Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Should Augusta National Admit Women?

Debating with the enemy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
12thMan
MVP

Re: Should Augusta National Admit Women?

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone's advocating for the gov't to intervene and I'm 110% certain they won't and don't have any desire to do so. But the question on most people's minds is how can Augusta National and the Masters, a prominent sporting event and institution in it's own right, not reflect today's America in it's membership and values.

Look, it is what it is. It's not like Agusta sprung this policy on everyone a week ago. It's been in place since it's inception. As long as they're not openly hostile towards women or marginalizing their role in society, (which one could fairly argue by denying membership they are doing just that) then you know what, they can do what they please. Like I said earlier, I feel what you have here is a bunch of good old boys that love their golf, bourbon and cigars and are still holding onto the America from way back when. It's not unreasonable to say this is just as much about preserving legacy, as weird as that may sound.

The real pressure to change will probably come from within. Perhaps an insanely influential or wealthy woman connected on the inside will be the catalyst is my guess. Nothing like having a woman shame you into changing your ways. lol
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote