Riley steps down as Heat coach

Other Sports

Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Riley steps down as Heat coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
That's one of the problems, they were widely regarded as the best in the East, and they were picked to win it all...so the perception (right or wrong) was that they should have won it all and didn't (not even close actually). So a slow start meant the writing was on the wall.
Fact is, Riley did what Van Gundy couldn't / didn't do, and Riley did it with less talent IMO.
It's like you didn't even read what I wrote. Am I on your ignore list or something?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's like you didn't even read what I wrote. Am I on your ignore list or something?
Yes, I responded to you.

You are trying to say that Van Gundy took the Heat to the conference finals...well that wasn't good enough. That's what I'm saying. That was considered a failure, not a success. You are implying it was a success.

Again, Riley took them to the finals with less talent, Van Gundy had more talent and couldn't take them to the finals.

So did I misinterpret you or something?

It takes a lot for me to put someone on the ignore list. A LOT! (only 1 in all the time I've been here)
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Yes, I responded to you.

You are trying to say that Van Gundy took the Heat to the conference finals...well that wasn't good enough. That's what I'm saying. That was considered a failure, not a success. You are implying it was a success.

Again, Riley took them to the finals with less talent, Van Gundy had more talent and couldn't take them to the finals.

So did I misinterpret you or something?

It takes a lot for me to put someone on the ignore list. A LOT! (only 1 in all the time I've been here)
I don't see how Riley took them with less talent. Van Gundy got them from 25 wins to 42 wins to 59 wins (and a game 7 conference finals loss). Then the next season he was fired after 21 games in spite of the fact that Shaq (probably the most dominant player in the game at the time) missed 18 of those games.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
dmek25
MVP

im with dj on this one. i had yo say that, because it seems like it doesn't happen much.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

It isn't like he is quitting because he is "tired" he is quitting because it's hard. I know people quit work all the time, but not because it gets difficult, if they do they are no better than Riley. You quit because of personal reasons, family, career moves, etc. I see no reason why Riley has quit for any of those reasons.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
It isn't like he is quitting because he is "tired" he is quitting because it's hard. I know people quit work all the time, but not because it gets difficult, if they do they are no better than Riley. You quit because of personal reasons, family, career moves, etc. I see no reason why Riley has quit for any of those reasons.
I guess I try to see it from their perspective, not as a spectator. I seem to be the only person here that doesn't care about this issue, while others seem to think it's a big deal. To each his own. We're going to have to agree to disagree...after all, it's all about opinions.
I'll leave you with this, if you were stinkin rich, and you coached a dynasty, would you want to go through a rebuilding phase (or as you put it, a difficult change)?
If this discussion is about who was the best coach to bring a team from the ashes to riches, then Riley would not be in my top ten, or even top 50. But we can't ignore the amazing numbers he put up. He's top 5 all time. Not to point out the obvious, but he's tied for third in all time championships. That's huge!