Parkland Shooting

Debating with the enemy

Old 06-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #1
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Parkland Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I think you are confusing harmful and deadly.

Good luck mowing down a elementary school with a cheeseburger.

Plus your harmful list are things i choose or the user chooses to harm themselves with. Unless the user is using the AR 15 to kill themselves their "harmful/deadly" "need" only harms others that didn't choose to be harmed.
Way more people in this country die each year from obesity related illnesses than from gun deaths. I'd submit that all of those things can definitely be deadly.

A gun doesn't kill by itself. No inanimate object does. A gun by itself is neither harmful nor deadly. It just sits there until someone chooses to use it. There are somewhere between 10 to 20 million AR-15's owned in America. 99.99% of these guns never are used to kill anyone.

But, this is getting a bit of topic. I'm tapping out now, I have shared where I stand on the issue enough for the time being. I'll yield the last word to you, if you so choose to accept.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

We asked every senator what action should be taken on guns. Here’s what they said
Old 06-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

I hate how these conversations always break down into bickering... at the end of the day I think we can all agree nobody wants to see mass shootings, nobody wants to see innocent people gunned down, especially children in schools. Can we just do something about it already? The majority of Americans are in favor of common sense gun reform, so why is nothing being done? It's just so frustrating.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #4
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I hate how these conversations always break down into bickering... at the end of the day I think we can all agree nobody wants to see mass shootings, nobody wants to see innocent people gunned down, especially children in schools. Can we just do something about it already? The majority of Americans are in favor of common sense gun reform, so why is nothing being done? It's just so frustrating.
Mostly because one side tries to justify by comparing to something else that has nothing to do with the issue.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
This goes beyond gun control or party imo. Most politicians are in D.C. to get elected, stay elected, and get rich off of us. That means scoring points with their media supporters and staunchest voters, who aren't satisfied with anything less than 100% of what they want. I believe that most of us are willing to compromise at least somewhat. But I don't think most of us are actually represented well by our elected officials and helping out all Americans by coming together somewhere in the middle and compromising is low down on the totem pole.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:12 PM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
This goes beyond gun control or party imo. Most politicians are in D.C. to get elected, stay elected, and get rich off of us. That means scoring points with their media supporters and staunchest voters, who aren't satisfied with anything less than 100% of what they want. I believe that most of us are willing to compromise at least somewhat. But I don't think most of us are actually represented well by our elected officials and helping out all Americans by coming together somewhere in the middle and compromising is low down on the totem pole.
Both sides owe allegiance to the Party apparatus first, and that means paying homage to the big donors (abortion - planned parenthood, guns - NRA) A lot of this came about because of Reagan's " I paid for this Mic " moment. He won that point, but the party's set about to never let it happen again. That's why debates aren't independent, why the candidates have to (mostly) be vetted against the extreme base on either side, and by the time they are seated in a position to be effective they are bought and paid for by the parties.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Both sides owe allegiance to the Party apparatus first, and that means paying homage to the big donors (abortion - planned parenthood, guns - NRA) A lot of this came about because of Reagan's " I paid for this Mic " moment. He won that point, but the party's set about to never let it happen again. That's why debates aren't independent, why the candidates have to (mostly) be vetted against the extreme base on either side, and by the time they are seated in a position to be effective they are bought and paid for by the parties.
Good point on the big donors, they definitely should have been included in my post.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #8
Giantone
Gamebreaker

And then there is this..................

https://news.yahoo.com/states-rush-t...162304769.html

States rush to expand gun rights despite calls for stricter laws

WASHINGTON — Even as Democrats and some Republicans in Washington work to forge a consensus on modest gun control measures following last week’s school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, state legislatures across the country are continuing to undo existing regulations.

Monday saw a state Senate committee in Ohio debate a measure, already passed by the state House, that would make it easier for teachers to bring guns into the classroom.

“They are the good guys wanting to protect others from the bad guys. Put your trust in the good guys,” a school superintendent said in support of the bill in March, echoing the rhetoric that the National Rifle Association has used since the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., that arming teachers would make schools safer.

BULLSHIT! You just know the answer from the NRA lovers is more guns!
Old 06-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

There's a theme here I just don't know what it is though

Boulder: AR-15
Orlando: AR-15
Parkland: AR-15
Las Vegas: AR-15
Aurora Co: AR-15
Sandy Hook: AR-15
Waffle House: AR-15
San Bernadino: AR-15
Midland/Odessa: AR-15
Poway Synagogue: AR-15
Sutherland Springs: AR-15
Tree of Life Synagogue: AR-15
Buffalo: AR-15
Uvalde: AR-15
Old 06-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #10
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

............but,but it's my right !
Old 06-01-2022, 04:30 PM   #11
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:

How many years does that list of 14 shootings span?

How many other shootings or attacks were there during that same time period that did not involve an AR 15?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:40 AM   #12
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:

Are you sure some of these weren't AR15 "style" rifles. I've seen some mass shooting reporting the use of AR style rifles (including Uvalde).

That said what sort of solutions/mitigation do you recommend? I'm conservative but am not opposed to gun regulations if they make sense.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

14 examples aren't enough huh

is there really a doubt as to what the weapon of choice is when it comes to mass shootings
Old 06-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #14
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
14 examples aren't enough huh

is there really a doubt as to what the weapon of choice is when it comes to mass shootings
Do you really believe that if we completely took away AR 15s that these mentally ill individuals won't resort to some other form of violence, that they won't gravitate towards a different weapon of choice?

The sooner we can all agree that it's not the gun's fault, the sooner we'll be able to work towards a solution to put an end to the needless violent attacks on innocent people.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:50 PM   #15
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Do you really believe that if we completely took away AR 15s that these mentally ill individuals won't resort to some other form of violence, that they won't gravitate towards a different weapon of choice?

The sooner we can all agree that it's not the gun's fault, the sooner we'll be able to work towards a solution to put an end to the needless violent attacks on innocent people.
I will say I rather take my chances against a butter knife then a AR 15