Positives & Negatives: Coles' release

Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Positives & Negatives: Coles' release

Positives:
-If he's that unhappy where he wants out, he's the kind of guy you definitely don't want on your team. If he doesn't want to be part of what's being built here, I'm in 100% support of letting a player go no matter how good he is.

-His toe has been a topic of concern since the day we found out about it. Perhaps part of the reason the team is being so accomodating with letting him go is they feel he's just not the same WR with the toe injury. Perhaps they feel he's not a true #1 WR anymore and they could improve the situation by moving on without him.

-The cap. Since he's expected to give back a part of all of his due bonus, that at least gives the team some wiggle room to pursue a replacement and long term this might actually benefit us, especially in 2006 when the cap is supposed to be a concern for the team.

Negatives
-Coles always gave us 110% on the field. Nobody will ever question his toughness either. He seemed to be a 'core Redskin' until this bombshell.

-If he doesn't give back all of his bonus we're going to have to take a cap hit, just depends on how much.

-I'm not sure yet if this reflects more on the team or on Coles. Are things really that bad? Does Coles truly believe things aren't going to improve next year? Does he just have some philosophical differences with this staff when it comes to the offense and his role? Or is Coles just not the guy we thought he was. To be fair we never really know what goes on in these guys' heads. When the going gets tough Coles wants out? That's the last thing I thought I would ever have to say, but maybe it's true?