Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Cut Chris Samuels

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #15
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Re: Cut Chris Samuels

The left tackle is, aside from the quarterback, perhaps the most important player on any team. Samuels is a damn good left tackle (he allowed just one sack last season) and his sub-par 2003 season is mitigated by the fact that he had serious knee and ankle problems throughout the season. The guy isn't a top 5 tackle, but he can be dominant.

I do not believe that we can bank on Molinaro or Wilson filling in for Samuels. Yes, the Redskins have a keen eye for scouting offensive line talent, but that doesn't mean we should be ready to proclaim Molinaro or Wilson the next Joe Jacoby and Russ Grimm. Mark Wilson was inactive for 14 games last year and Jim Molinaro didn't start (or get significant playing time in) a single game last season. Is anyone really ready to say one of these guys can start 16 games in lieu of Samuels?

While I don't want to see the Redskins overpay to keep Samuels, face it, left tackles don't come cheap. The Colts' lef tackle Ryan Diem just got a $12,000,000 signing bonus and a deal worth somewhere around $40,000,000. Samuels will argue that he should get a sweeter deal than Diem did and I would agree.

Given that cutting Samuels will cost us about $2,500,000 and we lack solid depth at tackle, I think we should wary of letting the guy go. Free agents of Samuels' caliber don't come around often and given Gibbs' system, we need the best offensive linemen we can afford.

So let's no break the bank, but let's also remember that Samuels IS an important player at a crucial position.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote