Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Overrated/Underrated Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Overrated/Underrated Redskins

I listed one player on offense and one player on defense for each category.

Underrated today: Barry Cofield, Chris Chester.

Overrated today: Brian Orakpo, Fred Davis.

All-time underrated: Larry Brown, Dave Butz.

All-time overrated: Lavar Arrington, Billy Kilmer

Advertisements
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
irish
Playmaker

I think a lot of the views on CP are filtered through how much $ he was making. I think if his contract was more reasonable then I dont think he'd be considered so over-rated.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Explain to me how Clinton Portis is overrated. He's one of my all-time favorite NFL players, any position, so you really hurt my feelings by insulting him. Just kidding.

But, really, explain it to me. For his career in Washington, he had 6,824 yards, 46 TDs, and a 4.1 avg. When he was healthy, he averaged 1,395 yards a season. 9 TDs a season. And a 4.2 average.

And that is just stats. That's not saying anything about his locker room presence, his example setting, even his stats beyond running. A HOFer in my books without a question. I love Alfred Morris and I'm a huge fan of his. But given the choice between Alfred Morris and a healthy Portis, the choice is so obvious...

I know Morris broke Portis' single season rushing record last year, but if we had had Portis with this good of a team, instead of the crappy teams he had to put up with, he would have gotten over 1,800 yards, possibly broke Dickerson's record. Did he have a problem with staying on the field? Yes. But that takes very little from his legacy as one of the greatest running backs of ALL TIME.
Well first let me say that CP his first year here was great. Also CP was a GREAT blocking back. But considering that we got rid of an all pro CB in Champ Bailey for him, that is one point i need to make. Because we re basically saying that a RB is as good as a CB, and that Portis was as good if not better to Gibbs in his eyes than Champ Bailey was. But had we of known how to draft we would have been able to get a back as good if not better than CP.

Another thing to point out about CP is that he wasn't that game changing speed/break away back like a Chris Johnson, AP, McCoy, Jamal Charles is. He had one long TD run in his whole career. The money we paid him at that time said to me that he was a top 5 back, parts of his career you can argue that, but for a majority of his Redskins career he was more of a top 10 back in my eyes. Which is still good, but not Great like others say he is.

Health is another problem he had. He was out of the league before he was 30 I believe. I know RBs careers are short, but his seemed even shorter. The last four years of his career starting when he was 25-26, the injuries really caught up to him.

Just remember that a player being overrated doesn't mean he's bad, it can also mean that he isn't as good as the hype, but he can still be very good.

I think Clinton was a very good back at times, but there was a time that people talked about him as if he was hall of fame worthy. He also had a pretty big ego, letting the whole face of the franchise get to his head at times. His costumes were kinda funny and different, but I didn't really think much of them other than the other great backs in the league don't need to dress up in drag or wigs to get attention.

Ill also say that I'd take Stephen Davis in his prime over Portis in his prime.

Last edited by CultBrennan59; 06-19-2013 at 10:52 AM.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

CP was also outstanding in pass protection.

Edit: Noted above before I posted.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
SirLK26
The Starter

I'm just saying that, in my opinion, Clinton Portis was one of the best RBs in history. Very talented, very exciting to watch. Now, Tomlinson, Peterson, Dunn, some of those guys, yes, were more talented. But he was more exciting as a player, at least to me, and he was a lot of fun to follow. HOFer, without a doubt.

SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

CP was an excellent Redskin. I don't think he should be put in an over-rated category, and the trade shouldn't even be considered, because of the back story around it. If he had been in a stable organization I think he would have had a MUCH better career, but he wasn't and the Redskins weren't. He had his flaws, particularly going direct to Snyder, and griping about preseason, but in season on the field his game was as good as expectations.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
irish
Playmaker

No chance that CP gets in the HoF.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #23
RGIII

Sean Taylor is underrated.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Defensewins
Playmaker

All Time Overrated by his fans: Patrick Ramsey
All Time Underrated: Dave Butz, Mike Nelms

Overrated today: Brian Orakpo, mainly due large amount of time lost time due to injury and lack of true LB instinct in space and pass coverage. He is more of a DE like Andre Carter, an excellent athlete and pass rusher, but he gets lost and looks confused sometimes in space. Not yet a complete LB.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
No chance that CP gets in the HoF.
Look at that video I posted, and if you still say that Portis isn't worthy, we're gonna have to take this outside.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #26
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I'm just saying that, in my opinion, Clinton Portis was one of the best RBs in history. ... HOFer, without a doubt.
Uhh, I hate to burst your bubble, but he is by no means a 'without a doubt' HOFer. Just because he holds some of the Redskins records for rushing doesn't mean he's a sure HOFer. Considered for the Hall of Fame way down the road? Maybe, but even then thats being generous to be honest with you.

Keep this in mind, Alfred Morris has been with us 1 year and has already broken the Redskins single season rushing record which was previously held by Clinton. Will Alfred break Clintons receiving numbers by a back? Maybe not. Will he block as great as Portis did? Probably not. But will he have more TDs, more yards, more first downs and be a better value than Portis? Its too early to tell, but the early signs point to him being a cheaper just as, if not more, productive back than CP.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
SirLK26
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Uhh, I hate to burst your bubble, but he is by no means a 'without a doubt' HOFer. Just because he holds some of the Redskins records for rushing doesn't mean he's a sure HOFer. Considered for the Hall of Fame way down the road? Maybe, but even then thats being generous to be honest with you.

Keep this in mind, Alfred Morris has been with us 1 year and has already broken the Redskins single season rushing record which was previously held by Clinton. Will Alfred break Clintons receiving numbers by a back? Maybe not. Will he block as great as Portis did? Probably not. But will he have more TDs, more yards, more first downs and be a better value than Portis? Its too early to tell, but the early signs point to him being a cheaper just as, if not more, productive back than CP.
Oh, s***. This debate is beginning to remind me of Sonny9TD.

Do you know why Morris broke that record? Because he wasn't the only offensive weapon. I already said it, but I'll say it again. If Portis had had a team as talented as last year's, instead of the crappy teams he had to put up with, he would have set that record way higher. Morris had a very good QB to take pressure off the running game; Portis was really the only offensive weapon while he was here. He was a much better runner than Morris.

As for the catching? I don't see any way Morris will ever get as many catches or yards as Portis had.

Blocking? Are you kidding me? Look at the video I posted; Portis was blocking like a beast near the end of the video. And that's part of the reason Portis was injured so much. He did his best on every single play. He put his body on the line every single game.

Boom. Roasted. I'm not taking anything away from Morris, because he's a very good RB, but as for an all around RB give me Portis any day of the week.

And my "Without a doubt a HOFer" comment, that's just my opinion, an opinion I know many others don't hold.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
MTK
\m/

Underrated: Cofield. Remember when everyone kept banging that "we need a true NT" drum? Yeah, take a seat.

Overrated: D. Hall. Nuff said.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Underrated: Cofield. Remember when everyone kept banging that "we need a true NT" drum? Yeah, take a seat.

Overrated: D. Hall. Nuff said.
I dunno about D. Hall... I think most people think he's overrated. Hell, I think D. Hall thinks D. Hall is overrated sometimes.

Personally, I think he's a little (but just very little) underrated but I digress...

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #30
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Look at that video I posted, and if you still say that Portis isn't worthy, we're gonna have to take this outside.
A video does not a HoFer make. I bet someone could put together a video that makes Gus Ferrote look like he's a HoFer