Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

The Misguided Freakout About Basement-Dwelling Millennials

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
tshile
Special Teams

The Misguided Freakout About Basement-Dwelling Millennials

The Misguided Freakout About Basement-Dwelling Millennials - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

Quite a different story than the oft-cited claim that "Today's kids" are overly lazy or somehow significantly less motivated, more spoiled, etc than kids from the "Good 'ol days"

In fact... there are less people aged 18-31 living at home while not attending college these days than there were in the '80s. Not significantly less, but less... nonetheless.

tshile is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: The Misguided Freakout About Basement-Dwelling Millennials

Honestly there will always be a sub-sect of older individuals that will complain no matter what. These are frequently the same people claiming that America would get back on track if the country became more religious and people as a whole were more willing to take on dirty jobs. All the while they can't wait to deport illegal immigrants from Latin America who frequently consist of devoted Christians willing to take on virtually any job.

Steven Lynch - Superhero
Quote:
If I could be a Superhero,
I'd be Immigration Dude
I'd send all the foreigners back to their homes
For eating up all of our food
And taking our welfare and best jobs to boot
Like landscaping, dish washing, picking our fruit

I'd pass lots of laws to get rid of their brood
Because I would be Immigration Dude.
Of course I've seen reports that suggest that millennials surprisingly are very similar to the Greatest Generation of All Time. (Greatest Generation usually consist of the Grandparents of millennials and are most frequently associated with WW2 service hence their alternate name the G.I Generation).
Why Millennials are the new Greatest Generation | Switch and Shift

In short both have now been part of a devastating financial crisis (Great Depression/Great Recession) and ironically have lived with Parents longer in part because a decent amount of parents were able to make a large amount of money during the previous decade which saw an economic boom (1920's/1990's). Both generations have also been found to be very civic minded and also turned off by the greed exhibited by their parent's generation which both generations feel played a large part in each respective financial crisis.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshile View Post
The Misguided Freakout About Basement-Dwelling Millennials - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

Quite a different story than the oft-cited claim that "Today's kids" are overly lazy or somehow significantly less motivated, more spoiled, etc than kids from the "Good 'ol days"

In fact... there are less people aged 18-31 living at home while not attending college these days than there were in the '80s. Not significantly less, but less... nonetheless.

Have to disagree with you here as the article says they were in a college dorm ,so they are not living at home , who is paying for that college dorm and where did those kids go to at break time or summer vacation , do you think the parents rent out the rooms when they graduate high school ?Also I notice not a lot of info in the article about the kids and after college graduation , who are they living off , with till the first fulltime grown up job come around...Mom and Dad .Sorry but the writer of the article is way off base here .
Didn't address the problem of the Thirty something's moving home because of down sizing or lay offs and bringing the family with them , I'll agree maybe the numbers aren't right on the button but they are pretty damn close .
Old 08-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
tshile
Special Teams

Why is it always assumed that because you're in college you're there on your parents' dime? And even if you are, what's wrong with that? Society is better off the more educated the populace is...

The point of the article is that while more people aged 18-30 are 'living at home', the entire phrase 'living at home' is completely disingenuous and the conversation is normally held to take shots at the youngest adult generation with implications of laziness, entitlement, etc.

When in reality any 'spike' in kids living at home is clearly correlated with a different take on education than what the generations before had.

Where they are after school would require a little more research - do you have information that says they're still living at home for a significant period of time? (I say significant because it's not abnormal to live at home for 6 months post-graduation while trying to look for a job... for example)

I'd like to see the numbers of 30+'s that you mention, I have not seen them before. Is this a new trend, as your post seems to imply?

The bottom line is it isn't the epidemic it's made out to be, and the entire conversation is missing very important context to go along with the numbers.
tshile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshile View Post
Why is it always assumed that because you're in college you're there on your parents' dime? And even if you are, what's wrong with that? Society is better off the more educated the populace is...

The point of the article is that while more people aged 18-30 are 'living at home', the entire phrase 'living at home' is completely disingenuous and the conversation is normally held to take shots at the youngest adult generation with implications of laziness, entitlement, etc.

When in reality any 'spike' in kids living at home is clearly correlated with a different take on education than what the generations before had.

Where they are after school would require a little more research - do you have information that says they're still living at home for a significant period of time? (I say significant because it's not abnormal to live at home for 6 months post-graduation while trying to look for a job... for example)
I doubt that this is about recent college grads at home ,I for one certanly understand that point have no problem with it at all .
I am curiouse about when you say... "When in reality any 'spike' in kids living at home is clearly correlated with a different take on education than what the generations before had."... could you explain that a little ,what do you mean "a different take on education"?