Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Skinzman
The Starter

Re: Fletcher to Start against Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
To Matty, JR, NC etc etc: this is what haterade looks like. This is unbridled pessimism.

I'm just disappointed in our coaching, on defense mostly, but doesn't that fall on Shanny some too because he forced this sillier-by-the-day 3-4 experiment and we're still doing it, w/o the personnel (especially on the d-line) to make it work? I would actually like to give Haslett the benefit of the doubt and say he just doesn't get the 3-4 and that's why his gameplan/adjustments have been so lacking. I'd like to think if we switched back to a 4-3 Haslett, having all his experience with it, would get us back to a top 10-15 D within a season. And I pretty much believe it's possible. I think we have talent on defense.

And I think we have pretty awesome talent on offense. And while we've made good of that talent I pretty much believe we haven't made the best of it. The running game is elite, and tomorrow will likely prove it again. But I think overall, and especially with pass play-calling and design, we're leaving a lot out on the field. The end story stats are elite, but the story in the middle is inconsistency and especially when it counts most i.e. we leave some points on the field and in ways that seem pretty redundant.
I personally think you overestimate the talent on Defense. I just dont see it with some of the people missing. Especially given our safeties, which I think are probably the worst in the league. I think its a fair amount different if we not only have T. Jackson and Meriweather (Meriweather isnt a huge upgrade, but still an upgrade), but also Orakpo and Carriker out makes the front seven not as effective in the pash rush. Having said that, I agree with the switch to 4-3 and would love Shanny to eat his ego on it and switch back, im not convinced that we jump up as much as you believe though.

As for offense, I think the system is hiding a weak offensive line, especially in the pass blocking. Kyle does get too cute at times, that I wont argue. But I think the system helps put up points that we wouldnt have otherwise. I believe a traditional NFL offense has RG3 running for his life in the passing game and makes the running game less effective. Over time, I actually hope we can transition to a more NFL type offense. But I dont think we could have done it this year. Yeah, they leave some points out there for sure, but they also get some points that they really shouldnt have gotten.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote