Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Happy Veteran's Day

Parking Lot

Old 11-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Happy Veteran's Day

This is a day to say Thank You and to honor our Veterans for all they have given and sacrificed for this great country.If any of you have served and are Veteran's may I say thank you for your service and sacrifice,yours and your family's.

Advertisements
Old 11-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Happy Veteran's Day

I wish I had a better message than "thank you for your service." My brother is an ex-Marine and according to him and most of his buddies they don't like it when people say that. But I don't really have any other way to say it, besides "thanks for doing a dangerous job that not many people are willing to do."
Old 11-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Thanx dad...fought in the Vietnam war. Enlisted, not drafted. Best man I've ever known.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I wish I had a better message than "thank you for your service." My brother is an ex-Marine and according to him and most of his buddies they don't like it when people say that. But I don't really have any other way to say it, besides "thanks for doing a dangerous job that not many people are willing to do."
When I was in my 20s and early 30s, I always wanted to thank random people I see in uniform but always felt kinda awkward. Now in my late 30s staring at 40, I dont feel that way. Maybe it was bc they were my age ...

Thank you to the Veterans. Hopefully the VA will clean up their act.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Giantone
Gamebreaker

I do it but not all the time, my wife does it all the time! Both son in-laws(in the military) have said they feel awkward when someone tells them that,they don't know how to respond.I tell them just to say Thank you back and to have a nice day.

P.S.

I had to go on and explain that during and after Vietnam people showed open hatred for the Military and people do this now so that never happens again.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
When I was in my 20s and early 30s, I always wanted to thank random people I see in uniform but always felt kinda awkward. Now in my late 30s staring at 40, I dont feel that way. Maybe it was bc they were my age ...

Thank you to the Veterans. Hopefully the VA will clean up their act.
True shit, great point. Hearing about places like Walter Reed and other hospitals around the country makes me sad that we can't do something as simple as take care of the people who have literally given life/limb for our country.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
True shit, great point. Hearing about places like Walter Reed and other hospitals around the country makes me sad that we can't do something as simple as take care of the people who have literally given life/limb for our country.
I feel like an ass saying this but ive seen too much of it to not say it ... a lot of fraudulent exagerated disability claims. A "disabled" vet in his 40s who helped me move last year is on lifetime disability, just bought a new house and just collects his money. Not to mention the fake ptsd claims I have seen. You were never deployed over seas but claim ptsd, really? I know a husband wife combo that both get a large check every month for ptsd ... while he does home renovation work and drives his crotch rocket motorcycle like an a hole.

On the flip side, I tried to help a vietnam vet who was exposed to agent orange but the VA didnt diagnose his cancer until it was terminal .. when just basic adequate medical attention would have discovered it a lot sooner. That was at the huge VA hospital in winchester w va.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #8
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
I feel like an ass saying this but ive seen too much of it to not say it ... a lot of fraudulent exagerated disability claims. A "disabled" vet in his 40s who helped me move last year is on lifetime disability, just bought a new house and just collects his money. Not to mention the fake ptsd claims I have seen. You were never deployed over seas but claim ptsd, really? I know a husband wife combo that both get a large check every month for ptsd ... while he does home renovation work and drives his crotch rocket motorcycle like an a hole.

On the flip side, I tried to help a vietnam vet who was exposed to agent orange but the VA didnt diagnose his cancer until it was terminal .. when just basic adequate medical attention would have discovered it a lot sooner. That was at the huge VA hospital in winchester w va.
Another fair point, much like anything else people who abuse the system make the entire thing look bad. I wish I had a better answer but that's a complex problem that you can't just fix with one solution.