Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Fat Is Now A Disease

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
firstdown
Living Legend

Fat Is Now A Disease

Known Causes:

Some of the know causes of this disease are All You Can eat buffets, French fries, Ice Cream, Soda, Pizza, and shitty food that comes from boxes.

Symptoms:

Some of the symptoms include urges to lay on the couch for hours watching Oprah, Jerry Springer and/or that CSI show.

Medical group recognizes obesity as a disease
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
SirLK26
The Starter

Re: Fat Is Now A Disease

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Ladies and Gentleman....RICKY GERVAIS!

SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

I am in full agreement with Gervais, however the Dictionary definition would say it's so.

1.A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a...
2.A particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people.

It's a self inflicted disease, I'd be in favor of euthanizing the morbidly obese. WHO estimates 870 million people worldwide are starving and we have dumbasses who can't maintain a correct or even reasonable calorific intake.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

lol I love Ricky Gervais but if alcohol or drug addiction is considered a disease, why not obesity?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
I am in full agreement with Gervais, however the Dictionary definition would say it's so.

1.A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a...
2.A particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people.

It's a self inflicted disease, I'd be in favor of euthanizing the morbidly obese. WHO estimates 870 million people worldwide are starving and we have dumbasses who can't maintain a correct or even reasonable calorific intake.
Words of wisdom from RedskinRat. LOL. I wouldn't take it that far, but obesity really is a serious problem, especially when you look at 3rd world countries. You have people over there who are constantly worrying over where their next meal is going to come from, and then you have dumba**** over here who can't even control their eating. Pathetic.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Come on, SirLK26, we can hunt them as a PPV to finance food programs!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Come on, SirLK26, we can hunt them as a PPV to finance food programs!
You are now living up to your title as the Official Irritant of the Warpath!

This hunt you're planning...When are you going? Gimme a call.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
You are now living up to your title as the Official Irritant of the Warpath!

This hunt you're planning...When are you going? Gimme a call.
Absolutely, I'm PM you!

It'll be an au naturel hunt, in keeping with my bizarre personal standards: Naked and armed only with a rolled up copy of the WSJ. Still in?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
SirLK26
The Starter

RR, I was thinking more along the lines of an armored Jeep with machine guns and grenades, so as not to get too close. Your idea is more...interesting. Yep, still in! Any others interested?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
firstdown
Living Legend

The thing is the AMA went against their own councel making this a disease and its all about the money. Now that its a disease its going to be covered by insurance and that was the key for them. Now every little fat fight plan will be covered by insurance, easy gliders, collect disibilty easier, etc...
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Damn I thought I was fat because I took in more calories than I burned off, not because it is a disease. In my defense I was once a work out warrior but injuries and failed surgeries have left me unable to do anything more than walk slow, which doesn't hardly burn any calories. I think they misuse the disease label to try to get through to people to help them. They have been calling drug addiction and alcoholism a disease for years. I guess saying "You need to get help for your disease" will get a person to listen better than "Stop stuffing your face and drinking beer, you fat drunk."
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm torn on this issue. There are a few different categories to me. While the primary culprit is eating more than you burn off, I do not believe that our eating is the only problem. Heredity is also a factor in obesity. Some people are more prone to being large than others.

Please don't misunderstand, the largest source of obesity revolves around poor eating habits. If people constantly stuff their face with fried/processed/fast foods, they will gain weight. I think we need to look at how we support these industries and crack down. Part of the reason fast food is so cheap are the massive subsidies they get from the government. If we're giving out subsidies, they need to be for fruits and vegetables for farmers markets, etc. We also need to look into the food deserts.

I'm considered overweight. I'm 5'11 and 185 lbs. I go to the gym fairly regularly, I ride a bike, I typically opt for the stairs over an elevator. My Dr. said I'm healthy and to not to be concerned with that categorization. I certainly wouldn't consider myself skinny or athletic, but I do not consider myself fat or obese. Part of the problem with obesity is how we measure it. It needs to be more than a simple weight/height and BMI.

That said, I do see how it can be considered a disease. While it is self inflicted, many other diseases are also self inflicted. People don't blame alcoholics. People don't blame drug addicts. I think those two have far less of an excuse. You have to eat to live, and that can become addictive. You do not have to drink or do drugs ever. As usual, the obesity issue in America isn't a one-size fits all solution we seem to try to put on every problem. It's a complex issue with differing solutions per person. The only real way to cut down on the intake of these foods is to make them cost prohibitive.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I once said of an evil boss I had who was incredibly obese. "Somewhere deep inside of K.L. is a kind, caring woman ... it's a damn shame K.L. ate her."