Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

what if we did not release stephen davis

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #16
EEich
The Starter

If we had kept Davis, we would likely not have been in a position to draft Taylor.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #17
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

I am just happy where we are now. I don't really care how we got here (the Past) I am looking to the future.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:42 PM   #18
memphisskin
Impact Rookie

I disagree about Davis wearing down at the end of the season. I think he's a strong back all year long. Now I do wish that we had renegotiated Davis' contract down to a reasonable number, but we all knew that wasn't going to happen with SS running the show.

I think Stephen Davis is a premier back, you don't rush for the kind of yardage he puts up without being a factor all season long. Now Davis did have a high ankle sprain at the end of the year, but there's no sense in debating injuries because you cannot predict or prevent them! A running back is going to take hits, heck even Portis missed time last year with a bruised sternum.

I can tell that it's a lean news time because he we are talking about hypotheticals. When in fact, the current reality is much brighter than anything we could have hoped for 2 or 3 or 4 years ago.
memphisskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #19
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

i don't know about anyone else, but anytime i think about davis, i remember the gaffs he had when inside the 5 yard line and while trying to run out the clock. i know he didn't fumble a lot, but when he did they always seemed to have come at the worst possible time in the game. i liked davis' "i'm gonna knock the snot out of you" mentality, but i'd rather have the players we've gained since letting him and his way overpriced contract. instead of one pretty good, when healthy, running back in davis, we were able to aquire 5 players(coles, thomas, hall, morton, and portis) in the top 10 of their respective positions. i'd take take 5 really good players over any one pretty good player in football every time.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:36 PM   #20
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I agree, FRPLG (what does that stand for???).

What ifs are good for slow news times (as Memphis points out), but this one is pretty far from reality. There are too many variables.

I always liked SD, but those crucial fumbles and the injuries are what I remember most.

GO CLINTON PORTIS!!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:29 PM   #21
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Clinton Portis played in 12 games his first year and 12 or 13 in his second year. And still got over the 1500 yard mark. CP isnt the type of back that wears down a defense and gets his 100 yards everygame. Hes the type of back that breaks 20 yards runs in the first and fourth quarter, and gets atleast 150 everygame. Clinton Portis is going to shine as a Redskin next year. My guess is that he ends up with less rushing yards, but ends up a lot more receptions. Hes going to be a threat as a receiving HB. The only back in the league that I would give more credit to is LT. Granted, his the only player on that offense, but still, to have 1800 yards rushing and 100 receptions is damn impressive.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #22
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I agree with FRPLG, who knows what retaining Davis would have done.

Regardless of cap issues, and recognizing that Portis is an upgrade for a number of reasons, I was sorry to see Davis go. He struck me as both a quality player and quality guy. In his prime, he was my kind of back- he literally pounded defenses into submission and constantly gave his all. After one game under Marty, Tre Johnson and Jansen said they loved blocking for him b/c they could see fear in the defense's eyes when Davis got the ball; per Johnson "Davis is a BEAST". That's what I want my back to do to a defense.

I am glad he is with a team that seems to appreciate him and his abilities.

(BTW - Mrs. JoeRedskin never forgave the Spurrier for not finding a way to keep him. All last year, she would yell at the screen - "You're a dumbass Spurrier, don't you wish you had Stephen now???". I thought it was hilarious.)
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:04 PM   #23
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

If Carolina said we could have our pick between Foster and Davis, I'd be loading Deshaun onto Redskin One right now.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote