Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The Home Improvement Thread

Parking Lot

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

The Home Improvement Thread

Could have sworn we had this a while ago, but I couldn't find the thread to save my life, so here goes:

My wife and I finally decided to move into town to be closer to work. Bought a really nice spec home with a large unfinished basement. I want to make it the ultimate man-cave and split off a side room to be a workout room. My dad (who works at the local home improvement place that's basically a high-end Lowe's) can get contractor prices on all materials and can do most of the work to finish off the basement.

He's insisting we go with a drop-ceiling because if we had plumbing problems later in life, we'd have to tear out a piece of the ceiling. I REALLY don't like the look of a drop ceiling and can see ourselves spending a lot of time in our basement when it's finished and don't want to feel like I'm staying in an office building.

Does anyone have any advice about cost or pros/cons of both a drop ceiling and a Sheetrock ceiling? The only variables are that my dad and I will do the floors and walls.