning called the plays back in the 80s to no avail.

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Re: Gibbs and Play Calling

welcome man.

I don't trust much of what mort says anymore. It always feels he gets an "inside scoop" and it turns out to be untrue.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
cpayne5
Playmaker

Joe Gibbs hasn't been calling the plays for the past season and a half. Yes, it goes from his mouth to the QB, but all he does is basically relay what the guys upstairs say. With this setup, he has the ability to veto and change any call, but by his own admission, he rarely (if ever), does.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
bigm29
Special Teams

As happy as i am to see al saunders, all these articles i read about how gibbs is stepping down and handing the offense over to saunders. i see quotes like "what will gibbs role be next year" he is the head coach and he is still the man in charge of this team. I think the critics are trying to bring gibbs down. So now after we win the super bowl next, u know they are gonna try to give all the credit to gibbs assistants rather than him. I am frustrated with these articles. does any one else feel the same way
Old 01-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

The press acts likes this is big news--but don't LOTS of coaches have their O-coordinators call plays? What did Saunders do in KC, for example? What did Peyton do for Parcells, etc, etc.

As if Gibbs isn't in complete control of everything from top to bottom at Redskins park. It's just that he knows how to delegate and get the best out of the team he's assembled. That's been his MO in the NFL and in NASCAR. Or am I wrong about this?

Anyway, Gibbs egoless approach is fine with me--get the best folks, prepare the team better than anyone in the league, and inspire everyone woth your character, hard-work, and committment to winning. Yeah, like Gibbs has nothing to do... what nonesense.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:51 AM   #6
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm29
So now after we win the super bowl next, u know they are gonna try to give all the credit to gibbs assistants rather than him. I am frustrated with these articles. does any one else feel the same way
Does Gibbs really need credit? I mean, he has done it all and doesn't need acknowledgment from the media to begin with. Oh and If credit is due, I'm sure the assistants will be very deserving of it. One of them is bound to become the next head coach after all.

All I or anyone should care about is that we won a SB and not what the press thinks.

-Jenkins
Old 01-23-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
j_j__l
Camp Scrub

I agree with Saden1...Gibbs knows what he's doing and doesn't care about credit, he's already in the HOF...all he cares about is getting the REDSKINS to the SB, and back to the glory days.....Just think, win the SB next year, and then gibbs can move up to GM and leave Williams as the head coach and Snyder can overpay Saunders to stay onemore year to win back to back...and then Saunders can go coach who ever he wants to, because we will have his offense down pack by then, and someone inline to step up in his place.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=10769

Already being discussed, please search before posting.
Closed Thread