Locker Room Main Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #26
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am quickly coming to this decision myself. Not just because of that, but because of his defense of playing ARE, his comments on Davis - to the effect that it was Davis' fault for his lack of production because until Cooley went down the coaches couldn't get Davis going. Everything Zorn defends comes from the over cautious approach of leaving the veterans in to the DETRIMENT of the rookies/2nd year class' progress. I gave a lot of credit to SLewis(still do) but I wonder if Zorn would have been an obstacle if the season ending injuries hadn't taken place. In Zorn's statement on ARE, he took responsibility, and said that it was because he is confident in ARE, but why??? because no one else had given him that confidence, but if ARE is not executing after several games, you pull him, it shouldn't take a season meltdown for a younger player to get a chance, even if he is going to make some mistakes, he might learn from them, as opposed to ARE who is not learning anything new, just making the same mistakes over and over. (sorry for the run on sentence!) Zorn made basically the same justification for not getting FD involved, but now we see that may have been a big mistake. Same with DT, get him involved and use him even if he's not 100% pro bowl yet.

All our griping about the slow development period seems to fall onto Zorn's shoulders once you listen to his defense/explanations about why FD and ARE are doing what they are doing.

And that is the HC responsibility above and beyond playcalling, and because of his defense of the indefensible I would say Zorn needs to go.
There is no defense for having ARE return punts. He also returned them for Cowher and Joe Gibbs. He did alright for Cowher, but not for Gibbs, and he never stopped it even though we wondered why. I expect Zorn to be the one to put an end to it. Why it has taken this long I don't know but Gibbs kept him there throughout his second stint as HC as far as I can remember and he wasn't much better then. Zorn has said repeatedly it would take 2 years for the receivers to become efficient in this system as well as the QB. Trent Dilfer has commented on how complex this system is when in full force and other QB's familiar in this offense put 2-3 years as the timeline for becoming efficient in it. Could it be that as some players have said, the game is slowing down for them and they're starting to get it? I often think this staff is too cautious myself but someone like DT who acts like all he needed was the chance, couldn't even run the correct route half the time. I'm glad to see he's coming on but I find it hard to blame Zorn for him taking this long to do so. Even his own father said it takes DT 2 years to understand what to do and predicted this year he would come out strong. Davis seemed to have a case of the fumbles earlier this year, glad to see he's worked harder on holding on to the ball and put in extra time on his blocking. I guess he was just waiting to start to improve? Zorn has made mistakes but I'm not sure changing coaches is the answer at this point. As the HC he has to shoulder some blame, but not all of it. We're having growing pains but as of late, at least it appears we're growing. We're showing signs of what he said we would.

Last edited by 53Fan; 12-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote